Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton station trouble

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Who and where ?
Friday night. Across the Southern network. You know, the one on which guards are striking over a dispute? The dispute which, in totally unrelated scenes, has led to a surge in staff sickness. Do try and keep up, there are plenty of threads on here about it

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
This maybe a obvious question but i can't see the answer in Mr Cash's email ,were the 11 driver and 8 guard duties that were vacant due to staff sickness/shortages or the company not bothering to cover them via the normal overtime route ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Friday night. Across the Southern network. You know, the one on which guards are striking over a dispute? The dispute which, in totally unrelated scenes, has led to a surge in staff sickness. Do try and keep up, there are plenty of threads on here about it

Are you really that THICK ? You do know making such UNTRUE statements are libellous ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This maybe a obvious question but i can't see the answer in Mr Cash's email ,were the 11 driver and 8 guard duties that were vacant due to staff sickness/shortages or the company not bothering to cover them via the normal overtime route ?

Uncovered on the Wednesday, duties that would have been covered by rest day workings as they were vacancies on the roster not due to short notice shortages

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The "Staff sickness" excuse doesn't really hold water though.
The knew in advance that they would have 10K people to shift so knew how much capacity they needed and therefor how many crew they needed.
What they should have had is one or two extra crews on stand-by in case of sickness; If there's no sickness then the stand-by crews are sent home.
If you end up with rolling stock in the wrong place, you move them overnight to where they're needed.

Alternatively you take the view that beating the union in a dispute is more important than inconveniencing several thousand passengers and do f**k all...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Are you really that THICK ? You do know making such UNTRUE statements are libellous ?
I wouldn't say I am totally thick, no.

But nor would I take the word of someone like you who makes Josef Goebells look like an unbiased news source.

If Mick Cash said that eating a plate of slightly warmed up human feaces every day for dinner was tasty and healthy, you would be on here spouting that as well.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

I appreciate you're exaggerating for dramatic effect, but just for the avoidance of doubt I'd like to point out the statements aren't libellous. Given the aggro this very board has suffered in the past over defamation claims, bandying the term libellous about should be curbed lest people start to worry unnecessarily and get stricter on what they do and don't allow us to say on here

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The "Staff shortage" excuse doesn't really hold water though.
The knew in advance that they would have 10K people to shift so knew how much capacity they needed and therefor how many crew they needed.
What they should have had is one or two extra crews on stand-by in case of sickness; If there's no sickness then the stand-by crews are sent home.
If you end up with rolling stock in the wrong place, you move them overnight to where they're needed.

Alternatively you take the view that beating the union in a dispute is more important than inconveniencing several thousand passengers and do f**k all...

If you haven't got enough train crew to cover normal workings then how you can you have crews on standby ? They used to have such crews but it was seen as an unnecessary expense if they weren't needed so they were got rid of

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I appreciate you're exaggerating for dramatic effect, but just for the avoidance of doubt I'd like to point out the statements aren't libellous. Given the aggro this very board has suffered in the past over defamation claims, bandying the term libellous about should be curbed lest people start to worry unnecessarily and get stricter on what they do and don't allow us to say on here

No such thing as the sickness allegation, no staff are going sick as 'unofficial strike action' and if people continue to peddle the lies on a public forum then it is libellous and could be dealt with. That people continue to make this allegation without any semblance of proof is what then ? Maybe they say it in jest but if so it is not particularly clever

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

But nor would I take the word of someone like you who makes Josef Goebells look like an unbiased news source.

If Mick Cash said that eating a plate of slightly warmed up human feaces every day for dinner was tasty and healthy, you would be on here spouting that as well.

Congratulations you have joined the THICK club, not quite as high as the IDIOT club I am a member of but you are getting there :thumbsup:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

You're not clever enough to be THICK, if SASTA say that drinking a cold glass of piss is refreshing you'd be on here saying how delicious that is, then again Harveys already do that

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you haven't got enough train crew to cover normal workings then how you can you have crews on standby ? They used to have such crews but it was seen as an unnecessary expense if they weren't needed so they were got rid of
That's why you have managers, to manage. Unions aren't responsible for recruitment or retention. It seems Southern are determined to have too few people to run the advertised service.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Having taken legal advice at Mod Towers, I believe that calling Southern Rail a bunch of CockJugglingThunder***** comes within the realm of fair opinion.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That's why you have managers, to manage. Unions aren't responsible for recruitment or retention. It seems Southern are determined to have too few people to run the advertised service.

If you remember a year ago they were advertising for drivers, remembering it takes a year or more to train them, as they were so short of them and then they go on to piss off every member of staff they have so that they are unable to cover their timetable it makes you wonder who is running things

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No such thing as the sickness allegation, no staff are going sick as 'unofficial strike action' and if people continue to peddle the lies on a public forum then it is libellous and could be dealt with. That people continue to make this allegation without any semblance of proof is what then ? Maybe they say it in jest but if so it is not particularly clever

You're not clever enough to be THICK, if SASTA say that drinking a cold glass of piss is refreshing you'd be on here saying how delicious that is, then again Harveys already do that

kettle-black.jpg

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But insinuating that the problems on SASTA are simply caused by staff going sick in great numbers isn't though

No one said that. But they are CONTRIBUTING overall to the misery (I dont mean the Villa game I mean through the year). And at the beginning of they year they were going on unofficial strike with a case of the sniffles, until they jumped on the job protectionism, SORRY, I mean *cough* safety bandwagon and started striking outright.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Are the rail staff that used to take up the offer to work shifts that would otherwise be a rest day still taking up this offer and working or have they stopped all of this type of shift as a part of the industrial action taken by Union members? meaning they refuse all overtime as a form of industrial action to make sure that trains are cancelled and passengers inconvenienced as a means to try to get their way and cause major embarrassment and inconvenience to the network provider, to try to get public sympathy and get their way? (even though there would be no job losses with the new proposal and would mean that guard had to actually interact with passengers more on trains rather than stop to be in charge of the doors which DDO trains elsewhere shows is a safe operating practice)

Presumably the existing staff would have previously worked extra shifts to cover the gaps? Or are they claiming that this type of cover was never needed before because there were more than enough staff o ensure it wasn't required?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

It's not libellous because nobody is being defamed.

If he'd said that members of the RMT management are actively encouraging staff to call in sick, with no proof, then that could be considered libellous. But threatening libel action for broad suggestive statements aimed at nobody in particular is a fruitless exercise.

For what it's worth my sympathies lay with the staff and not the inept Southern Rail management, I just don't like to see people getting defamation law wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here