Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton possession game this season?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Something must have clicked for the players in training last week, as our performance up at Birmingham was like chalk and cheese when compared with the mostly disjointed, hurried and (often) aimless stuff we saw vs Derby. The players were reading each others' movements better, Andrews and Agustien were dictating play in the middle (with both short and carefully lofted passes), and the football we played was generally a lot more fluid and attractive. There were a couple of passages of pass and move play that were as good as anything we produced under Gus.

Heard a Spanish football expert on a podcast the other week talking about Oscar and his preferred style/formation. 4-3-3 (durr), but most interestingly he likes to have a deep-lying playmaker dropping so deep as to almost fill in as a 3rd centre-back, helping to distribute the ball with accuracy and purpose. On Saturday that player was very clearly Keith Andrews, and although he's obviously no Andrea Pirlo, he carried out the role very capably. Noticed Liam did (or attempted to do) the same thing vs Villarreal.

Still too early to really say exactly how patient, direct or otherwise we are under Oscar but I agree with most of the observations in here. Certainly we seem to look for the early crossfield pass a little more frequently, whilst we also seem to commit more numbers when breaking forward (including regular interchanging of positions). Not seen much evidence of the high-energy pressing game yet, but that may come as fitness levels continue to improve.

We played that way against Whitehawk, with our midfield and forwards buzzing around their box. Orlandi was magic, pulling the strings like a virtuoso. Obviously the oppo will be different quality in the Championship, but we have the potential to dominate if given the opportunity :)

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
One thing that is definitely different is the increased use of the raking 50 yd cross-field pass. Never used to happen under Poyet so they're definitely playing with their heads up more this season.

I've noticed this during the few games I've been to see under both managers. Problem is the long-distance crossfield passes are often hit-and-miss. We risk giving away possession and allowing the opposition to counter if we can't improve on these long-range balls.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
the way of the dodo

in favour of a style more thrilling as evinced against ipswich - we never had the personnel for tiki-taka in the championship imo though curiously it worked in winning L1 :shrug:

hope the team continues to make progress in the new wave. Kaz is shining for one positive amongst a few. Perhaps our defence needs to adapt a little more if we are going to be a threat to the top of the table this season... perhaps

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
According to Squawka, we're averaging 52% possession in the five league games this season. The figure for both of the past two years is 53% (doesn't go further back, unfortunately).

Hardly any difference in the quantity, but we seem to be using it much more effectively now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The style is excellent this year, so far only Amex season 2 has been as exciting as this season.

Early days but I think Amex 5 will turn out to be the best yet.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
in favour of a style more thrilling as evinced against ipswich - we never had the personnel for tiki-taka in the championship imo though curiously it worked in winning L1

Isn't it just that the players higher up the League are fitter, faster, and more intelligent. We needed better, braver players. In L1 the opposition tired in the last 20 minutes. In the championship, less so.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How about now?
We mugged Celtic for an Isreali international called Beram Kayal, he does the work of two men allowing us to play 4-4-2. Our games are more open but a strong defence has been bolstered and our keeper seems less butter fingered and actually quite good this year. More emphasis has been put on attack rather than possession so the stats are more even. In ehort it's a much more entertaining brand of football, the results have been good so far and everyone seems pretty happy with life.

Promotion or not, I'll take a season of this with pleasure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here