Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton still keen on Cardiff winger Craig Conway

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Worrying to me because I feel: (a) Jones hogs too much of Oscar's limelight; (b) Jones talks bollox most of the time; and (c) I want Oscar to step up WRT player recruitment... and not next season, but now.

(a) It may well be the case that everyone (except you) is satisfied with that arrangement.
(b) Said the pot...
(c) Oscar is slap bang in the middle of the player recruitment issues. Listen to the David Burke interview.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Worrying to me because I feel: (a) Jones hogs too much of Oscar's limelight; (b) Jones talks bollox most of the time; and (c) I want Oscar to step up WRT player recruitment... and not next season, but now.

I get the impression that Oscar doesn't feel comfortable facing the press doing interviews, so is more than happy for Nathan to take over. David Burke is in charge of player recruitment.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think he suggested it was worrying. Seems fine to me. Jones has played and worked in English football for a long time, it's quite reasonable that he should have a decent input.

I had seen a couple of others respond with concern, I suppose I was responding to them more with the worrying comment. But the point that it is no different to other signings except instead of a person employed by the club as a scout suggesting a player, it's Nathan Jones. That it is so similar to normal process, as well as not being worrying, it is probably mundane enough to not be particularly interesting either.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

a) Jones will hog as much of Oscar's limelight as Oscar wants him to
b) Won't argue because you are obviously well qualified on this point
c) You have absolutely no idea how much of the player recruitment is down to Oscar (but i think it is extremely likely his opinion carries more weight than Jones - the clue is in the title Head)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why should you care who does the recruiting, as long as the players are good enough?

That's true. But are they? And would you not think that Oscar's contacts in the game might be slightly superior to Nathan's? We need to leverage those contacts sooner rather than later.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why? The players we have brought in have complimented the squad. As for Oscar, if he doesn't want to be in the limelight, well after Gus I am very happy with that. No controversy, no meltdowns, no public whingeing, no touting. I can live with Jones doing the interviews too, I tend not to listen anyway.

I want to hear from the head coach, not his irritating right-hand man with his endless "It's going to be a tough game" quotes.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why? The players we have brought in have complimented the squad. As for Oscar, if he doesn't want to be in the limelight, well after Gus I am very happy with that. No controversy, no meltdowns, no public whingeing, no touting. I can live with Jones doing the interviews too, I tend not to listen anyway.

Agree with all of this Icy, and I seem to remember that it was a comment you made on another thread that I particularly liked. It was about how Oscar likes to look at the grass -- as opposed to the pitch -- during games, and how he exudes a calm, which we might contrast with Gus' recent antics when he took his coat off after that Wes Brown dismissal. That was funny. Oscar's either looking at the grass, or inspecting his shoes, which are no doubt of a rather fine and soft Spanish leather variety. Apologies if it wasn't you that was 'on the grass'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Being that he is out of contract soon I would expect the fee to be in the region of £250k-£350k plus add on if sold. I hope that we sign him as he offers a different approach to Buckley and Lua Lua nearer to Orlandi playing wide I think.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
(a) It may well be the case that everyone (except you) is satisfied with that arrangement.
(b) Said the pot...
(c) Oscar is slap bang in the middle of the player recruitment issues. Listen to the David Burke interview.

(a) Maybe, but I'm entitled to my opinion (and I make it clear it is my opinion).
(b) Rude, inaccurate and hypocritical.
(c) Good. What does DB say.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree with all of this Icy, and I seem to remember that it was a comment you made on another thread that I particularly liked. It was about how Oscar likes to look at the grass -- as opposed to the pitch -- during games, and how he exudes a calm, which we might contrast with Gus' recent antics when he took his coat off after that Wes Brown dismissal. That was funny. Oscar's either looking at the grass, or inspecting his shoes, which are no doubt of a rather fine and soft Spanish leather variety. Apologies if it wasn't you that was 'on the grass'.

Yeah that was me, I sit almost right behind the dugout and find it quite amusing when everyone is going mental he seems so detached from it all. he just looks at the grass (or maybe as you say his designer shoes). In the past I'd probably thought he wasn't passionate enough but he seems to make his points pre match or at half time without needing to go mental when things aren't working. The most involved I've seen him during a game is chatting to Jones or just looking a little displeased with a bad pass or miss, then back to the contemplative man looking down.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I get the impression that Oscar doesn't feel comfortable facing the press doing interviews, so is more than happy for Nathan to take over. David Burke is in charge of player recruitment.

On the former, I find that disappointing; it is a key part of the manager's/head coach's role IMHO. On the latter, I agree, but would rather Oscar than Nathan played the key supporting role.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
a) Jones will hog as much of Oscar's limelight as Oscar wants him to
b) Won't argue because you are obviously well qualified on this point
c) You have absolutely no idea how much of the player recruitment is down to Oscar (but i think it is extremely likely his opinion carries more weight than Jones - the clue is in the title Head)

(a) Yes, but still disappoints me.
(b) It is my opinion, that saying "It's going to be a tough game" every game, or "Matt Upson has been Matt Upson for 16/17 years" is not useful, interesting or insightful. In fact, it is bollox. I don't really need to be qualified to share that opinion do I?
(c) I agree, but where is the evidence of Oscar's clout in recruitment; not exactly shining through in the players we have acquired so far, is it?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's true. But are they? And would you not think that Oscar's contacts in the game might be slightly superior to Nathan's? We need to leverage those contacts sooner rather than later.

Oscar joined a non-premier league team in a country in which he hadn't previously managed, on on the back of a drawn out saga in the summer.

He was NEVER going to be exercising his contacts in the summer window. There was just no time and he wouldn't have known the ability of our team as well as he does now.

I don't LIKE it, but the recruitment HAD to be done by someone else if we were going to get anyone in. We all know Oscar didn't walk into the office and say "You know who I want? Leroy Lita, Keith Andrews and Stephen Ward. I've always LOVED those guys"

Regarding your point of leveraging his "contacts soon rather than later", He's got no option other than to wait until January to do so.

The fact we are 2 points off the playoffs with a ridiculous injury crisis and only two real signings (in terms of making an impact - Ward and Conway) having been integrated is, frankly, amazing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oscar joined a non-premier league team in a country in which he hadn't previously managed, on on the back of a drawn out saga in the summer.

He was NEVER going to be exercising his contacts in the summer window. There was just no time and he wouldn't have known the ability of our team as well as he does now.

I don't LIKE it, but the recruitment HAD to be done by someone else if we were going to get anyone in. We all know Oscar didn't walk into the office and say "You know who I want? Leroy Lita, Keith Andrews and Stephen Ward. I've always LOVED those guys"

Regarding your point of leveraging his "contacts soon rather than later", He's got no option other than to wait until January to do so.

The fact we are 2 points off the playoffs with a ridiculous injury crisis and only two real signings (in terms of making an impact - Ward and Conway) having been integrated is, frankly, amazing.

Agree with all of that. By sooner, I meant in Jan (rather than next season as was suggested by someone else), although I'm sure we are working on Jan signings now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
(a) Yes, but still disappoints me.

(c) I agree, but where is the evidence of Oscar's clout in recruitment; not exactly shining through in the players we have acquired so far, is it?

(a) Yes, because their media arrangements are all geared around you.
Do you actually find Oscar interesting to listen to in an interview? He actually says less in terms of variety than Nathan Jones. He lets his talking be done out on the pitch.

(c) Listen to the David Burke interview. http://www.albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Now that Ulloa is back, we are likely to see Barnes return to the left.

It is unknown what Oscar's plans for CMS are, but one of the true wingers are likely to make way for him. We might even see a front line of Barnes - Ulloa - CMS at some point.

Why ?

He didn't play Barnes in a wide role before Ulloa's injury so I doubt he will now either.

Going to be Ulloa OR Barnes

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Being that he is out of contract soon I would expect the fee to be in the region of £250k-£350k plus add on if sold. I hope that we sign him as he offers a different approach to Buckley and Lua Lua nearer to Orlandi playing wide I think.

Unless another club wants to pay a fee for him in January isn't the smart move taking him back on loan for the rest of the season ? Conway then has the second half of the campaign to win a permanent deal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why ?

He didn't play Barnes in a wide role before Ulloa's injury so I doubt he will now either.

Going to be Ulloa OR Barnes

Leeds - both start
Derby - both start
Birmingham - Ulloa Played the whole game, Barnes came on for last 26mins
Burnley - Barnes out injured
Millwall - Barnes out injured
Reading - Ulloa sent off first half
QPR - Ulloa suspended
Bolton - Ulloa suspended
Ipswich - Ulloa suspended
Sheff Wed - Ulloa Injured early second half, leaving him unavailable until last weekend

There have only been five games when both were available (at the start). They both started two of them, played together in a third, and the fourth involved Ulloa being sent off in the first half, the fifth involved Ulloa getting injured (meaning no chance for them both to play as they did in the third). (Maybe include saturday's game v Middlesbrough, but was Ulloa fit enough to start?)

Where did Barnes play v Leeds and Derby? (genuine question, I don't remember)

Of the five games both have been available they've only been able to both play at the same time 3 times. They have both played at the same time 3 times. What makes you think it will be one or the other? (If you include the Newport game, they played together in the last half hour of that, so that's 4 out of 4/5 opportunities for them to play together that Oscar has taken).

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless another club wants to pay a fee for him in January isn't the smart move taking him back on loan for the rest of the season ? Conway then has the second half of the campaign to win a permanent deal.

That would be ideal and a smart move as you say but I expect another club to come in for him after the reviews he has received playing for us, we are then in a battle for his signature with wages being a possible deciding factor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here