Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
My grandad was Canadian and moved here after the war. And as a true Canadian loved his hockey, he loved the tigers and was gutted when they were disbanded and the rink closed. The tigers were awsome and the most feared hockey team in Britain, and typical of Brighton council flew in the face of public opinion and shut them down.

Sent by Derek Achora via the spirit world.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
This is where ppl used to hang out - and loads of coffee bars too apparently she says - the kids these days have no where to go really - not inside where they can be safe and warm - I bet it was much more fun growing up in those days!!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My dad played for the Cubs as well. The boots and the Stick I used belonged to him.

qs2011-bailey1953-3_1_1.png

In looking for the photo, I came across a fact I didn't know. The conversion to an Ice Rink was paid for by the Mayor of Bournemouth, no wonder we are becoming their feeder team.

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I was lucky enough to have a season ticket for Tigers last season at the old Sports Stadium (SS Brighton) back in 1965. I was 12 and used to go with my older brother, can still remember the final game against Paisley Mohawks, standing room only and not a dry eye in the house. Tigers were semi-pros, as all of the british teams were back then and most of the players used to work locally. Tigers captain for their last few years was Roy Sheperd who owned a garage in Southwick, and one of our best ever forwards, Jackie Dryburgh, worked with my Mum at the old Metal Box factory in Fishersgate. Tigers most famous player and coach, Bobby Lee, ran The Windmill pub in Southwick for years and their most famous goalminder, Gibb Hutchinson, was our neighbour in Upper Shoreham road. The atmosphere Sunday nights at the old SS Brighton had to be experienced to be believed, that last season every game was standing room only. One incident that sticks in my mind was the night Tigers played Durham Wasps, the SS Brighton management had invited the bosses of Top Rank to the game to see what a great spectacle Ice Hockey was. This was in the hope they would build a big enough rink in the proposed new complex so that Ice Hockey could continue in Brighton. Durham had a reputation as one of the dirtier teams at the time and the game ended up in one of the biggest fights ever seen at SS Brighton. Nearly every player from both teams ended up slugging it out on the ice. It even made the front page of the Argus complete with a photo of the mass brawl. We all thought it was brilliant, the bosses of Top Rank didn't!! Losing Brighton Tigers was a very sad loss to the town, seeing Ice Hockey live is nothing like watching it on TV, the speed and excitement is unbelievable.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Is that what the rink looked like ? What a fantastic building,

It was, a bit run down as things were in those days. One side had a upper tier of seating, I have just seen the inside of the Olympic Ice Stadium, I half closed my eyes and squinted and I was back standing on the ice. :cry:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My uncle played for them just after the second world war. He was a Canadian serviceman.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
My old man got a puck in the mooey once(still got it indoors),I think it was when Liam Dickenson was playing for the Tigers.

My mum got the puck on the forehead once and still has a tiny scar to prove it - she had to have a couple of stitches in the wound by the physio guy - lol that would never happen these days - there would have been a claim and everything - she saw it as a bit of a trophy wound I think!!! And enjoyed the fuss she received from the guys I expect x

I remember going on a Sunday evening in the early 60's wearing my Black and Gold bomber jacket. It was a fantastic way to end the weekend with a tremendous atmosphere and almost universal success. I always recall a player called Rupe Fresher - great name who I think was Canadian.
On a different tack my Mum was the wardrobe mistress at the Ice Rink for the shows which were put on there and some of the stars used to board with us during that time, including an ex world champion - still got some autographed photos somewhere. She offered to teach me to skate but I wasn't interested at the time.

I used to go every Sunday - fantastic atmosphere.

Definiely the best team in the country although Wembley Lions used to tun us close.

Esso were running a "put a tiger in your tank" advertising campaign at the time and gace away fluffy tiger tails - everyone had them hanging from their rear view mirroer (or handlebars)

Happy days!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My grandpop used to go, loved it.

Wish there was a team here now. I ruddy love ice hockey but have to go up to Guidlford to watch it.

Anyone who has not been, worth a visit. About £8 for adults, about half the games kids under 16 go free. A lot of Sunday evening games.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I remember going on a Sunday evening in the early 60's wearing my Black and Gold bomber jacket. It was a fantastic way to end the weekend with a tremendous atmosphere and almost universal success. I always recall a player called Rupe Fresher - great name who I think was Canadian.
On a different tack my Mum was the wardrobe mistress at the Ice Rink for the shows which were put on there and some of the stars used to board with us during that time, including an ex world champion - still got some autographed photos somewhere. She offered to teach me to skate but I wasn't interested at the time.

Sounds cool - black and gold bomber jacket!!! waaahey -

sounds like my big hair and shoulder pads in the 80's!!!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Strange as it may seem many of the Brighton Tigers of the 50' & 60's seemed to end up living in Peacehaven, I am assured that at that time they were bigger than the Albion.

Mike O'Brien, John Cook, Roy Yeates, Tim Wiltshire, Jack Mcdonald, Rupe Fresher, Nobby Richardson, Nipper Millard and no doubt a few more to boot.

Their children inevitably ended up growing up there.

I know a few of them and those players still have reunions, but of course many of this era are now quite elderly or passed on.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Rupe Fresher was a South London boy, who settled in Peacehaven, I know his children who have emigrated to Oz.

Rupe too emigrated, and is 79/80 years old now and spends time between Oz and Canada and the odd stop over in Peacehaven !!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Anyone know if there is any hope with that new rink at the Marina?

Far a I remember they lost their funding, I believe they have recently found funding for it DEC 11 but that is the last I've heard

Here is their website but nothing has changed for a few years. If it does go ahead though it would be home to a new Brighton Tigers.
Brighton

These are also interesting sites.

Ice Rink Proposals sussexiceskatingclub

There was planning permission granted for a Portslade one but it may be on hold now that BIA has found funding.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
It was, a bit run down as things were in those days. One side had a upper tier of seating, I have just seen the inside of the Olympic Ice Stadium, I half closed my eyes and squinted and I was back standing on the ice. :cry:
It had upper tiers on both sides of the arena as can be seen from this photo taken the day after Tigers last game in October 1965. Also,there were no plexi-glass barriers like modern Ice hockey stadiums have, just some netting behind one goal and wire mesh sections behind the other. The seating on both sides had no protection and if a fight broke out on the barriers it was not unusual to see members of the crowd getting involved. One game I even saw a quite demure respectable looking lady clout one of the opposing players with her handbag as he tussled with one of the Tigers!
Tigers also always came on to the ice to a recorded vocal rendition of 'Sussex by the sea'.

ss_brighton_interior.jpg

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I went to a load of games in the early 60's and loved it as much as watching the Albion. I remember the Durham game in 1965. At one point one of the Durham forwards started climbing up the wall to try and get to us supporters in the front of the balcony as we were really giving him grief. I've never moved as fast in my life as this enormous geezer appeared over the balcony waving his hockey stick at me!

The Tigers were truly the best side in the Uk and would often go a season unbeaten at home and pretty much away. Nobody could touch them and it was very sad when it closed.

As an aside do any of you remember going to the main bar after the match and listening to the local groups. I think Bobby Samson highlighted most weeks. What memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here