Brighton only club to vote against home-grown rule

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Possibly fixtures but...

Brighton and Hove Albion have confirmed they were the only club to vote against the decision to introduce a new quota on home-grown players.

Chairman Dick Knight told BBC Southern Counties Radio he believes the Football League plan will not benefit lower division sides.

"We voted against this proposal because I don't think it goes anywhere near far enough," he said.

"It won't have any impact on the lower division clubs."

Thoughts?

Mar 13, 2008
it is true. But it may force the rule to happen in the premiership.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Voted no because it doesnt go far enough...eh? surely not far enough is better than nothing at all??

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I know it won't impact on a lot of the lower league sides. Look through our squad and most would be considered home grown anyway.

However, this would not be the case everywhere.

Surely the ruling would have been a step in the right direction.

it is very tokenistic, how many league clubs are presently fielding 13 foreign players out of there 16?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I love it when we are the odd club out.

No doubt we will get respect from a lot of football fans for standing up for our beliefs.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was stated on the news report I saw yesterday that all the league clubs complied with the rule in their last fixture. So what is the point?

Clearly Dick is correct in that it goes nowhere near far enough. The number has to be higher to make a difference, otherwise it's pointless.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was stated on the news report I saw yesterday that all the league clubs complied with the rule in their last fixture. So what is the point?

Clearly Dick is correct in that it goes nowhere near far enough. The number has to be higher to make a difference, otherwise it's pointless.

Principle? A building block for the future? It is a small step but a step in the correct direction. I'm disappointed the club voted against it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure I would have actually voted against it, but it goes nowhere near far enough so I can understand why some chairmen weren't happy.

I heard on Sky that last weekend no single starting line-up out of the 72 clubs would have had to have been changed. Hardly a significant move in the right direction, smacks of tokenism.

Jimmy Grimble

It's simply an artificial ruling trying to give the game a better image.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Funny thing is if WILKINS was manager then we probably would have voted FOR....

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Principle? A building block for the future? It is a small step but a step in the correct direction. I'm disappointed the club voted against it.

But given the fact that all league clubs complied with it anyway last week, its a completely superficial ruling. Whats the point of making a law if no-one was breaking it in the first place. The fact that Albion rejected it is not a sign of them disagreeing with it, seeing as we go along with it anyway, it seems a pointless ruling for the lower league clubs and DK was right to voice his objection

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fair play to Dick, but it does then beg a supplementary question.

If the new rule was for four home-grown players, and Dick doesn't think it's far enough, what point must be reached for him to consider it is far enough?

Just curious, like.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
What exactly has it got to do with Dick Tight ? What are his qualifications in football ?
Surely it should be down to the football professionals on the staff to say not some potless pillock whose only expertise is selling womens bras (and probably wearing them too).

:angry::angry::angry:

:bowdown: i was just going to write something similar

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Well I guess that shows that Dick doesn't think we'll be in the Prem any time soon then !!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports