Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton ready to open Roberto De Zerbi contract talks amid Real Madrid interest

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton are not worried by the interest but are still taking steps to strengthen their position. 90min understands that the Seagulls, unsurprisingly very happy with De Zerbi, would like to offer him a new longer contract that would secure his future beyond the 2026 expiry of his current deal.

As it stands, his contract contains a release clause of around £10m that could be triggered by a suitor and another motivation to open talks surrounding a fresh deal is to increase the figure.

Brighton are not worried by the interest but are still taking steps to strengthen their position. 90min understands that the Seagulls, unsurprisingly very happy with De Zerbi, would like to offer him a new longer contract that would secure his future beyond the 2026 expiry of his current deal.

As it stands, his contract contains a release clause of around £10m that could be triggered by a suitor and another motivation to open talks surrounding a fresh deal is to increase the figure.

About time. Potter got one and did ef all, then screwed us over (until RDZ)

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Real Madrid have put €1bn release clauses on several of their players, so...

d3c61477-82b8-4ba7-8574-394a42c622e6_text.gif

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Don't get me wrong, RDZ has been amazing, but Real Madrid? Really?? I just can't see that they'd take a risk on someone, for all his obvious brilliance, whose main achievements so far have been to get unfashionable clubs punching above their weight (albeit while also playing fabulous football).

All this talk of a "longer term plan" is just not how the super clubs operate, they want(/need) instant success and if they don't get it they can go out and get someone else.

But, yes, give the man a new contract, whatever he wants!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Don't get me wrong, RDZ has been amazing, but Real Madrid? Really?? I just can't see that they'd take a risk on someone, for all his obvious brilliance, whose main achievements so far have been to get unfashionable clubs punching above their weight (albeit while also playing fabulous football).

All this talk of a "longer term plan" is just not how the super clubs operate, they want(/need) instant success and if they don't get it they can go out and get someone else.

But, yes, give the man a new contract, whatever he wants!
My thoughts exactly.

How about we just give him a template of his existing contract, but leave blank the number of years and the wages for him to fill in as he chooses?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
SING him up and THAI him down!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Give him whatever he wants plus 10%

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This could be our best signing yet!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Don't Spanish contracts have to include a release clause so clubs make them so huge no one will ever pay it?
Yes, there's actually a law that regulates professional athletes in Spain and their contracts. If a clause isn't inserted, then there's a default amount specified. I think it defaults to 15% of the remaining value of the contract, but my understanding of Spanish contract law isn't exactly top notch. I also think they're meant to make sure the clauses are proportional to the wages, but don't know if that's actually been tested in court.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Don't Spanish contracts have to include a release clause so clubs make them so huge no one will ever pay it?
Yes by law they are required to have a release clause in Spain. They aren't always for ridiculous sums. We signed Cucurella and Pervis after activating their release clauses and neither of them cost much more than about £15 million.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here