Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Rock (the film)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The other half forced me to sit through this last night (I don't do B&W films unless they're entitled The Titfield Thunderbolt or Schindler's List). My questions are:

Was The Four(?) Feathers an actual pub or just a set? The Cricketers had a mention - presumably the same one that's there today?

Was the run down hotel/guest house Pinky's lot stayed at actually in Brighton?(or again just a set?)

A remake of the film is in production at the moment apparently.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The other half forced me to sit through this last night (I don't do B&W films unless they're entitled The Titfield Thunderbolt or Schindler's List). Was The Four(?) Feathers an actual pub or just a set? The Cricketers had a mention - presumably the same one that's there today? Was the run down hotel/guest house Pinky's lot stayed at in Brighton?

#

Thats odd I was thinking about this at the weekend and was thinking to myself that a remake could work really well...did'nt realise there was one in the can already.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
I think the pub looks like the one at the bottom of Russell Sq, on the way to Regency Sq...?

From imdb.com
Filming locations for
Brighton Rock (1947) More at IMDbPro »

advertisement
Brighton Pavilion, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Kolly Kibber running)

Brighton Racecourse, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK

Brighton Station, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Opening Scenes where Kolly Kibber arrives in Brighton)

Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(exteriors)

Church Street, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Kolly Kibber running)

Clock Tower, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Kolly Kibber gets off bus)

Dr Brighton's, Little East Street, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Star and Garter Pub)

Little East Street, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Star and Garter Pub)

North Lane, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK

Palace Pier, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Death of Kolly Kibber)

Queens Road, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Kolly Kibber runs for his life)

Russell Square, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK

The Lanes, Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK
(Kolly Kibber runs for his life)

Welwyn Studios, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England, UK

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other half forced me to sit through this last night (I don't do B&W films unless they're entitled The Titfield Thunderbolt or Schindler's List). My questions are:

Was The Four(?) Feathers an actual pub or just a set? The Cricketers had a mention - presumably the same one that's there today?

Was the run down hotel/guest house Pinky's lot stayed at actually in Brighton?(or again just a set?)

The Titfield Thunderbolt is in colour.

I guess that most of the internal scenes are sets - they didn't do so much location based filming in those days.

IIRC many of the pubs mentioned in the book were real pubs.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Dr Brightons (Star and Garter) was indeed featured but most interiors were filmed at welwyn.

Heres a trivia question for you...when Pinkie says "I'll meet you under the black cat" where and what is he talking about?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
All of this reminds me that even though I've not lived in Brighton for almost 20 years I still think of it as home and my interest in all things Brighton never wains. I bloody miss the old girl.

I've been away from Brighton for a lot less than you but miss it a hell of a lot, I know so much about the town and have so much connection to it that my homesickness just goes on and on.

I get to go back to see my son and love the fact that I am still connected in that way but it aint the same.

Some pub things in the Wild Years family history that connect me to Brighton.

My Grandmother was born above the Black Horse in Church street, her father was the landlord.
She ran the Spotted Dog in the 50's (when she also kept wicket for Sussex Womens CC !). She also,for a while, held the licence for the bar in the Masonic Lodge which I think used to be/or still is somewhere down from the station.
When she retired she was a bar maid at the Pump House and the young Frank would often sit at the end of the bar with a bag of ready salted chrisps and a bottle of Pepsi.

In later years I was drunk in many of Brightons pubs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did Moores used to back onto the Savoy cinema ? My stepmum was a manageress at the cinema in the 80s and 90s.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Don't 'do' black and white?

You have no idea what you are missing. Some excellent black and white films/tv programmes!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here