Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton Ladies Team

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
It's like having my very own stalker with you about. I can hardly comment on anything - and there you are like a jack in the box.

How about practising what you preach? Accusing someone on the IKEA thread of being a snowflake just because of their choice of school - pitiful.

I'm always obnoxious to people who are obnoxious about women or women's football - especially if they deal in misogyny.

Interesting. Diablo writes a meaningless, derogatory, misogynistic post, and you round on the person calling him out. Says a lot.

There's an awful lot of howling going on from some quarters about how little they care about women's football - just to make sure they know everyone knows, they'll broadcast this on repeat. You saw it was a women's football thread, and you can't help yourselves.

Personally, I'll support anyone playing for Brighton & Hove Albion - men's team, women's team, powerchair team. More, if I could get to the games. There's nothing politically correct (what a meaningless phrase that is here) about doing that. For me, and thousands of others, it's something they want to do.

And what do you lot do in response? Grizzle.

Really? Or are you a politically correct bandwagon jumper as it's the trendy thing to be 'into' women's football? How many times did the women's team feature on the Albion roar 10 years ago? It's a low quality, minority sport and will never get anywhere near the men's game. Good luck to them and all that (as long as they they get back to knock up a roast dinner) but keep it away from the men's coverage on the BBC football website etc.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Why do these threads always get derailed by people with no interest in women's football? Don't you all have anything better to do with your lives?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Really? Or are you a politically correct bandwagon jumper as it's the trendy thing to be 'into' women's football? How many times did the women's team feature on the Albion roar 10 years ago? It's a low quality, minority sport and will never get anywhere near the men's game. Good luck to them and all that (as long as they they get back to knock up a roast dinner) but keep it away from the men's coverage on the BBC football website etc.

How on earth is it 'trendy' to watch women's football? The audience figures alone don't back that up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That stat about 25% is misleading, as it is just the breakdown of ‘attenders’. There may be women who only attended 1 or 2 games last year, yet they will count as an attender the same as someone that attends 30-40 games. You only have to look around at the Amex on a match day (particularly the toilet queues or search queues) to know that the average crowd is probably more like 85-90% male. And it’s probably more like 95% in an average away end.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
From what I have seen on TV womens football and cricket has come on leaps and bounds. Whilst I wish our team well have no interest in watching and am amazed these are now full time on gates of 200/400

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Christ. If ever something sums up the phrase “false dichotomy” it’s this thread.

I honestly think we are at 20% female attendance at home but, obviously, less away. I take my daughter and we had 3 females who came away with us in the early 90s but they were just part of the gang like Sarah Watts & Liz Costa were on the coach. I see far more female fans around now. But let’s not over exaggerate numbers either way.

We should support all the teams that represent our magnificent club. If you can’t get to watch a game in Crawley that doesn’t make you a sexist but why not get there if you can?

The quality of Ladies football at the moment, judging from the reasonable amount of international games I’ve watched with my daughter, is fairly poor but it won’t get better if we write it off.

Success for any of our teams contributes to our brand and attracts sponsorship and money that will help the success of the Premier League squad. It’s not rocket science that we should support it. But it would be much easier to support in Brighton than Crawley.

Good luck to Hope and the team. I won’t be watching. I have a limited amount of time for football watching and my family commitments will not let me go to non EPL games, especially given my son plays. But I’ll be cheering from afar and, if we ever decide to make the sensible decision to move their games to the Amex instead of Crawley I’d have to go to at least one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Diablo writes a meaningless, derogatory, misogynistic post, and you round on the person calling him out.

You got me wrong.....I support BHAFC and have done for 50 years. I have nothing against "Ladies Football" it is just not for me.(which seems to be a problem with you) I am surprised that women represent circa 20% of our supporters.
Whether you like it or not Womens Football,Cricket,Tennis,Rugby Athletics etc etc is nowhere near the standard of Mens and I like many like to watch the best standard I can. Sorry to upset you but I`m sure I`m in the majority.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
It's like having my very own stalker with you about. I can hardly comment on anything - and there you are like a jack in the box.

How about practising what you preach? Accusing someone on the IKEA thread of being a snowflake just because of their choice of school - pitiful.

I'm always obnoxious to people who are obnoxious about women or women's football - especially if they deal in misogyny.

Interesting. Diablo writes a meaningless, derogatory, misogynistic post, and you round on the person calling him out. Says a lot.

There's an awful lot of howling going on from some quarters about how little they care about women's football - just to make sure they know everyone knows, they'll broadcast this on repeat. You saw it was a women's football thread, and you can't help yourselves.

Personally, I'll support anyone playing for Brighton & Hove Albion - men's team, women's team, powerchair team. More, if I could get to the games. There's nothing politically correct (what a meaningless phrase that is here) about doing that. For me, and thousands of others, it's something they want to do.

And there you go again,

Mr Obnoxious and arrogant against ANYONE who disagrees with you,,,,

For the record I'm not in the slightest interested in women's football..... So shoot me!!!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That stat about 25% is misleading, as it is just the breakdown of ‘attenders’. There may be women who only attended 1 or 2 games last year, yet they will count as an attender the same as someone that attends 30-40 games. You only have to look around at the Amex on a match day (particularly the toilet queues or search queues) to know that the average crowd is probably more like 85-90% male. And it’s probably more like 95% in an average away end.

That also applies to the men.

I, for instance, was counted at every home game as a season ticket holder despite the fact that I didn't go to a single home game after January.

Pretendance has long been a bullshit stat around these parts and it is genderless.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You may have a point but you lost it with the thousands remark, that is wrong. It is growing, it is also of a lower standard of any "paid" men's football by a huge margin. The poor attendances has nothing to do with where it's played but entertainment value. The only way these girls can earn a living is on the back of the men's financial draw. There was one from arsenal who believed she should be on the same wage as the men, deluded.

Having said if they want to play and the club feel it's good for the overall inclusion philosophy we have all adopted sobeit, goodo

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You may have a point but you lost it with the thousands remark, that is wrong. It is growing, it is also of a lower standard of any "paid" men's football by a huge margin. The poor attendances has nothing to do with where it's played but entertainment value. The only way these girls can earn a living is on the back of the men's financial draw. There was one from arsenal who believed she should be on the same wage as the men, deluded.

Having said if they want to play and the club feel it's good for the overall inclusion philosophy we have all adopted sobeit, goodo

I've been to Albion Women's games with the attendance in four figures several times. Thousands do go. Not 30,000, but we're not exactly talking one man and his dog either.

Also, I find the some of the games highly entertaining. The quality is lower than men's football, but that's beside the point. If you watch the quality of Hereford v Brighton in 1997 (the first game that sprung into my head to make this point), it was abysmal; Preston Park stuff - but it couldn't be beaten for sheer drama. Quality and entertainment aren't always one and the same.

It's not about an 'overall inclusion philosophy', it's about doing it because it's the obvious and right thing to do. Though some would dismiss that as merely being 'PC' etc.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Interesting that you chose to use 'girls' and 'men' rather than 'women'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have precisely zero interest in womens football. But I don't object to it.

I'm not sure where this leaves me.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Women’s football just doesn’t engender the same passion for me as the men’s game, at either club or international level. Our women could stuff Palace’s women 10-0 and it wouldn’t give the tiniest of bragging rights.

Only bloke I know that’s really into it is a well known sex pest, so fairly sure that he has ulterior motives.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've been to Albion Women's games with the attendance in four figures several times. Thousands do go. Not 30,000, but we're not exactly talking one man and his dog either.

Also, I find the some of the games highly entertaining. The quality is lower than men's football, but that's beside the point. If you watch the quality of Hereford v Brighton in 1997 (the first game that sprung into my head to make this point), it was abysmal; Preston Park stuff - but it couldn't be beaten for sheer drama. Quality and entertainment aren't always one and the same.

It's not about an 'overall inclusion philosophy', it's about doing it because it's the obvious and right thing to do. Though some would dismiss that as merely being 'PC' etc.

The point I was making was the being paid issue, there’s no way they can or will be able to support themselves and I fear it being part of the stipulation of the league is wrong

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Interesting that you chose to use 'girls' and 'men' rather than 'women'.

No it’s not apart from people like you wishing to pick up on a perfectly acceptable usage of a word get the **** over yourself freak

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't understand why women have found it necessary to play what has traditionally been a man's game. They've got their own sports: netball, stoolball … why not develop those?
Has your trawler returned to port yet ? ???

[emoji38]ol:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It's not about an 'overall inclusion philosophy', it's about doing it because it's the obvious and right thing to do.

That surely is one of the most stupid statements I've read on NSC. Why the hell is women's football "the right thing to do"? The right thing to do for what? Look, if women want to play football, that's fine. What I don't understand is why men's football feels the need to tag women's teams on to their clubs. Let the women set up their own clubs. The fact is that women's football is unlikely to ever be profitable in the foreseeable future so the money that this club and others are using to subsidise the women's team could instead be used to improve the finances of the men's team.

I cannot see any logic in the current set-up where teams like the Albion believe it's necessary to have a women's team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here