Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton on 1983 top of the pops?

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Heard Brighton’s cup song being on top of the pops in 1983 referenced in Albion Unlimited today, but can’t find any evidence of it.

Did this happen?

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I think it was called “The Boys in the Old Brighton Blue” with “Goldstone Rap” on the B side. From what I remember, neither was particularly good.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
It was the 19th May 1983 edition, sandwiched between Just Got Lucky by JoBoxers and Yazoo's Nobody's Diary...

"13 minutes to 8, says Simon Bates for any fans of time who are just tuning in. We see a close-up of a record cover; The Seagulls, The Goldstone Rap. It has a football team on the cover. Ugh, this is the "something special," Gary Davies promised any watching football fans. What's it going to be? Chas & Dave singing about Tottenham? A preview of the England 1983 World Cup song? It's actually a long - by Top of the Pops standards - interview with assorted members of Brighton and Hove Albion. They are playing against Manchester United in the Cup Final on Saturday (Grandstand (BBC1) 11am The Final 3pm, as an overlaid caption helpful reminds viewers). Not to be rude to D Train but this seems like a better song to open the show."

Sauce : http://thiswayupzine.blogspot.com/2018/06/top-of-pops-12-and-19-may-1983.html

Jul 7, 2003
I think it was called “The Boys in the Old Brighton Blue” with “Goldstone Rap” on the B side. From what I remember, neither was particularly good.
I think I still have a signed copy somewhere - queued up at Boots record counter in their 'new' Worthing store to meet some of the players and I think Melia was there as well.

Boys in the Old Brighton Blue was okay. There was another single out at some point with a song called In Brighton which was a remake of the old Drifters song On Broadway.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Here you go rappers!

Attachments

• ACDE3FB0-B488-4356-B068-A5F3D48FF8B3.jpeg
    ACDE3FB0-B488-4356-B068-A5F3D48FF8B3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
sCan’t find anything from that week showing Albion, but here’s that weeks countdown in which they reference the cup final, but doesn’t include either song

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
I was working in Subway Records in West Street in 1983 and I remember Johnny Wakelin coming in with copies of his single “where seagulls fly” which we sold for him.
I still sing it in the bath now from time to time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here