Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Kite Surfers

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
absolutely mental! this took three years to organise!

BBC NEWS | England | Sussex | Two kite surfers jump over pier

:ohmy:

BBC News said:
Two kite surfers from West Sussex took advantage of strong winds on the south coast to realise an ambition to jump over Worthing pier.

Jake Scrace, 25, and Lewis Crathern, 24, had been planning Monday morning's jump for three years but had to wait for perfect weather conditions.

Carpenter Mr Scrace, who makes kite boards, and professional kite surfer Mr Crathern are both from Worthing.

Between them they have 16 years' experience in the sport.

They took off from Goring to the west side of Worthing in gusts of wind that were more than 40mph, and had two helpers on the beach.

The pair said the jump was quite hazardous and should not be attempted by amateurs.

"It was probably the most terrifying thing I've ever built up to," said Scrace.

"We were practising down the road and we were pretty confident we were going to do it but as soon as we got nearer the pier it was quite hard."

Mr Crathern said the jump was "epic".

"It was everything I've lived for - amazing," he said.

Last edited:

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
why 3 years to organise??

Because the conditions had to be spot on.

I play golf with Lewis' dad, and that lad was the uk champ for a few years. Lives in Worthing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"Brighton Kite Surfers " er, from Worthing actually.... getting a job with The Southampton Echo soon ?:laugh:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Awesome thing to do

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Sorry, but I cant see whats so great. You're attached to a parachute so you cant fall. Move it into the wind and you go up, move it out of the wind and you go down. Simples! Where's the hazard?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sorry, but I cant see whats so great. You're attached to a parachute so you cant fall. Move it into the wind and you go up, move it out of the wind and you go down. Simples! Where's the hazard?

I don't think it's quite that straight forward !

When are we going to see your attempt :p

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove

Yeah, like riding the moped in your profile. Just turn the key and and off you go, simple.:thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Errr...smashing into the pier at 40mph ?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Errr...smashing into the pier at 40mph ?

But they were miles away from the metal work. If they had skimmed it by a few inches that would have been a great stunt.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
why 3 years to organise??

Er, good stuff fellas, well done for organising the weather, even if it did take you 3 years, perhaps you could have a word with the Sudan and Ethiopian Governements, I'm sure they'd reward you handsomely for organising them some rain, even if it did take 3 years.

"Brighton Kite Surfers " er, from Worthing actually.... getting a job with The Southampton Echo soon ?:laugh:

Quite, it's just like watching South Today

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here