Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Station,Southern Entrance Improvements

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
At a time when the Council has to make huge savings they have decided to improve the Railway Station frontage and nearby streets.A document has been produced which indicates that work could go ahead as early in 2013.
I t should be noted that in the 1930`s it was proposed that the Queens rd/Surrey St block should be demolished to provide gardens to impress visitors.The Council purchased these properties however the Second World War put a stop to the scheme.
Taxis queuing to enter the Station have been causing problems to Buses and other traffic,rather than use Wardens and CCTV to control the queues it is considered that now is the right time to bring in a scheme involving narrowing of roads and changing traffic flows.
No details of estimated costs are given or how long the work will take but one thing is sure it will result in complete CHAOS!!!!!http://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/grayno.gif

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
At a time when the Council has to make huge savings they have decided to improve the Railway Station frontage and nearby streets.A document has been produced which indicates that work could go ahead as early in 2013.
I t should be noted that in the 1930`s it was proposed that the Queens rd/Surrey St block should be demolished to provide gardens to impress visitors.The Council purchased these properties however the Second World War put a stop to the scheme.
Taxis queuing to enter the Station have been causing problems to Buses and other traffic,rather than use Wardens and CCTV to control the queues it is considered that now is the right time to bring in a scheme involving narrowing of roads and changing traffic flows.
No details of estimated costs are given or how long the work will take but one thing is sure it will result in complete CHAOS!!!!!http://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/grayno.gif

The new housing starts being built to the east of the station in Jan along with the new walkway. Hotel and office to follow when/if funding is in place.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
There were five options, this is the chosen option,you have to ignore the comments on the front page or you are not going to take the contents seriously

1.A great place,a space you can enjoy in the heart of the city,whether you`re travelling or not
2. A great interchange, a place that helps you get where you`re going as quickly or as slowly as you want.
I kid you not!,they are describing a place you change buses or swap to a train

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That walk from the station down to the clock tower is currently WELL shabby, has to be said. Doesn't get much better between there and the seafront either. Hardly a gleaming advert for the town. How hard can it be to come up with meaningful improvements?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
^^
Wasn't that going to be called "Ocean Boulevard" by our "new Brighton" folk?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That walk from the station down to the clock tower is currently WELL shabby, has to be said. Doesn't get much better between there and the seafront either. Hardly a gleaming advert for the town. How hard can it be to come up with meaningful improvements?

Agree with all of that.
Add on the seafront too. It is a traffic-choked shithole, when it should be the Jewel in the Crown of the city. Four lanes of traffic, punctuated by traffic lights, filter lanes, a tangle of road signs, barriers and a haphazard sprinkling of assorted detritus that does nothing but diminish the City's greatest asset.

With some co-ordinated thinking, positive investment and a will to actually make it happen, the centre of Brighton down to the seafront could be an area to be proud of. Shame really.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My girlfriend asked me what I thought of the southern entrance improvements and I misunderstood and replied "have you shaved down there then dear?". I'm in the doghouse and she's in the bedroom. Sobbing. How was I to know they hadn't started yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here