Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton - Most dangerous place to be a student....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The fuller detail includes the following: 'Of the recorded crimes a Brighton student area had the highest rates of violence and sexual offences, burglary, and theft from the person'

This may give the impression that violence and sexual crimes are always occurring in Brighton. However do these figures include all the reports of homophobic behaviour occurring in and around the Amex, where there is no sexual assault.

I would have thought that rather than looking at reported crimes around the halls of residence, that it would have been better to ask the students themselves if they had been a victim of crime while away at university. I'm certain that this would give a much different result with Brighton much lower down the table.

I think any homophobic behaviour would be categorised as a hate crime.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That's only reported crimes, which probably means each one of the thousand Students has had a crime committed against them. Most of it is probably classed as low level crime so doesn't get a lot of attention from the Police in my personal experience. Along with the low level stuff,Sussex is probably one of the safest places in the country to commit Murder.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I said it's a bullshit article, which it is. As other have alluled to: more crimes doesn't mean more dangerous, it's a sensationalised headline. If students live on London road which has a lot of shoplifters caught, that doesn't mean it's more dangerous does it.

You're right actually sorry, it is a bullshit article. The "dangerous" part kind of negates any credibility the stats provide.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Completely meaningless scaremongering. Not all crimes are "dangerous". You could live in a place where there were 10 murders in a year and 50 armed robberies but that data would make it appear safer than a place where there were 70 bike thefts (to use an extreme analogy).

No wonder people who work with data and statistics tear their hair out at the way numbers are abused by journalists.

The last comment sums up my reaction completely. I work with a team of data analysts and project managers. I have sent this round to them as an example of how not to use data to draw conclusions!

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Seems extremely hard to believe. I moved to Brighton from Nottingham largely because it was so rough. In three years in Nottingham:
-bike stollen
-bricks thrown through front windows of my house three times
-chased by muggers on way home from lectures
-housemate beaten up in a random attack
-people smoking crack on our doorstep on a regular basis.
depends which area of most cities you can think of

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would say the stats themselves are bollocks. reckon they've misread their input stats, missing an 0, scaling, geographies or something. i doubt anywhere in the world has crime rate of >800 per 1000, no one would live there (looking forward to the correction... :) 0

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
depends which area of most cities you can think of

To a certain extent you're obviously right, but I lived in relatively nice parts of Nottingham and they were still rougher than some of the worst parts of Brighton. I've walked back from clubs right across Brighton at 4 on the morning off my face and wouldn't dream of doing that in Nottingham.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If they'd have misplaced an apostrophe or spelled a word wrongly people would be ripping the piss out of the author.
As it's "only" maths/stats people seem happier to accept it without question. Says a great deal about the standards/attitudes in this country.
(Not on this board so much I hasten to add)

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
To a certain extent you're obviously right, but I lived in relatively nice parts of Nottingham and they were still rougher than some of the worst parts of Brighton. I've walked back from clubs right across Brighton at 4 on the morning off my face and wouldn't dream of doing that in Nottingham.

For sure. Part of the reason is that Brighton has a relatively large centre with lots of peeps around. Not the only reason of course.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's not bullshit. It's statistics. But the data is interesting.

They got these figures by getting crimes from the surrounding area of a hall of residence .That surrounding area is a MSOA. These middle layer super output areas have to have a minimum population of 5000 and a max of 15,000. Assuming a dot is placed on every private hall of residence, then the nearest MSOA's data is gathered. It's no wonder Brighton looks horrendous.

I don't have a map of how Brighton's OAs look, but here's a map of Brighton Uni's halls. Imagine drawing a net around the nearest MSOA at each point here and getting the crime stats per 1000 people. That town centre hall must drag the stats waaaay south. Moulscobe certainly won't help either.

View attachment 64714

I'd love to see the location of the halls of residence for each of the universities in the list.

And they've made the wild assumption that all students live in private halls of residence, when the vast majority do not.

The research is flawed when it comes to students, but frightening when it comes to the poor residents that actually live in that area.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I'm not surprised due to statistics on sexual partners (10.59 per student per year!). If you're out late, drunk and looking to end up in someone else's bed, you may find yourself in an unwelcome situation.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's just Brighton has a larger concentration of students living in one part of the city whereas somewhere like Bristol the students are completely spread over the whole city.
I actually read an article a while back that Brighton was one of the least ghettoised cities, in terms of students, with them being widely spread across the city... and I think this has since become more so, with many students even living in Hove now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here