Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton still keen on Cardiff winger Craig Conway

Dec 29, 2011
Unless another club wants to pay a fee for him in January isn't the smart move taking him back on loan for the rest of the season ? Conway then has the second half of the campaign to win a permanent deal.

I doubt Cardiff would let his contract run out by sending him on loan. We'd obviously be willing to pay £100k and they'd prefer 100k over nothing. Plus, they could add a sell-on or a promotion clause to his fee to get them a bit of extra £££. I'm sure some other clubs in the Championship have noticed him recently and would also be willing to pay £100k - £250k, so Cardiff could feasible get a small fee for him in January.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Leeds - both start
Derby - both start
Birmingham - Ulloa Played the whole game, Barnes came on for last 26mins
Burnley - Barnes out injured
Millwall - Barnes out injured
Reading - Ulloa sent off first half
QPR - Ulloa suspended
Bolton - Ulloa suspended
Ipswich - Ulloa suspended
Sheff Wed - Ulloa Injured early second half, leaving him unavailable until last weekend

There have only been five games when both were available (at the start). They both started two of them, played together in a third, and the fourth involved Ulloa being sent off in the first half, the fifth involved Ulloa getting injured (meaning no chance for them both to play as they did in the third). (Maybe include saturday's game v Middlesbrough, but was Ulloa fit enough to start?)

Where did Barnes play v Leeds and Derby? (genuine question, I don't remember)

Of the five games both have been available they've only been able to both play at the same time 3 times. They have both played at the same time 3 times. What makes you think it will be one or the other? (If you include the Newport game, they played together in the last half hour of that, so that's 4 out of 4/5 opportunities for them to play together that Oscar has taken).

Didn't he play Barnes behind Ulloa for first couple of games, didn't really work and then Barnes was effectively dropped ?

Think Oscar worked out fairly quickly that Barnes is a striker and although he can 'do a job' in some other positions he is best used centrally.

Hence why then at Brum and Reading Ulloa started and Barnes was on the bench.

I can't see him playing Barnes wide as whereas Poyet was happy with the narrow formation Oscar seems to prefer someone who can either go past players (Buckley, Lua Lua) or provide crosses (David, Conway). I've got no problem with Barnes in the side centrally but I do admit when I see him in a wide position I feel disappointed that we have sacrificed a player who can make things happen for someone who is playing out of position and not best suited to that role.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
(a) Yes, because their media arrangements are all geared around you.
Do you actually find Oscar interesting to listen to in an interview? He actually says less in terms of variety than Nathan Jones. He lets his talking be done out on the pitch.

(c) Listen to the David Burke interview. http://www.albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

Oscar's interviews are considered and, yes, I am much much much more interested in what Oscar says than what his assistant spouts.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't he play Barnes behind Ulloa for first couple of games, didn't really work and then Barnes was effectively dropped ?

Think Oscar worked out fairly quickly that Barnes is a striker and although he can 'do a job' in some other positions he is best used centrally.

I can't see him playing Barnes wide as whereas Poyet was happy with the narrow formation Oscar seems to prefer someone who can either go past players (Buckley, Lua Lua) or provide crosses (David, Conway). I've got no problem with Barnes in the side centrally but I do admit when I see him in a wide position I feel disappointed that we have sacrificed a player who can make things happen for someone who is playing out of position and not best suited to that role.

I couldn't agree more.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You obviously didn't see the cross Barnes put in at the start of the second half against Wigan that landed on JFC's head: Beckham would have been proud of that if he hit it with his right foot; Barnes hit it with his left -- that is, wrong -- foot.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely there is no argument Ulloa is first choice striker and Barnes is his back up when needed as per now for injury etc.

There is no comparison on ability. The big question is can Barnes supply Ulloa better than the others that we have like Lopez, Orlandi, Buckley Lua Lua Conway if he signs and of course Andrews and Crofts. Simple answer NO he is a direct alternative/ replacement for Ulloa no more no less.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Surely there is no argument Ulloa is first choice striker and Barnes is his back up when needed as per now for injury etc.

There is no comparison on ability. The big question is can Barnes supply Ulloa better than the others that we have like Lopez, Orlandi, Buckley Lua Lua Conway if he signs and of course Andrews and Crofts. Simple answer NO he is a direct alternative/ replacement for Ulloa no more no less.

I'm not suggesting Ulloa isn't first choice, I just don't think it's an either/or thing with them. We will see them play together, probably not all the time, but it isn't something to discount. It is just a matter of how that fits; will barnes be used on the left? Just behind? Will Oscar go with two up top (late on if we're chasing the game)? etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As per my previous post does Barnes offer more than those mentioned, I dont think so but dont get me wrong he has done well in Ulloa's absence and will continue to do so whenever called upon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As per my previous post does Barnes offer more than those mentioned, I dont think so but dont get me wrong he has done well in Ulloa's absence and will continue to do so whenever called upon.

Oscar won't be the first manager to pick Barnes ahead of some of them. It's about what he needs in a game, what injuries there are, what limits there are on players. We don't have conway, Orlandi is injured, Lualua will get injured if he plays too many games in a short space of time so it's a case of either using him sparingly or using him until he is injured, Buckly is seemingly as fragile, Crofts hasn't been used on the wing much, Andrews had a good game or two but seemed to go off the boil so has yet to prove a consistency of performance. Barnes brings work rate, attacking and defensive qualities (the commentators were critical of Lualua not tracking back on Saturday).

It comes down to what is needed, what our opponents weaknesses are, how a game is going, what players are available, what players need a rest, etc. So even with those players I still think we will see Barnes and Ulloa play together. Maybe both starting won't be a common thing, but I can see Ulloa staying on the pitch when Barnes comes on to replace a tired Lualua/Buckley, or off form Lopez, or a sacrificed Ince/Crofts/Bridcutt/Andrews when pushing for a goal.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Spot on BG.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And you don't think that - in essence - they're saying one and the same thing?

I don't know, since Oscar doesn't talk enough to the media IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Doesnt Nathan Jones say what Oscar wants him to or does he have his own agenda, which I doubt.

He has his own ideas I am sure. Give him that much credit!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here