Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton V Palace the closest derbys

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Under a three-points-for-a-win system, we would have won the Division Two title in 1978/79 and Palace would have finished third.
Although if we're going to play that game, I think we might have a been a non-league club in 1997-98!

There's no doubting the Nigels have won the ones that matter in recent times, unfortunately - I'd reel them off but it's too depressing. Our time will come though.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
'Division Two Championship Winners Ready'

The club is being run as a business should be run, and it has the fundamentals in place, so it is Premier League ready. Of course, there are other ways of reaching the Promised Land.

Dec 3, 2012
I'm not sure I agree with that at all. Yes our rivals were Millwall, but I'd imagine the vast majority of our fans and the vast majority of yours would definitely see each other as rivals. You guys also have a rivalry with Pompey and Southampton, and yes we have one with Millwall (not really with Charlton despite the close proximity...no one really cares about Charlton) but I've always felt Brighton were our main rivalry. I appreciate that it all came out of a spat in the Spurs dressing room when El Tel missed out on the captaincy but it's grown into an organic rivalry and certainly bares no resemblance to a manufactured one anymore.

Its a rivalry where the 2 clubs hardly ever play in the same division. For 20 odd years it became an irrelevance to many Palace fans that I know, they stopped looking at Brighton's results and some weren't even sure what division they were in at times.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Have you any idea how desperate that sounds?

I was simply making the point, because it is a little-known fact and it is pertinent to the discussion.

If you choose to interpret the comment as desperation…

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
What like winning play offs you mean?

Like going bust twice and not suffering the inconvenience of paying your debts.

If I kept having my debts written off, I would be able to dispense with the clapped-out Morris Minor and buy that Porsche that I’ve had my eye on.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012

Dec 3, 2012
Like going bust twice and not suffering the inconvenience of paying your debts.

If I kept having my debts written off, I would be able to dispense with the clapped-out Morris Minor and buy that Porsche that I’ve had my eye on.

Can't think of too many "Porsche's" that Palace have bought.

The fact is that once in admin Palace didn't break any rules, they suffered the points deduction, lost a good manager and good players for cut price money and still managed to stay up. I'm afriad to say that this all sounds like sour grapes and is an attitude that probably makes alot of Palace fans laugh because, lets face it, it's all Brighton fans have to throw at them. They've dominated the so called rivalry for decades. In the 2 years the clubs played in the same division most recently Brighton won 1 game out of 6 then Palace got promoted again. Says it all really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here