• The Spanish Lady

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • The Station Hotel

Votes: 13 14.9%

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Not sure how its happened but there is some real shit in this group. Real bottom of the barrel offering for the final group, which is odd considering the draw was made at random after the seeds were determined.

Anyway, the seed here is the Good Companions, a pub much improved since its refurb in recent years.

The Spanish Lady is the contest's real wildcard. Very narrowly made it in despite being in Saltdean and I have to confess I know nothing about it. The images online are less than flattering however. Surely it's not going to make it beyond the group.

Brighton Rocks is more of a bar than a pub and is also lucky to be included.

Gutted this group has worked out so piss weak when the likes of the Hand in Hand and the Evening Star can end up drawn together

Oi, Saltdean's part of Brighton! Kind of.

As for the Spanish Lady, as far as I'm aware it's the only pub in the competition to have a poster named after it. That's pretty ****ing special right there.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Oi, Saltdean's part of Brighton! Kind of.

As for the Spanish Lady, as far as I'm aware it's the only pub in the competition to have a poster named after it. That's pretty ****ing special right there.

thank you GNLF. its a great competition and a great idea from Collosal Squid but but I feel its very kind of skewed towards a certain type of Brighton pub/pubgoer. the shrtlist is interesting in its predictability. there are very few suburban or unfashionable pubs in it - but then i suppose it is literally a popularity contest.

this is my favourite group, the basketmakers and the usual suspects are boring as fk. out of town groovers pubs.

this group has zaire kuwait new zealand etc in it. may be rubbish but makes it a genuine world cup.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Perhaps for future renewals of the competition, the groupings could be done on the basis of each area, e.g.:

Hove
Western Road/West Street
The Lanes
Seven Dials/Brighton Station
Hanover
North Laine
Kemp Town and East Brighton
Lewes Rd/Ditchling Rd/London Rd and vicinity

That way, you ensure representation in all parts of the city with the cream in each area advancing.

that doesnt cover all of brighton and hove by a long chalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In all fairness it was down to posters to nominate pubs. A pub only needed a nomination and a second to be included.

Good work Collosal Squid. PS further to our meeting last year I plan to open up a temporary (reluctant to say pop-up) craft beer bar in Berlin next summer.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
In all fairness it was down to posters to nominate pubs. A pub only needed a nomination and a second to be included.

Good work Collosal Squid. PS further to our meeting last year I plan to open up a temporary (reluctant to say pop-up) craft beer bar in Berlin next summer.

i know that. i am well aware of who is responsible for this travesty.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Thanks chaps. As you know I am only responsible for collating the votes and organising the logistics of this competition. Far be it from me to decide what does and does not constitute a good pub. I think we all have a fairly good idea of the pubs most likely to make it to the final, as it is essentially just a popularity contest, but this doesn't mean we can't still have fun along the way. Some of the pubs that have made the competition I've never visited and the positive reviews they've had from fellow posters means they're now on my to do list.

That, my friend, is an excellent idea. Those Germans know a thing or two about beer, and they know how to drink the stuff too. Sounds like a winning idea and I shall be out on the first Easyjet flight as soon as its doors are opened.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That, my friend, is an excellent idea. Those Germans know a thing or two about beer, and they know how to drink the stuff too. Sounds like a winning idea and I shall be out on the first Easyjet flight as soon as its doors are opened.

I will let you know more as and when I can. It will only be for a few weekends max and mainly for fun but I'll keep you updated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did Craft Beer Co make it through to the 2nd round?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here