Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton v Chelsea highlights 1973

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Never seen this Big Match footage before of the 'Brighton Brawl'.

Two sendings off (one for Ron Harris), five bookings (unheard of then - these days there'd be 4 or 5 reds judging by some of the tackles!). Commentator was Jimmy Hill - who also does the post-match analysis of the 'disgraceful' player behaviour.

Looks like a few of the North Stand boys trying to invade the pitch too.

The Goldstone floodlights don't help the footage, but an entertaining watch that seems like it's from a lifetime ago (well, it almost is).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Interesting opening few seconds. Would that be a goal now after VAR...?

Amazing that is 51 years ago... not surprising that tactics have evolved - defenders too deep and keeper staying back on his line asking for trouble

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not seen that before; I had a Saturday job then, so only went to evening games and Sunday kick-offs - 1973, 1974 and the first half of 1975 were no-nos (which meant that I did miss the Bristol Rovers 8-2)

Both of Chelsea's disallowed goals looked OK to me, particularly the second - Baldwin was clearly behind the ball

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I was there and got a better view than the TV cameras of the boxing between George Ley and Osgood. Kember should definitely have gone too after kicking Steve Piper up in the air, and maybe more. Never heard of that Sullivan who was one of our better players.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Candles at the Goldstone?

I don't remember the floodlights being particularly dim, was it hard-times for us and we hadn't replaced any of the blown bulbs for a while?

No sign of any fannying around at the back either.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was in the South Stand with my dad. No segregation at all but I don't remember any significant trouble. It was a welcome break from the depressing league form and a respectable performance.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Was still a bit young and lacking in cash (just pre paper round times) to go regularly, but I do remember going to the Middlesbrough match the previous month because a team of us were allowed in for free in exchange for going round with a collection box. I really don’t remember what it was for but watching those highlights I reckon it could easily have been for floodlight upgrading!!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Never seen this Big Match footage before of the 'Brighton Brawl'.

Two sendings off (one for Ron Harris), five bookings (unheard of then - these days there'd be 4 or 5 reds judging by some of the tackles!). Commentator was Jimmy Hill - who also does the post-match analysis of the 'disgraceful' player behaviour.

Looks like a few of the North Stand boys trying to invade the pitch too.

The Goldstone floodlights don't help the footage, but an entertaining watch that seems like it's from a lifetime ago (well, it almost is).

Thanks for posting. This was my first ever Albion game, 7 years old up in the west stand with my dad because the guy who normally sat next to him couldn’t go.

I don’t really remember much about it except the awful Chelsea kit and the fact that we lost. My dad later told me that he had to explain to me several times that it was 2-0 and not 4-0 as I didn’t then grasp the concept of the disallowed goal

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Lots of trouble at that match.
Poor segregation in the North Stand led to it all kicking off when Chelsea scored their first goal.
I got arrested for fighting with their fans and got a £40 fine, which was about 2 weeks wages for me then!
I was in the NS and I was standing next to a guy who I think was named Rudd when about 10 Chelsea wanabees came up and asked for a fight. It was packed but suddenly a hole opened up in the NS and for a few seconds nobody did anything then it exploded with fists and boots and the Chelsea boys took a hell of a beating. One of my mates was arrested in this fight. You might have been one of the others.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lots of trouble at that match.
Poor segregation in the North Stand led to it all kicking off when Chelsea scored their first goal.
I got arrested for fighting with their fans and got a £40 fine, which was about 2 weeks wages for me then!
It was kicking off everywhere at that game. I thought it was all ticket so why was segregation an issue. Maybe it was Potg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Candles at the Goldstone?

I don't remember the floodlights being particularly dim, was it hard-times for us and we hadn't replaced any of the blown bulbs for a while?

No sign of any fannying around at the back either.
Our floodlights were terrible and we missed out on tv coverage for a few night games. Didn’t we buy second hand ones off Stoke or something

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was there and got a better view than the TV cameras of the boxing between George Ley and Osgood. Kember should definitely have gone too after kicking Steve Piper up in the air, and maybe more. Never heard of that Sullivan who was one of our better players.
Are you whooshing ?

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I was in the NS and I was standing next to a guy who I think was named Rudd when about 10 Chelsea wanabees came up and asked for a fight. It was packed but suddenly a hole opened up in the NS and for a few seconds nobody did anything then it exploded with fists and boots and the Chelsea boys took a hell of a beating. One of my mates was arrested in this fight. You might have been one of the others.
Yes, Rudd was a big fella.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here