Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Brighton Marathon 2021

Can’t believe it has been 2 1/2 years since Brighton Marathon 2019 (the last time the 26.2 mile race was held).

So who will be running tomorrow?
Marshalling?
Supporting?
Getting involved or staying away?

Am looking forward to run the race tomorrow. Have done all previous 10 & the support is one of the best in my opinion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
18 months to prepare and they can't even measure the course properly.

I deferred to April 2022 due to injury but that will undoubtedly be my last given the price of it as well. Poor show.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Maybe they'll charge every runner a pro-rata amount for the extra distance.
£60 early bird entry fee for 2022 £15 more than last time.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Heard the lead changed with 200m to go? 2nd place should / could have won!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Maybe they'll charge every runner a pro-rata amount for the extra distance.
£60 early bird entry fee for 2022 £15 more than last time.

£60 doesn't seem that bad to me. Maybe I'm just used to how much races cost in North America, but I don't think I've paid less than the equivalent of £60 for a big race here.

As for the extra distance, that seems like a complete shambles. I could understand 50m but 568m is ridiculous. The only positive is at least it wasn't measured too short, so people will actually have valid marathon times.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
18 months to prepare and they can't even measure the course properly.

I deferred to April 2022 due to injury but that will undoubtedly be my last given the price of it as well. Poor show.

It baffles me how they can mess it up like that. It's not like BM is a new race or that the particular part of the course that put everything out has been changed. Someone's had an absolute shocker.

As for the price – totally agree. It's so expensive for a race that is, let's face it, not the most enjoyable route. Have you seen what they're asking for the trail marathon? :eek:

Heard the lead changed with 200m to go? 2nd place should / could have won!!

Yep, lead changed down the home stretch and the guy who won it did it with a PB of nearly an HOUR, apparently! I also read there was something dodgy going on with pacers, but I don't know which runner that related to.

They f***** it up in 2015 when the half marathon was too short. Can't these tossers get anything right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-39467250

The half and the full marathons are run by different race companies, so it seems that they are just as bad as each other.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, from what I’ve read it was an overpriced, wrongly measured, poorly facilitated, non UKA licenced (so potential GFA times won’t count) shambles. Well done BM :shootself:shootself

If and when I get back to any longer distances I’m sticking to the trails.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It baffles me how they can mess it up like that. It's not like BM is a new race or that the particular part of the course that put everything out has been changed. Someone's had an absolute shocker.

As for the price – totally agree. It's so expensive for a race that is, let's face it, not the most enjoyable route. Have you seen what they're asking for the trail marathon? :eek:

If I ever get full fitness back I think I'll be joining you and Dazzer doing more local trail based stuff. I really enjoyed Beachy Head. Doing something smaller but similar may help get back a running mojo that has currently legged it to the other side of the planet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
568m too long, need a new tape measure.

Always seems to me a cruel and unusual punishment to make the fun runners come out of the park and then immediately do a long and nasty slog up Preston Park Avenue. Quite a few of them seem thoroughly disheartened by the time they've struggled to the top. Did the 10k in 2019 and the runners came out the park and straight down London Road. The marathon course could do the same shirley? Especially if it's 568m too long in the first place

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If I ever get full fitness back I think I'll be joining you and Dazzer doing more local trail based stuff. I really enjoyed Beachy Head. Doing something smaller but similar may help get back a running mojo that has currently legged it to the other side of the planet.

Trail is great, although not at those prices. Have a look at one of the Sussex Trail Events runs – always a good laugh with a great bunch of runners.

Moyleman (my favourite race) is back next year. Tougher than BH, but a smaller field. You can team up and do half each (but do the first half, it's easier), which might be an option...?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Always seems to me a cruel and unusual punishment to make the fun runners come out of the park and then immediately do a long and nasty slog up Preston Park Avenue. Quite a few of them seem thoroughly disheartened by the time they've struggled to the top. Did the 10k in 2019 and the runners came out the park and straight down London Road. The marathon course could do the same shirley? Especially if it's 568m too long in the first place

Not as disheartened as they will be by the time they get to horror that is New Church Road and realise they have to do two lengths of it :sick:

I quite like the bit around the park – amazing support all the way up there, too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not as disheartened as they will be by the time they get to horror that is New Church Road and realise they have to do two lengths of it :sick:

I quite like the bit around the park – amazing support all the way up there, too.

New Church Road? PAH. I give you the Power Station..............

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
New Church Road? PAH. I give you the Power Station..............

I don't mind the power station bit – big crowds (these days), the turn for home (albeit quite a long way) and local (to me, at least) support to keep me going for the last 10k and final push. Not as soulless as it was when the event started.

I had to drop out at 15 miles yesterday as was feeling unwell (reacted badly to the sun and heat) but not too downheartened, got a new best for half-marathon distance and the training went relatively well, lost a bit of weight and it was a good experience overall.

Be interesting to see where the "extra" bit of the run was, talk on social media was that it was out near Rottingdean, which would make sense, as when I got to halfway my time was about 7 mins slower than all the many times I'd done in training, which was very weird and pychologically disheartening at the time, now probably half of that was down to me/sun and half the course.

Bigger picture though it's such a superb event I find it hard to be particularly upset at the organisers. Two really good things this year was the big village (made a nice change from the Brighton Centre when I did it a few years ago) and the staggered start worked really well, no bunching and crowding. I signed up months ago for next April, so like a football team with a bad result, it's good to "go again soon"

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Comes straight past my flat on franklin road, great turn out, well done to all those involved

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I train doing the park laps of Preston Park Avenue and always think doing that hill 20 times will serve me well on the flatter course on the day. That's the theory anyway, the practice can be somewhat different

Comes straight past my flat on franklin road, great turn out, well done to all those involved

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Now that's a hill. Used to live on the corner of Franklin and Wellington and was so out of puff on the hill climbing I didn't even look at my old place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here