Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton v Ipswich: which club is bigger?

Brighton v Ipswich: which club is bigger?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Roll on the start of the new season, this thread is embarrassing.
You have a very low threshold for what’s embarrassing!

In answer to the question, I don’t give a shit and other than maybe wanting to nick their manager I have no interest in Ipswich and I think their ground is a bit shit :shrug:

Not as shit as Withdean or Gillingham though

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Whilst neither club is as MASSIVE as that club from Sheffield, which is the bigger minnow, Brighton or Ipswich?
Why is that a question? It just promotes antagonism between two sets of fans.
Do we really want to go down the same road as other entitled clubs such as Chelsea and others that have belittled Brighton time and time again?
I thought we were better than that.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Fixed.

If you were 15 or 16 in 1997, you'll remember Brighton as a tin pot club struggling to stay in the league and playing in front of literally only 5 gates over 10,000 over a period of about 6 seasons.
Yes but times change. Brighton have been miles ahead of Ipswich for the last decade, and the is over a quarter of somebody's like who was 15 or 16 in 1997.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Why is that a question? It just promotes antagonism between two sets of fans.
Do we really want to go down the same road as other entitled clubs such as Chelsea and others that have belittled Brighton time and time again?
I thought we were better than that.
I’ve been to Portman Road, The Goldstone, Priestfield, Withdean & the Amex and imho Portman Road is a wonderful Old School Ground, better situated in their town than ours is in Brighton & let’s be frank a far better atmosphere

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ipswich achievements

• League Champions: Division One - 1961/62,
  • Division Two - 1960/61, 1967/68, 1991/92,
  • Division Three South - 1953/54, 1956/57.
  • FA Cup winners: 1978.
  • UEFA Cup winners: 1981.
  • Texaco Cup winners: 1973 (League Cup)

Brighton achievements

Charity Shield 1910
Second Division / Championship (level 2). Runners-up: 1978–79, 2016–17 ·
Third Division South / League One (level 3). Champions: 1957–58, 2001–02, 2010–11.

el punal

Sigh.

Both sides are provincial "other 14"s who regularly sell out their 30,000ish capacity stadiums. They have the past success, we have the infrastructure and players right this minute, so it depends how you want to measure it.
I would say similar. You can lump us, Ipswich, Southampton, Norwich and, possibly and potentially, Bristol City, Middlesbrough, Stoke as having similar sized stadiums and fan bases. Historically we’ve all had our moments in the sun but we will never achieve the constant battle at the top like London or the other big city clubs because of their size, stature and financial resources.

Last season (2022/23) and to a point, this season, we have been the interlopers when challenging the so called Big Six. whether we can maintain bloodying their noses in the future - who knows? I would like to believe that with the incredible young talent that we have and appointing a coach as inspiring as De Zerbi that that is very possible.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Fixed.

If you were 15 or 16 in 1997, you'll remember Brighton as a tin pot club struggling to stay in the league and playing in front of literally only 5 gates over 10,000 over a period of about 6 seasons.
I voted Ipswich for the history. Obviously it's us now. I was 17 in 97 and we were dropping out the football league. We lost a whole generation of fans that i feel may have been clawed back due to how well we are doing now.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
We have a bigger fanbase these days.

For me, that's the only relevant metric when it comes to determining the 'size' of the club. A football club is its fans.

el punal

Ipswich achievements

• League Champions: Division One - 1961/62,
  • Division Two - 1960/61, 1967/68, 1991/92,
  • Division Three South - 1953/54, 1956/57.
  • FA Cup winners: 1978.
  • UEFA Cup winners: 1981.
  • Texaco Cup winners: 1973 (League Cup)

Brighton achievements

Charity Shield 1910
Second Division / Championship (level 2). Runners-up: 1978–79, 2016–17 ·
Third Division South / League One (level 3). Champions: 1957–58, 2001–02, 2010–11.
That was then, this is now. No doubt we’ll do the quadruple in 2024/25 with Pep as our new coach. There’s always hope!

el punal

We have a bigger fanbase these days.

For me, that's the only relevant metric when it comes to determining the 'size' of the club. A football club is its fans.
I read an article a year ago (sorry, can’t remember the sauce!) showing stats of biggest, unopposed fan bases in the country based geographically. As it happens our catchment area being Sussex means we can draw a potential one million fans as the two nearest clubs are Portsmouth and them up the road. Crawley, by the way never came into it. Obviously the information is misleading as the biggest support for Liverpool, other than Merseyside, is in South Wales! Arsenal have the highest number of fans living in the ‘Home Counties’ - south east England to you.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We’ve been bigger than them for 10 years, they can have the other 115.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here