Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Brighton Players" v "Career Players"

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The only chance of being a "club" player is if they were brought up on the terraces (comfy seats), any others are just doing their best to earn the most they can.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The pre-season games need to start ASAP, I can’t take many more of these “what if” “just imagine” “I had a dream last night” threads.

Yeah but last night I had a dream I was a DRAGON. I shit you not. I was a dragon, everyone else was a soft, tiny human. I still lived in my house with the wife, kids and pets. Not crushing them was my paramount concern in the dream. As well as fighting some bald bloke who had massive bat wings.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Aren’t they all career players , any of them would be off in a nano second for more money. Even Calderon was going to go for the cash

This isn't true. He spoke with Southampton because he felt it was the right and honourable thing to do. He turned down their contract and stayed (earning considerably less) at Brighton.

That's what I've heard/has been reported, I'm sure.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I don't think "Club" players exist anymore. You get players who like/love playing for a club, but ultimately their careers come first. Probably the closest to that concept we have are Dunk, as he's local and grew up here, and Knockaert who in the aftermath of his dad's passing and the support the club gave him, said he'd be happy to spend the rest of his career here. I think they both have a lot of affection for the club and fans and vice versa, but ultimately if a big opportunity came along it would still be hard for them to turn down. I think that's realistically all you can and should expect from players, that they like being here and enjoy playing for the club while they're here. It works both ways as well, we demand their loyalty but are ok with the club being ruthless to our manager. We can't sack someone like Hughton and then hold everyone else to a different standard.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't think "Club" players exist anymore. You get players who like/love playing for a club, but ultimately their careers come first. Probably the closest to that concept we have are Dunk, as he's local and grew up here, and Knockaert who in the aftermath of his dad's passing and the support the club gave him, said he'd be happy to spend the rest of his career here. I think they both have a lot of affection for the club and fans and vice versa, but ultimately if a big opportunity came along it would still be hard for them to turn down. I think that's realistically all you can and should expect from players, that they like being here and enjoy playing for the club while they're here. It works both ways as well, we demand their loyalty but are ok with the club being ruthless to our manager. We can't sack someone like Hughton and then hold everyone else to a different standard.

This. I find it really strange when people get worked out at players leaving football clubs for more success or more money elsewhere. It's their career and they're entitled to try and get the best deal they can. That doesn't mean players don't care about some clubs in their career more than others, just that all of them are ultimately going to go where best suits them

On a related note, growing up I had two mates that were big Southampton fans who loved Matt Le Tiss. Totally understandable of course, but I always thought the guy lacked ambition and had a relatively average career considering his talent levels as a result of that lack of ambition.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Club players just don't really exist anymore, except in very rare cases. It feels more of a relic from the 60's/70's that people cling on to. Football has changed, sadly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It isn't just football that has changed, the whole world has sadly, as far as loyalty is concerned.

Footballers have always moved clubs for more money, its nothing new, and has nothing to do with loyalty. Everyone would swap jobs for more money if the new role was more attractive and more lucrative than the current one they were in, loyalty wouldn't come into it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
My problem with this thread is not that players pursue careers, rather that the OP is inventing some kind of split among the players... the latter is pure fantasy IMHO...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
&quot;Brighton Players&quot; v &quot;Career Players&quot;

What about Stephens ?

I don’t really understand the point in this thread but surely Stephens has to be classified as a career player due to the transfer request? Not that I had a problem with him doing that at the time.

Surely they’re all rightly career players. It’s a very short career and they should all have some ambition to get to the top. That’s what makes them professional sportsmen.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yeah but last night I had a dream I was a DRAGON. I shit you not. I was a dragon, everyone else was a soft, tiny human. I still lived in my house with the wife, kids and pets. Not crushing them was my paramount concern in the dream. As well as fighting some bald bloke who had massive bat wings.

Avoid strong cheese before bed. Oh and mushrooms,

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s their job, not their passion/hobby/childhood team. They’re all career players - which is fine, as long as they give 100% while we’re paying them.

We’d all **** off up the road if someone offered us a pile of cash and double the wages for doing the same thing (unless it was some grim Northern shithole, obviously)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here