Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton picture quiz

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Last one for the day - where was this church?

jg_20_083.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That's the Palace Pier, isn't it? Certainly not the same sort of style as Eugenius Birch's greatest creation.

What is clear from this thread is that Brighton & Hove has been raped of many marvellous buildings. I seem to remember reading a book in the new library about that. 'A Brave New City' or something along those lines.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's the Palace Pier, isn't it? Certainly not the same sort of style as Eugenius Birch's greatest creation.

What is clear from this thread is that Brighton & Hove has been raped of many marvellous buildings. I seem to remember reading a book in the new library about that. 'A Brave New City' or something along those lines.

Good book that - but then I would say that, cos I worked on it.

Even then, that book doesn't show a tenth of the buildings (many of which you can see on that James Gray website) that once adorned Brighton.

What I find genuinely enchanting about those photos is the lack of cars, especially in the photos taken after the war. For an idea of what's left of the narrow streets (many of which have been torn down) the closest I can think of is the bottom of Gloucester Road - although much of the North Laine is untouched. The odd car goes by now and then, but other than that, it's a quiet (in car terms) area, with a Victorian corner pub next to some smart little cottages.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nice work. Sadly, I printed off a picture of my old road (Oriental Place) and took a new photo of it to compare. The road looks so much narrowe with too many cars, big wheelie bins, litter and vomiting tramps adorning the new one. :nono:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Looks suspiciously like Lewes Road to me?

Edit: Actually no that looks more like Springfield Road or Ditchling Rise. The advent of London Road Station??

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think I know the answer to this one, purely because this sort of website was the basis to my dissertation. I shall refrain from spoiling it.

Totally agree about the cars, but it is 'PC madness' or something to make Brighton somewhat car free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here