Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton manager Gus Poyet admits there could be a 'problem' if he is approached by C

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Wolves is one thing .. Chelsea or Spurs quite another. If Gus were to go because he couldn't get us to Prem it would be a mid table mob like Villa/Fulham. Too many ahead of him in the race for a go at a top 6 club I reckon

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I certainly wouldn't blame him for moving on if C or T came calling. Obviously, I'd be devastated, but it'd be completely understandable. Like most of us, I want him to stay and have the honour of taking us to the Prem. However, if he did go, I would thank him forever more for putting us in a fantastic league position. I'd then look forward to seeing Gianfranco Zola take the reins ( hopefully )

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He has been great for The Albion (him and Tony Bloom), however, I suspect that Gus knows that he is nowhere near ready for Chelsea or Tottenham. He needs at least 2 more seasons with us (including getting us promoted) to continue learning. Let's face it, as good as he has been so far he still gets some things wrong although our league position suggests otherwise.

Soon Gus, soon, but not just yet.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If Chelsea or Spurs offer him the job, who could blame him for going. I would be gutted to see him go, but thank him and wish him well. He would be nuts to turn them down and we have to accept that.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm stunned by this news. Why would anyone rather manage Chelsea or Spurs than the Albion?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There's a number of clubs where he would be mad to say no, and there are a few that will be looking for managers over the summer and I wouldn't be surprise if they included a few others as well as Chelsea and Tottenham e.g. Liverpool (Kenny can't last too many more defeats), Newcastle (don't be surprised if Ashley makes another suicidal decision), Villa (Mcleish is just awful) and Everton (David Moyes has performed miracles and must be poached soon). All of these clubs are well established and I wouldn't blame Gus for going there (except that Villa and Everton might not make the cash available that Gus might want).

Gus has been brilliant. If a well-established premiership team approaches him, then I would say that is his just reward.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Thing is, Gus isn't going to be offered Spurs or Chelsea job yet. If we are a success and do manage to make it up to the Premiership in the next few years then he has less reason to move on. If we are not in the Premiership in a few years then he's not going to be quite such an appealing prospect to the Premiership clubs is he? And Bloom may decide to make a change if we're not progressing anyway.

Win win for us I'd say.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Why don't you stop talking about other clubs Gus and say something positive about Brighton for a change! There is nothing small-time about managing a 30,000 club in the worlds most popular league.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Why don't you stop talking about other clubs Gus and say something positive about Brighton for a change! There is nothing small-time about managing a 30,000 club in the worlds most popular league.

Except he's not doing that at the moment is he?

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
The thing I love about Gus Poyet is that he is honest about his ambition. Good for him if he is taken by either of these clubs, and on his performance as a manager so far who could say he doesn't deserve it. Yes I would be disappointed if he left, but where he has taken us from and where we are now is a great achievement. He has made us an attractive club for any manager now, and if he was to go the list of managers that want to take on the job of leading us to the promised land would be lengthy. I believe that Tony Bloom is a smart enough man to appoint a suitable replacement that would keep us on the up and up. Whether Chelsea or Tottenham will come calling is yet to be seen, but I for one am not going to worry.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well its all going rather well at the moment but lets think back to Nov time and his "you dont like it i go home comments" when we were having a bad run.

Levy and Abramovich would NEVER stand for it. Gus is lucky he has LOADS of credit in the bank. At chelsea and tottenham he has NONE.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This is a complete non-story.

1. No-one is suggesting that he is anywhere near the front of the queue for either jobs, and it would be, quite frankly, amazing if he was.
2. No-one could have ever doubted this, without Gus saying it. Of course we'd have "a problem" if clubs like them came in for him, why would he NOT want either of those jobs?

Nothing to see here, as absolutely nothing has changed.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
2 years on big money at chelsea or tottenham then out on his arse, waiting 18 months for another 'suitable' job or 10 years at the Albion probably taking us to the Prem and maybe even Europe, he wouldn't like the egos at Prem level.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Neither Spurs or Chelsea will offer Poyet their managers job at the moment. If Harry gets the England job, David Moyes will go to Spurs. Poyet is not ready for or high profile enough for Chelsea. No experience of managing in Europe.

And then there wiil be a vacancy at Everton, which would be very worrying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here