Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton still keen on Cardiff winger Craig Conway

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is the most interesting line in that piece. Suggests that Nathan Jones has a far bigger say in player identification / recruitment than most would have imagined.

Good spot. Think you're right, and this is one of the reasons why NJ was recruited. Oscar's clever. He'll work on improving and developing the squad he's got (he did this at MTA too), but the longer he stays, the more involved he'll become in transfer policy, I think.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'd like him back if we could get him on the cheap - but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Now that our forwards are returning (Lua Lua, Buckley, CMS, Ulloa) I think he will soon struggle to get into the first team anyway.

Interesting that you think he'd struggle to get into the team. It's no coincidence that as his form has returned to what it was last year we've looked very good going forward. He is strong and doesn't fall over every time he's challenged. He'd be a great addition to our squad and would likely play more than you'd expect. For the last few games I thought he offered us much more than Buckley does based on his recent games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd like him back if we could get him on the cheap - but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Now that our forwards are returning (Lua Lua, Buckley, CMS, Ulloa) I think he will soon struggle to get into the first team anyway.

Interesting that one of the papers I was looking at yesterday gave him MOM ahead of Upson the goalscorer. He is already keeping Lua Lua and Buckley, when fit, out of the team

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is the most interesting line in that piece. Suggests that Nathan Jones has a far bigger say in player identification / recruitment than most would have imagined.

Worryingly true.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Buckley, Lua Lua and Conway are three very different wingers, all useful to have (especially as the first two are injury prone). Not sure why you mentioned the two strikers.

Stumpy Tim

£500k for a player out of contract in the summer and not in Cardiff's 25 man squad? Not a chance. If we sell, we might get £500k for Barnes, but only because he's in our first 11. Conway will likely come on loan for the rest of the season and join on a free - much like Upson last season.

Jimmy Grimble

'tis. My hope is that it's Jones' ego getting the better of him in an attempt to sound more important to the press.

£500k for a player out of contract in the summer and not in Cardiff's 25 man squad? Not a chance. If we sell, we might get £500k for Barnes, but only because he's in our first 11. Conway will likely come on loan for the rest of the season and join on a free - much like Upson last season.

And this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't know that it's as worrying as it might appear. I would hope as a club we listen to any suggestion, and Jones being a fan of Conway simply means he suggested Conway as someone we should look at, then Oscar and Burke took a look at him and decided they agreed with Jones. This being no different to the process of any of our scouts suggesting players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know that it's as worrying as it might appear. I would hope as a club we listen to any suggestion, and Jones being a fan of Conway simply means he suggested Conway as someone we should look at, then Oscar and Burke took a look at him and decided they agreed with Jones. This being no different to the process of any of our scouts suggesting players.

I don't think he suggested it was worrying. Seems fine to me. Jones has played and worked in English football for a long time, it's quite reasonable that he should have a decent input.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I don't think he suggested it was worrying. Seems fine to me. Jones has played and worked in English football for a long time, it's quite reasonable that he should have a decent input.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

All well and good, but I would certainly put more weight behind Oscar's opinions.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
All well and good, but I would certainly put more weight behind Oscar's opinions.

I suggest Oscar is being patient and biding his time adjusting to English football. Jones has his qualifications and if he did recommend Conway why would that be in anyway worrying?

Next season I imagine Oscar will have more input into player recruitment but for the moment is happy to be helped out by someone who knows the division, has played in it and appears to be quite highly thought of?

I don't get the Jones and Burke knocking.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I suggest Oscar is being patient and biding his time adjusting to English football. Jones has his qualifications and if he did recommend Conway why would that be in anyway worrying?

Next season I imagine Oscar will have more input into player recruitment,

Worrying to me because I feel: (a) Jones hogs too much of Oscar's limelight; (b) Jones talks bollox most of the time; and (c) I want Oscar to step up WRT player recruitment... and not next season, but now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Worrying to me because I feel: (a) Jones hogs too much of Oscar's limelight; (b) Jones talks bollox most of the time; and (c) I want Oscar to step up WRT player recruitment... and not next season, but now.

Why should you care who does the recruiting, as long as the players are good enough?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Maybe Cardiff will release him earlier (like next few days) so he can join us as a free agent. He's obviously not part of their plans so why drag it out-they're not going to get much for him.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Why? The players we have brought in have complimented the squad. As for Oscar, if he doesn't want to be in the limelight, well after Gus I am very happy with that. No controversy, no meltdowns, no public whingeing, no touting. I can live with Jones doing the interviews too, I tend not to listen anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here