Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Birmingham - Player Ratings

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
hyperbole aside:-

Stockdale. 8. some excellent saves (including from the deflection that lead to their goal) and distribution that put Birmingham on the back foot. For me it was his best performance of an already good season
Bruno. 8. Excellent positional play. Superb decision making. He and Kayal set March up for his exceptional performance. Struggled with Otabor's raw pace when he came on at the end
Greer 7. Organised the defence well Distributed the ball well
Dunk 7 Better discipline. On his heels after Stockdale's save so unable to get to Toral for his nod-in. Certainly not at fault and handled Madson then Vaughan well
Rosenior. 7. Genuinely dangerous going forward. Unlucky with their goal. Looked a bad injury
Stephens. 6. If there was a fault with their goal it was probably his not covering back . Looks to be regaining his early season best
Kayal. 8. Superb performance. So much went through him. Will surely get back on the scoresheet soon. His "pass" to himself round the full back by the goal line was the technical highlight of the game
Murphy 7. Excellent attacking display. Gave Caddis his hardest test of the season preventing him getting forward as he usually does to dangerous effect and as a result Demarai Gray was never really in the game
Hemed 7 really impressed with his work pulling defenders out of position and yet again unfortunate not to score
Zamora. 7 some good hold up play and quick distribution. Blessed with the ability to be in the right place and the confidence not to panic
March 9. His best display to date. Had Grounds on toast from start to finish

Calderon 6 slotted in well. Didn't let anyone down playing out of position but if he has to continue might test Dunk's positional discipline in some of the tough games ahead
Wilson. 6 He's going to score goals isn't he?! One great run to the near post and unlucky to see his shot from Kayal's through pass come back off the woodwork
Ince 5 came on too late and after their change in formation had given them the impetus. Could t plug the gaps when we were already playing too deep

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've been disappointed with this season's football (not the results, obviously, just our performances). My main complain being our inability to control a game for more than 20-30 minutes. That we are solid and defiant, but that it feels like we are reacting to opponents, rather than playing on the front foot and forcing them into reacting (plus, I just generally prefer the possession and slow build of recent years).

Today I felt we controlled the game for most of it. Again, our inability to convert chances is a concern. We seemed to settle with 2-1 by the time Wilson came on, I wonder if he'd played from the start if we would have converted more chances.

I was disappointed with the last ten minutes or so. Not because we weren't controlling the game, but because we allowed Birmingham to be more of a threat than they had any right to be given the rest of the game.

Stockdale - 7.5
Bruno - 7.5
Greer - 8
Dunk - 7
Rosenior - 7
Kayal - 8
Stephens - 7.5
March - 8.5
Murphy - 8.25
Zamora - 7.5
Hemed - 7

Calderon - 7
Wilson - 7
Ince - Not really on long enough.

It's pretty much impossible to control a game for 90mins as many know. Suprised at how harsh your comments are as you usually seem level headed. This seems out of character!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's pretty much impossible to control a game for 90mins as many know. Suprised at how harsh your comments are as you usually seem level headed. This seems out of character!

I'm not asking for us to control the game for 90 minutes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Harsh. Brilliant play for the opening goal and looked a real threat. March overshadowed him granted, but if March hadn't been so good I think Murphy would have been praised[/QUOTE]

I thought Jamie had a great game yesterday given that he lost his supporting full back and he had a lot of defending to do since they posed a threat on their right side for most of the game. Lost possession in dangerous areas a few times where we almost got punished though.

March was excellent and Bruno makes the game look so easy. I just wish he had another 5 years in him as he reads the game so well but the main man yesterday was Kayal AGAIN. he makes such brilliant angles to pass and receive the ball. He is the reason we keep possession so well

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Succeeding with 442 relies completely on having two capable central midfield players. They need to cover back, release the potential of the wingers and support in attack. We are blessed with two of the best I have seen play for brighton and if they stay fit we will get promoted.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Harsh. Brilliant play for the opening goal and looked a real threat. March overshadowed him granted, but if March hadn't been so good I think Murphy would have been praised

I thought Jamie had a great game yesterday given that he lost his supporting full back and he had a lot of defending to do since they posed a threat on their right side for most of the game. Lost possession in dangerous areas a few times where we almost got punished though.

March was excellent and Bruno makes the game look so easy. I just wish he had another 5 years in him as he reads the game so well but the main man yesterday was Kayal AGAIN. he makes such brilliant angles to pass and receive the ball. He is the reason we keep possession so well

I don't think anyone would argue that Kayal is both our best and most influential player. We'd better go up this year because, if not, I doubt he'll be playing for us next season. That said, March was even better than Kayal on Saturday, and I have Bruno down as our PotS so far, just ahead of Kayal (there are plenty of other candidates).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Football fans are a weird bunch, aren't they?

We look on and scoff at so called fans of supposedly bigger teams and suggest they only support them because they're in the premier league. Plastics, we call them. These people who happen to support Man Utd and live far away, we suggest they only like them because they are winning the premier league title. Not us. We're fans of our local team because there's so much more to football than winning or losing.

We face teams like Big Sam's West Ham and console ourselves with the home loss that sure, they won, but you'd hate to watch that sort of football every week.

"Boring, boring Arsenal!" sing the opposition fans as Arsenal trudge away 1-0 win after 1-0 win to title success.

Yet the moment someone expresses disappointment with our performances, expresses a preference for a different type of football (the type of football that was being heralded by the most of our fanbase a couple of years ago as we looked down our noses at opposition playing 442, long balls, etc) suddenly I have to shut up because we're winning (something I have mentioned I am happy about, btw) and that trumps everything else.

But we're nothing like either of those teams. We're solid at the back but also offer a lot going forward. We're definitely more direct this year (although since LuaLua's injury we've been less direct as we don't have his pace) but we're not playing long ball. I can't understand how anyone can not have loved this season so far. The football has been fast, counter attacking football. The kind that gets teams up from this division (e.g. Bournemouth and Watford last season). I remember watching the Derby home game last year and thinking we were miles off their attacking football (although we somehow won the game in the end). This season, we've managed to replicate that in a lot of ways. Ipswich away is a classic example.

It feels like some people on here just have to moan about something. I rated Poyet but a lot of the football under him could be quite dull. Hughton's team are far more exciting and have a lot more attacking intent. If you're not loving this season, I almost feel there's no hope for you and you might as well stop going.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't think anyone would argue that Kayal is both our best and most influential player. We'd better go up this year because, if not, I doubt he'll be playing for us next season. That said, March was even better than Kayal on Saturday, and I have Bruno down as our PotS so far, just ahead of Kayal (there are plenty of other candidates).

Agree about this. It worries me that Kayal and Stephens both only have a year left on their contracts after this season. It would be great to tie them both down to longer contracts.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Harsh. Brilliant play for the opening goal and looked a real threat. March overshadowed him granted, but if March hadn't been so good I think Murphy would have been praised

March was excellent and Bruno makes the game look so easy. I just wish he had another 5 years in him as he reads the game so well but the main man yesterday was Kayal AGAIN. he makes such brilliant angles to pass and receive the ball. He is the reason we keep possession so well[/QUOTE]

And Kayal and Stephens have developed such a great partnership. They know when to drop back/move further forward and work really well together. They are the basis of what is a fantastic team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Succeeding with 442 relies completely on having two capable central midfield players. They need to cover back, release the potential of the wingers and support in attack. We are blessed with two of the best I have seen play for brighton and if they stay fit we will get promoted.

Kayal and Stephens have developed such a great partnership. They know when to drop back/move further forward and work really well together. They are the basis of what is a fantastic team.

In a nutshell - this is the 'secret'.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Stockdale - 8 No chance with goal. Superb stop late on.

Bruno - 8 Another great performance
Greer - 8 Finally back to his former self. Has been getting better and better all season
Dunk - 6 Seems to be going the other way. Out of position for goal
Rosenior - 7 Had looked comfortable covering for Bong. He will be missed.

Murphy - 7
Stephens - 8 Best midfield pairing in the division surely?
Kayal - 9 Electrifying performance. Bossed the midfield. Would have been MOTM but for.............
March - 10 I am so pleased that he has found his form again. He was simply just too good for them. Confidence flowing. Defenders looked scared of him. Great stuff

Bobby - 7 DId his job and scored his goal. A true legend.
Hemed - 6 Bit lucklustre. Maybe a goal will reignite him.

Legend - 7 Good job when he came on.
Wilson - 7 Hee hee! I think we found a good one there. Nice job TB & CH
Ince - 6 Brought on to do the shoring up job.

IMO our most entertaining performance of the season. At times we played like Barcelona. Outclassed yet another team and should have had four or five. Our failure to bury teams that we outplay and outclass is still a bit of a concern.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree about this. It worries me that Kayal and Stephens both only have a year left on their contracts after this season. It would be great to tie them both down to longer contracts.

It would be great to, but I suspect both will wait to see where we are at the end of the season before committing. Unlike others, I don't see either leaving in January especially if we're still there-or-thereabouts then. I also don't see the club sanctioning a sale, unless there's a ridiculous offer that comes in, and I can't see that happening because: Championship clubs won't be able to afford that and we'll be far less likely to sell to them anyway; PL clubs will probably be looking elsewhere for reinforcements -- and those threatened with relegation ought to give Stephens and Kayal pause for thought about their futures.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Stockdale 8
Bruno 8
Greer 8
Dunk 7
Rosenior 8 (Calderon 7)
Kayal 8
Stephens 7
Murphy 7
March 9
Hemed 6 (the weakest link)
Zamora 7

Wilson 7
Ince 6

What can you say about Solly? Growing in confidence and maturity with every game, he was on fire. Grounds will be one of many left backs to leave Sussex not knowing his arse from his elbow.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
First time this season I really felt we've got a promotion winning side.

They looked superb on Saturday following on from a good performance at Burnley. We still need a striker who can be relied upon to put away chances, apart from Bobby's cameos, but Wilson could well be the real deal, I think.

Only real concern is our mounting injury list. If we can get everyone fit again I think we're an excellent bet for automatic promotion never mind the playoffs!

Anyone know what the prognosis for Bong, KLL and Rosenior is?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Mainly very solid 7s
Bruno and Murphy get 8
Kayal gets 9
March gets 9 and a bit. ...that said I know nothing about the quality of their full back, he might look like a complete Muppet every week.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Player Ratings

Highest Rated
March 9.37 (101mins, 31 votes)

The Rest
Kayal 8.55 (101mins, 31 votes)
Bruno 7.89 (101mins, 31 votes)
Greer 7.89 (101mins, 31 votes)
Stockdale 7.89 (101mins, 31 votes)
Murphy 7.48 (101mins, 31 votes)
<Zamora 7.35 (71mins, 31 votes)
Stephens 7.32 (101mins, 31 votes)
<Rosenior 7.13 (27mins, 30 votes)
>Calderon 7.03 (74mins, 30 votes)
>Wilson 7.02 (30mins, 29 votes)
Dunk 6.82 (101mins, 31 votes)
>Ince 6.20 (13mins, 27 votes)
<Hemed 6.19 (88mins, 31 votes)

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Average Player Ratings

Highest Rated
March 9.37 (101mins, 31 votes)

The Rest
Kayal 8.55 (101mins, 31 votes)
Bruno 7.89 (101mins, 31 votes)
Greer 7.89 (101mins, 31 votes)
Stockdale 7.89 (101mins, 31 votes)
Murphy 7.48 (101mins, 31 votes)
<Zamora 7.35 (71mins, 31 votes)
Stephens 7.32 (101mins, 31 votes)
<Rosenior 7.13 (27mins, 30 votes)
>Calderon 7.03 (74mins, 30 votes)
>Wilson 7.02 (30mins, 29 votes)
Dunk 6.82 (101mins, 31 votes)
>Ince 6.20 (13mins, 27 votes)
<Hemed 6.19 (88mins, 31 votes)

Is the average (deserved) rating for March one of the highest ever given on here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here