Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Bournemouth TV dilemma, help needed

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I feel your pain.

Fortunately I have a date with Sky. a bottle of French red wine with a tankard of Talisker to follow as Albion save Kermorgant's dubiously awarded spot kick and go on to win 2-0. No, I haven't been sampling the wine or the single malt.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Surely your phone will work near the ground. It's many years since you've needed to be tethered to the wall to take part in a conference call. :shrug:

Well true, though I would probably need my laptop too. Think the noise might give me away....
I suppose a quiet pub nearby with wi fi would be good.

My working hours are normally include the evening ,though I can be flexible.

Though I'm doing the marathon on Sunday, so thinking a quiet evening Friday might be a better idea. Don't really want to drink.

Will save myself for Huddersfield on Tuesday.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I learnt from a football podcast recently that your proposed act is commonly know as: 'Doing a Likely Lads' after the famous episode of the hit 1960s sitcom where they try and get through a whole day without finding out about the result between England v Bulgaria.

This doesn't help you but it was the first that I had ever heard of it.

May 1997.

A 10 year old Mejona is gleeful when he finds out his parents are taking him to THORPE PARK.

"OMG!" I hear your cry, but no. For this is a tale of woe. For twas 17th May 1997. FA Cup Final day.

Now lets not forget, this was STILL a big day in 1997 and I was probably in my 4th year of actually being obsessed with football. Alongside the fact the FLAIRMANIACS Middlesborough were in the final (Ben Roberts in goal, Festa, Juninho, Emerson, Beck, Ravenelli......Stamp, Mustoe.....)

We recorded the whole day for me to watch when home. There was none of this smartphone nonsense around. I had done a phenomenal job of avoiding the result the WHOLE day at the Theme Park.

And then, as we are leaving, with the exit gates literally METRES away, I read a sheet of A4 stuck up on the bars "Today's FA Cup Final result is:"

I cried. I have no shame in saying it. Sheer frustration and anger.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
May 1997.

A 10 year old Mejona is gleeful when he finds out his parents are taking him to THORPE PARK.

"OMG!" I hear your cry, but no. For this is a tale of woe. For twas 17th May 1997. FA Cup Final day.

Now lets not forget, this was STILL a big day in 1997 and I was probably in my 4th year of actually being obsessed with football. Alongside the fact the FLAIRMANIACS Middlesborough were in the final (Ben Roberts in goal, Festa, Juninho, Emerson, Beck, Ravenelli......Stamp, Mustoe.....)

We recorded the whole day for me to watch when home. There was none of this smartphone nonsense around. I had done a phenomenal job of avoiding the result the WHOLE day at the Theme Park.

And then, as we are leaving, with the exit gates literally METRES away, I read a sheet of A4 stuck up on the bars "Today's FA Cup Final result is:"

England World Cup Final (rugby), 2007 clashed with Jimmy Carr gig we had tickets for. The plan was simple... record the match, straight out the gig into a taxi, immediately inform taxi driver to shut up, keep heads below window level, home, indoors, watch match, retain world cup, job's a good 'un.
Didn't even leave seats in interval for fear of hearing something at the bar.

Some kn0b jockey in the balcony heckles Jimmy during the second half with... "They Lost!". CJTC!

The number of people ready to strangle the guy was huge!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
May 1997.

That's cruel, why would they stick up a sheet of paper with the FA Cup result on it? I mean, anyone who cared could have found out on teletext when they got home or on the radio.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
So I've only gone and bloody ended up double booking myself for Friday night, forgetting the game had been moved for telly. :facepalm:

I have a Sky Go account (but not a Sky+ box, before anyone asks why I don't simply record it...), does anyone know how long it'll take for the game to show up on there on catch up? I was hoping to avoid any texts/results and watch it later that evening.

Tell her to **** off.

:jester:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's cruel, why would they stick up a sheet of paper with the FA Cup result on it? I mean, anyone who cared could have found out on teletext when they got home or on the radio.

God knows. I'm still angry about it.

If i overhear someone I would have been annoyed but could have comprehended it.

But for the powers that be at Thorpe to think that's a good idea is bloody moronic. I'm LEAVING your establishment. I'm going HOME. I'm either going to find out the result ANYWAY or I want to watch it or I'm not bothered.

At no time would the "I would like to know just as Im leaving the theme park" be an option.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's really quite simple. If you want to watch the football then do that. If not, then don't.

I fail to see the drama.

Eh? Did you read the OP? I want to watch it on catch up later than evening and was looking to find out if someone knew when it would appear on Sky Go...?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I learnt from a football podcast recently that your proposed act is commonly know as: 'Doing a Likely Lads' after the famous episode of the hit 1960s sitcom where they try and get through a whole day without finding out about the result between England v Bulgaria.

This doesn't help you but it was the first that I had ever heard of it.
Yeah you must watch that Likely Lads program. It's a cliff hanger! They were hiding all day to avoid the result. They had to pay Brian Glover who they had a bet with so he did not tell them the result and after all that when they finally get to sit down and watch the highlights of the game on TV they find out the match was postponed due to flooding ha ha! er actually it won't be such a cliffhanger for you now.
Sorry about that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here