Brighton Tigers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Correct. As you go out of the marina it's the bit as you go round the bend to the right with all the graffiti. It's where a lot of graff artists go to paint. And where a few raves are thrown every now and again.

That's what I thought. Reckon that must mean they'll hack down all the bushes nearby then...

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Be ironic though, a team that's been extinct for 40 years gets a stadium before us.

Great move though, still think tearing down the S.S Brighton Building and replacing it with the pug ugly Kingwest was one of the worst things to do to 20th century Brighton.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
bigc said:
Be ironic though, a team that's been extinct for 40 years gets a stadium before us.

Great move though, still think tearing down the S.S Brighton Building and replacing it with the pug ugly Kingwest was one of the worst things to do to 20th century Brighton.

Or another way, The Tigwers have been waiting 40 years to get a new stadium!

And some people on here are moaning about waiting 10 years!

tsk!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
ali jenkins said:
Or another way, The Tigwers have been waiting 40 years to get a new stadium!

And some people on here are moaning about waiting 10 years!

tsk!

Or the Tigers have been waiting 40 years for the

F-I-X-T-U-R-E-S

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bigc said:

There's a lot of competition though: the Marina itself is a truly hideous construction, the original Churchill Square was horrific - and the replacement's not much better, the Sainsburys that's replaced the Cox factory is disgusting, as is the Boots that's replaced the Regent cinema.

I don't know what's worse: the NIMBYs who stop all development or the vandals of the 60s who pulled down everything and anything.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Gwylan said:
There's a lot of competition though: the Marina itself is a truly hideous construction, the original Churchill Square was horrific - and the replacement's not much better, the Sainsburys that's replaced the Cox factory is disgusting, as is the Boots that's replaced the Regent cinema.

I don't know what's worse: the NIMBYs who stop all development or the vandals of the 60s who pulled down everything and anything.

Perhaps they are somewhat to blame for the surge of the NIMBY movement.

Again, I wouldn't be SO harsh on the Lewes Road Sainsburys.

My dad was a huge fan of the Tigers and always talked about them being the Liverpool of the Ice Hockey world. He was mates with many of the players and worked with a few at the fruit and veg market.

Ironically I visited him in hospital yesterday with a copy of the Argus to read. He was told that day that he's got liver cancer and there's nothing that can be done. The Tigers story was probably the one thing that brought a smile to his face.

I hope that this Ice Hockey venue is built almost as much as I hope Falmer is built - because sport is such an integral part of many peoples lives in Brighton & Hove, especially for the people of my dads generation. Because of him I support the Albion, Sussex CCC and although I never saw them, The Brighton Tigers too.

So Ruth Kelly, do the right thing and grant us Falmer - and ensure that so many of us can continue to have a history to be proud of.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
TCR, that's a great and very moving post. Please wish your dad all the best, I really hope and pray he gets a chance to see Falmer and/or the Brighton Tigers - the powers that be owe it to fans like him.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tommy Cook reporting said:
My dad was a huge fan of the Tigers and always talked about them being the Liverpool of the Ice Hockey world. He was mates with many of the players and worked with a few at the fruit and veg market.

Ironically I visited him in hospital yesterday with a copy of the Argus to read. He was told that day that he's got liver cancer and there's nothing that can be done. The Tigers story was probably the one thing that brought a smile to his face.

I hope that this Ice Hockey venue is built almost as much as I hope Falmer is built - because sport is such an integral part of many peoples lives in Brighton & Hove, especially for the people of my dads generation. Because of him I support the Albion, Sussex CCC and although I never saw them, The Brighton Tigers too.

So Ruth Kelly, do the right thing and grant us Falmer - and ensure that so many of us can continue to have a history to be proud of.
Brilliant post! Totally agree and it makes me hate our opponents even more to think that people like your Dad probably won't get the chance to see Brighton become a modern city with amenities catering for all tastes. Let's hope the planning permission for both projects gets granted soon and that your Dad is still around to go to the first games at Falmer and Black Rock.

All the best.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Tommy Cook, my thoughts are with you and your dad. It just brought home to me how many fans of the Albion, and indeed the Tigers, have left us without knowing whether their teams would get their own permanent home again...or in the latter case be resurrected.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
They'd sound harder if they were called the Brighton Honey Badgers

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hi Yorkie

Brighton Tigers was a great time for this City, however gotta correct you on one thing mate.

Rupe Fresher is not from Canada, just a South london guy I am afraid !!

Funny really as many of the players from the 50's and 60's ended up living in Peacehaven !!

Mike O'Brien, Rupe Fresher, John Cooke, Tim Wiltshire, Roy Yates, Nipper Millard, Nobby Richardson.

All have children from Peacehaven born and Bred !!!

Regards

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yorkie said:
That has made my day. I used to go to the Goldstone for football on a Saturday afternoon and ice hockey on a Sunday evening.
We were the best. The season we were disbanded we won the Championship and the cup beating Wembley Lions away.
Rupe Fresher was our Canadian captain and if they broke their sticks you could go round, pick up a decent remnant and get the players to sign it. I had my Rupe one for years/

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Hi Yorkie

Brighton Tigers was a great time for this City, however gotta correct you on one thing mate.

Rupe Fresher is not from Canada, just a South london guy I am afraid !!

Funny really as many of the players from the 50's and 60's ended up living in Peacehaven !!

Mike O'Brien, Rupe Fresher, John Cooke, Tim Wiltshire, Roy Yates, Nipper Millard, Nobby Richardson.

All have children from Peacehaven born and Bred !!!

Regards

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
BigGully said:
Peacehaven born and Bred !!!

Oh good God no. Don't tell me there's another one...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Turkey said:

"The arena is a great idea - I follow the football team and it might be that Brighton is more of an ice hockey town."

Paper says proposed so cant have permission to build yet?

:angry: More of an Ice Hocky Town!

-----------------------------

It got approved but when the skyscaper thingy down the marina got approved they wanted to link them up so they withdrew and re-applied with a bridge connecting it to the arm and towers. :bounce:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Kool look forward to seeing Sussex get a top flight Ice Hockey team if it gets the goahead. Be great for Sussex sport and should get the crowds as know a few are still into Ice Hockey, heard a bit about the Tigers from older Sussex folk be nice to see them reborn.

Notts County Lass

Dec 24, 2003
Nottingham
Good news! I'd guess the Tigers would be members of the Elite League rather than the Premier League (the names of all the various ice hockey leagues is quite confusing :lolol: ).

I'm a big Nottingham Panthers supporter myself, we also played around the same time as the Tigers did. The last game of our 'original era' was the British Championship final second leg against the Tigers in 1960. Tigers won 6-5 on aggregate after overtime. We reappeared in 1980 and are the only old name left in top flight ice hockey.

Nobody thought ice hockey would re-establish itself in Nottingham but within weeks of our reformation we were playing to sellout crowds in our old rink and eventually the National Ice Centre had to be built to house us. I can't see why it can't take off again down there.

I would be great to have a Brighton team on board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports