Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Speed Trials.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Are today. Years ago it was one of the town's biggest attractions but it seems in terminal decline now. If I hadn't noticed it in the tiny "What's On" Section of the Argus Online I wouldn't even have known it was on. Does anyone on here still go?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I was lost for something to do today with no football & I can't take the kids to the beach because of the 38 million litres of raw sewage floating around our shores , I didn't know it was on but after reading your thread I will now be going what time does it start

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Had this conversation with my neighbour yesterday. Remember going as a child with there being thousands there. Not sure how many turn up now. I didn't know it was on until last night, with more notice would have popped down.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Probably not top of the local list of 'done' things any more. Can you imagine the local MP cutting the ribbon with a huge pair of scissors to open the Speed Trials?

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Used to be good haven't been for 20 years, I even remember the results being on the evening TV news (TVS was it)

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Publicity has never been their strong point has it? A few boards on lamp posts and one line in the Argus the night before is as much as they ever do.
This country bumpkin from Worthing only ever new in advance because on of my mates knew a competitor for a couple of years.

Probably Brighton's best kept secret AND likely to stay like it.

Despite this I hope they have a well attended and above all else safe day.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I am surprised the car-hating Greens have allowed it to take place,no doubt somebody will come out claiming anther million billion tons of Arctic has thawed out because of it.It is a great event though,I took part in it myself back in the mid-eighties with a MK.1 Capri I had stuck a modified V8 3.2Litre engine in,went like shit off a shovel,didn't win anything though.Good fun.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I was lost for something to do today with no football & I can't take the kids to the beach because of the 38 million litres of raw sewage floating around our shores , I didn't know it was on but after reading your thread I will now be going what time does it start

7.30am Signing on
9am Practice
11.30am 1st Timed Runs
1pm - 1.50pm Lunch Break
2pm Timed Runs continue
6pm Finish

markw

Aug 28, 2009
If you do go to the speed trials, I recommend paying to get in the pit area and access to the start line, makes it so much better but take your ear plugs!

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
A mate used to run his three and a half litre V8 Anglia each year. This was in the days when the cars were allowed to come out at the far end and travel back along the A259 to make a loop. If that were allowed today you'd have the cops checking tax discs.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'll be going, and yes I really enjoy it. Likewise the bikes will be down the front tomorrow and I love it.

One thing that irks The Greens. Tell them that that road was built for speed trials by one of the princes, and that the London to Brighton Old Crocks Run, is a celebration of the abolition of the Red Flag Act. It drives them potty.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Does anyone remember when Dennis Priddle and Clive Skilton ran their Top Fuel Dragsters at the speed trials? So noisy they even blew the dust off the Regency Society. Absolutely MENTAL.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Does anyone remember when Dennis Priddle and Clive Skilton ran their Top Fuel Dragsters at the speed trials? So noisy they even blew the dust off the Regency Society. Absolutely MENTAL.

Also the year that John Dodd ran his 27 litre Merlin engined Rolls Royce !

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Just got back (didn't watch the bikes), it was pretty good TBH only heard about it this morning, I'd say there was about 500 who payed to get close to the cars and atleast 1000+ right on the top looking over the bars instead of paying the £10 to get in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wow! Cannot believe the stupidity of the council! Entire beachfront between about fifty metres to the left of the Palace Pier all the way to the Marina was declared a total exclusion zone - on the the first day of the last sunny weekend we're going to get for about the next nine months when there's a mass of trippers just wanting some kind of access to the beach. OK, appreciate there has to be an elf n safety area. But the whole f***ing seafront for about half a mile? If I was a beachfront trader I'd be looking to form a class action to sue the pants off the council. Stupid stupid stupid.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Drive past it today many watching over the edge, many lovely cars around todo as a result too.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
In the 80s used to be an old boy in a 7 litre Allard his Mrs used to drive it also. Lot of old Formula 500 cars that where run by old boys most off them had seen better days bellowing smoke all the way down the run. A few people have lost thier lives also over the years I think its a lot safer now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here