Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton make move to sign Giannis Konstantelias...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My mate loves nothing more than a Greek salad, followed by a heathy portion of baklava – washed down with a pint of ouzo – and he reckons he's shitehouse.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
People tend to underestimate how useful that process is. I wanted a personalised car plate but it was way too expensive. Far cheaper was to change my name to GU09 AWK! :)
By the time they've got through the deed poll backlog the car will have rusted away.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Because Cyprus is divided into 2 nation states. Cyprus(Greek) and Northern Cyprus (Turkish).?
Yes indeed. one an illegal occupation that is not recognised as a separate country internationally. And neither should it be. Dreadful land grab by the Turkish that is a stain on the EU and is the biggest reason it is difficult for Turkey to join the EU.

It certainly isn't irrelevant to describe someone as Greek Cypriot.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My mate loves nothing more than a Greek salad, followed by a heathy portion of baklava – washed down with a pint of ouzo – and he reckons he's shitehouse.
I gave my missus one up the wrong'un the other night, and I concur with your mate.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes indeed. one an illegal occupation that is not recognised as a separate country internationally. And neither should it be. Dreadful land grab by the Turkish that is a stain on the EU and is the biggest reason it is difficult for Turkey to join the EU.

Never trust a Turk.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
We did indeed have a 'Greek ' Cypriot, it's strange that we don't also say an 'English' Australian, or 'English' American. An Australian is Australian, they speak English, an American is an American, they speak English (sort of). Alexis Nicholas is a Cypriot, he speaks Greek (sort of), but for reasons that should be lost in the midst of time and war, people still refer to Cypriots as Greek Cypriots.
My partner's large extended family of Turkish Cypriots whe ended up fleeing to London might have a few words to explain why this distinction still exists.

As an aside, crossing the buffer zone in Nicosia is a fantastically strange experience. Middle of the city but deserted apart from a UN cafe, then you reach the Turkish customs and are welcomed with a sign saying "This is the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus FOR EVER" or something to that effect.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
We did indeed have a 'Greek ' Cypriot, it's strange that we don't also say an 'English' Australian, or 'English' American. An Australian is Australian, they speak English, an American is an American, they speak English (sort of). Alexis Nicholas is a Cypriot, he speaks Greek (sort of), but for reasons that should be lost in the midst of time and war, people still refer to Cypriots as Greek Cypriots.
The reason is not lost. Significant numbers of cypriots have Turkish heritage. Hence several small wars and Turkish invasion.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I'm no expert on Cyprus but didn't the Turkish army invade after the coup d'etat by the Greek military junta? Of course, there's a lot (thousands of years) of history preceding this but as far as I know it wasn't just the Turkish being the bad guys.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

The best player you've never heard of.

Robin Friday would probably have something to say about that if he was still alive!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I'm less curious about this potential signing than I am about what @Superphil's response to the various explanations on Greek Cypriot nomenclature will be.

Double down on "it makes no sense", accept a lesson learned in good humour or go into hiding for a year or two seem to be the only options. Which will he take?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm no expert on Cyprus but didn't the Turkish army invade after the coup d'etat by the Greek military junta? Of course, there's a lot (thousands of years) of history preceding this but as far as I know it wasn't just the Turkish being the bad guys.

As I recall, Cyprus was governed by a government headed by Archbishop Mackarios, (spelling?) which was adjudged to be quite moderate. Then what was described as a gangster regime took over, and the Turks feared for the safety of the "Turkish Cypriots" living in the north, hence the invasion.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As I recall, Cyprus was governed by a government headed by Archbishop Mackarios, (spelling?) which was adjudged to be quite moderate. Then what was described as a gangster regime took over, and the Turks feared for the safety of the "Turkish Cypriots" living in the north, hence the invasion.
If Turkey invaded Cyprus from the rear, would Greece help ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has there been a top class Greek player?
1704381710841.png

Best I can do.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
The Greeks will tell you it's an illegal and unprovoked occupation by Turkey, the Turks will tell you it was a necessary intervention to protect a Turkish minority from an aggressive Greek puppet regime.

Turkey may have come in like a bull in a china shop saying "try and stop us", but it wasn't unprovoked. The end result is a state of perpetual limbo between the two sides of Cyprus.

Under British rule the Greeks and Turks were quite intermingled but after the fall of the Ottomans and the wars that followed in Anatolia, Greek-Turkish relations collapsed to disastrous effect in Cyprus.

So this Konstantelias kid is good then?

Last edited:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Because there are also Turkish Cypriots who are from Cyprus but are from the Turkish side and are associated more with Turkish culture.

Whilst both are Cypriots it helps to distinguish them, especially when one side isn't internationally recognised.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
The Greeks will tell you it's an illegal and unprovoked occupation by Turkey, the Turks will tell you it was a necessary intervention to protect a Turkish minority from an aggressive Greek puppet regime.

Turkey may have come in like a bull in a china shop saying "try and stop us", but it wasn't unprovoked. The end result is a state of perpetual limbo between the two sides of Cyprus.

Under British rule the Greeks and Turks were quite intermingled but after the fall of the Ottomans and the wars that followed in Anatolia, Greek-Turkish relations collapsed to disastrous effect in Cyprus.
It was also encouraged heavily by the US and UK as it was around the time of heightened tensions with Russia.

This allowed The Green Line to exist giving a permanent presence to militaries in the Mediterranean.

Tensions in Cyprus are nowhere near what they used to be, but are obviously still there.

My Grandfather is from Northern Cyprus so I've been there quite a few times, beautiful area that was likely going to become one of the biggest tourist hotspots in Europe as the beaches are far better than the Greek side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here