Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Town and City (for those that were there and are here)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm from Hove, actually! Had regular sorties into Brighton, either fishing from the piers....yes I remember fishing from the West pier, or the Suite, Sherrys, the ones on the front, Revolution? Jenkinsons?
We used to go full on smoothie to the Kings club in 3 piece suits. I remember pulling a really old bird down there.....she was 23!!
Plenty of other times and other places until joining the forces. On returning, it was never the same as the mates I hung round with I realised were very immature.
A brilliant area for younger people, but a real pita for an aging grumpy old man

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The self styled King of the Mods.
His knowledge of Soul and Motown was legendary, and he imported some great records when he worked at Sounds Unlimited in North Street.

He had his own room in the basement, didn't he? A wall of singles on shelves ...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Favourite Brighton hangouts, chronologically:

Astoria saturday morning pictures 1969

Withdean youth club 1974

The Prestonville 1979

Shades 1980

Sea House 1981

Top Rank Suite gigs

Robin Hood 1983

Windsor Tavern 1984

Lord Nelson 1990

Duke of Wellington 2010

Concorde 2 gigs

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

scooter1

How soon is now?
I do like these threads, where it seems so many of our paths will have crossed throughout the years.
A few mentions for the Suite on a Saturday morning, but what about Mr Ks? Brighton was a great town to grow up in, from being a nuisance in the West st arcades on a Saturday to growing into pubs and clubs over the years. I shudder now at some of my formative behaviour, but it’s part of growing up and nobody got hurt

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I do like these threads, where it seems so many of our paths will have crossed throughout the years.
A few mentions for the Suite on a Saturday morning, but what about Mr Ks? Brighton was a great town to grow up in, from being a nuisance in the West st arcades on a Saturday to growing into pubs and clubs over the years. I shudder now at some of my formative behaviour, but it’s part of growing up and nobody got hurt

Ah yes, the arcades! Saturday morning there and afternoon at the game with school mates in my mid teens. This would be around the time the entire North Stand were sporting electric blue Lois cords.

What I didn't realise, until I read this thread in NSC Gold was that the slightly older kids we looked up to were waiting until we stuck our real paper round money in the slots and cleaning up. What a mug :lolol:

Nobby Horton's Knob

Aug 4, 2019
Portsmuff
Born 1970
Lived above the butchers on the corner of St Pauls St/Lewes Rd
Watched the Lewes Rd viaduct come down and Sainsburys go up
Grew up in 1970s Woodingdean
6ft snow drifts in winter
Mr Lacey
The Lawnmower shop opposite the Downs hotel
The no. 42 Brighton Corporation bus that went down Bear Rd
Ghazells (sp?) in Warren Rd
Being a horny boy, used to watch the women playing tennis at the tennis courts in the 'New' park, in a bid to see their tennis knickers when they served!
The burnt house , at the junction of CDN and Downs Valley Rd

All this probably means very little to anyone who didn't grow up in Woodingdean in the 70s/80s, but it's nice to reminisce!

Last edited:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Beechwood Avenue, lost virginity. If found.....
Rex, W. The W stood for ******.
I hated school, Fawcett Annexe.
Gutbuster at The Market Diner.
Han(g)over F.C.
Tour de France chucking sweets out along the way.
Old Bill, always giving me producers.
Naughty friend, peer pressure v Chelsea, put away.
Albion with a broken wrist in plaster. South stand.
Nudists, standing atop the privacy bank, showing out.
Downs Hotel, was knocked out on my 18th birthday.
Home in Hollingbury and later Woodingdean.
Otherwise it could've been Hong Kong.
Violence in the streets after Coasters.
E.F language school students.
Arches, Funky Buddha Lounge.
Lucy, my first, you lucky girl.
BlackBoys, the magic mushroom field.
I lost my Mum in 87, still greatly missed. I was 21.
Officer, I swear I didn't knock your titty hat off.
Nightlife everywhere for everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here