Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Brighton is the team that plays the most beautiful football in the world with Manchester City"

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
These plaudits are beginning to get a bit cringe. I imagine De Zerbi is getting annoyed with it as well.

Bottom line we've won nothing and in addition we've recently been thrashed by two dross sides in forest and everton.

Not time to bask in any glory yet.
I slightly disagree with the last line, but yeah you've got a point. Obviously we all think this is absolutely brilliant and we're rubbing our eyes in wonder unable to believe what we're witnessing. But in overall dispassionate football terms we haven't [*takes deep breath as this will get flack*] really achieved anything. We've had one season where we went from being perennial relegation candidates to a top ten finish. Now we've got another one where we should qualify for Europe. This is all good, don't get me wrong, but at the moment however we haven't even achieved what Norwich City did in the early 1990s. They were everybody's favourite other team, praised for their positive, attack-minded passing football. They finished 3rd in the PL, qualified for Europe (UEFA Cup) and outplayed Bayern Munich. (They got knocked out by the eventual winners, Inter Milan). Now look at them. Outside of Norwich (and a few anoraks) does anyone even remember their achievements in that period?

However we are Brighton, and if this is 'Peak Albion' in the same way as 1994 was 'Peak Norwich' then I intend to enjoy it. As someone else said lets enjoy 'these days' before they become the 'good old days'.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My missus works in a small primary school. in a small village in rural Powys. They know she's a Brighton fan, but until recently the talk in the playground has all been about the traditional successful teams (you know, those ones). Not any more! Brighton have a growing little fanbase in the Crickhowell area, the kids are coming up to her enthused about our performances and disappointed with our losses. They are excited when they get a Panini (or whatever it is these days) card with a Brighton player and Christie (the missus) has become the football guru of play times, if she says its a penalty then it must be right!

Anyway the message is spreading, even to the villages of Wales........(the kids love Enciso most of all of our players, they know how to spot talent!)

I think it's great.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
He didn’t say we were the team getting the most consistent results……
Exactly. Some of the stats for this season are amazing. We play exciting football, which is high on risk and reward. Sometimes we lose, that’s ok by me, because I’ve gone into virtually every game this year thinking we can not only get a result but that we can win. We could yet win our last four games and qualify for CL. Fanciful, yes, but the fact it could still happen at this stage of the season is an absolute outrageous thing that needs to be celebrated and enjoyed now! UTA.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
The team absolutely deserve the plaudits, we’re fantastic atm. However, we’ve all seen the British press at work.

The sheer volume of celebratory articles around our style of play feels like the setup before the fall.

Lose RDZ, have the new manager start slowly, and expect lots of “Have Brighton imploded?” or “from riches to rags” style stories.

I’m not anti these amazing, positive stories, but I am waiting for the metaphorical sock with a half brick in when we fall from being the current media darlings.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

"Brighton is the team that plays the most beautiful football in the world with Manchester City"​

Certainly in OUR world. Just gave Arsenal a sound spanking at their place. If we fail to do the same to a dreary Newcastle side, the only difference will be down to a late Callum Wilson penalty :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As someone rightly said recently....

One day we will look back on these times as 'the good old days'

So lets enjoy the good old days whilst they are the actual days :)
More than once recently I've looked at our team sheet and thought "this is one of those team sheets which get dredged up 10-15 years from now on a "wow, can you believe all these players played together?" piece", so agreed, enjoy it while it lasts.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
True but we might never win any meaningful trophies. I’ve learned to break down my BHA experience into little bursts of short term pain and pleasure. Emotionally it’s hard to focus on entire seasons or longer term projects. So I’m loving the style of football and the points we’re racking up in the process, and those things are their own reward.
Yes I'm the same. And never thought I would be. I thought crapping on about playing 'the right way' and watching scintillating football was the preserve of football tourists and sad act entitled part time fans of the likes of Arsenal and Barcelona. But I've come to the conclusion this season that its because I'd never seen amazing football regularly before! And that had driven my motivation to be a 1970s just win at all costs merchant.

But the times this season I've sat back in my seat and marvelled at the rat-a-tat passing exchanges leading to rapid breaks where you can barely contain the smugness. I'd pay for that alone.

How many times has going to the match been a chore or a matter of habit but entirely without joy?

Gotta enjoy it while it's here. I genuinely can't wait to get to the game currently and am excited about what I might see like a little kid.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Football is cyclical. Sometimes your team are good, sometimes your team are shit.

The principle applies to every club. But I just don't remember seeing another club anywhere where there were such extremes of good and shit in the adult living memory of most of it's support base.

The wheel will turn again of course. I just think it will be a good while until we see Glenn Thomas away at Brentford type level of football again. Thankfully.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
These plaudits are beginning to get a bit cringe. I imagine De Zerbi is getting annoyed with it as well.

Bottom line we've won nothing and in addition we've recently been thrashed by two dross sides in forest and everton.

Also Cassano is an utter bellend. Really overrated as well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

This is where we differ… I don’t buy into this ‘won nothing’ thing as a measure of success. It’s an armchair /plastic way of looking at football. Chances are, in the top division, we never will win anything. That isn’t a barometer of success though. We didn’t win anything the season we finished 17th - I know which season I consider huge success…

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Then don't read them, then. Or ignore them :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is where we differ… I don’t buy into this ‘won nothing’ thing as a measure of success. It’s an armchair /plastic way of looking at football. Chances are, in the top division, we never will win anything. That isn’t a barometer of success though. We didn’t win anything the season we finished 17th - I know which season I consider huge success…
Glad someone said it. Same with the mojo poll - some people would only be a 10 based on where we end up, however football is about enjoying the first game, that 90mins and moving onto the next - the journey. We've been absolutely fantastic this season. We don't get a trophy for doing doubles over Chelsea and Man Utd, thrashing Liverpool and Arsenal - but it feels like we should. What we just did at the Emirates was special, doesn't win a trophy, but it up there as a significant moment in the club's history. What will be will be in terms of European spots, if we were to miss out, doesn't lesson the achievements of getting here.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Glad someone said it. Same with the mojo poll - some people would only be a 10 based on where we end up, however football is about enjoying the first game, that 90mins and moving onto the next - the journey. We've been absolutely fantastic this season. We don't get a trophy for doing doubles over Chelsea and Man Utd, thrashing Liverpool and Arsenal - but it feels like we should. What we just did at the Emirates was special, doesn't win a trophy, but it up there as a significant moment in the club's history. What will be will be in terms of European spots, if we were to miss out, doesn't lesson the achievements of getting here.
I’d almost go as far as saying this is as good, if not better than any ‘trophy’ win - ie the league cup. It’s long lasting and lasted a season or two already. I hate this ‘won nothing’ line I really really do. Modern football yuckiness…!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The team absolutely deserve the plaudits, we’re fantastic atm. However, we’ve all seen the British press at work.

The sheer volume of celebratory articles around our style of play feels like the setup before the fall.

Lose RDZ, have the new manager start slowly, and expect lots of “Have Brighton imploded?” or “from riches to rags” style stories.

I’m not anti these amazing, positive stories, but I am waiting for the metaphorical sock with a half brick in when we fall from being the current media darlings.
If the team deserve the plaudits then you can hardly blame the press for reporting it…that’s what they are there for. Equally, if the team implodes that will also be worth writing about. I haven’t seen anything in the media suggesting anymore than we are playing well in the here and now and the recruitment is working…for the moment. Pretty similar to any of the fans really.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
If the team deserve the plaudits then you can hardly blame the press for reporting it…that’s what they are there for. Equally, if the team implodes that will also be worth writing about. I haven’t seen anything in the media suggesting anymore than we are playing well in the here and now and the recruitment is working…for the moment. Pretty similar to any of the fans really.

Agreed, it’s just that in my experience, having built something up, our press enjoys knocking it down again.

Hopefully unfounded paranoia on my part, the volume of love being shown atm just feels a bit overwhelming.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
During lock down I had every sport channel and hours of spare time, but could hardly bring myself to watch any football, unless we were playing. I watched the World Cup avidly and find myself increasingly watching football with a critical eye.

How many time do you see sides trying to play out from the back and the ball goes to the full back, who has one option to play the ball forward along the touchline? We did this more than usual against Arsenal, but Mitoma in particular was superb at knowing when to drop short. Fergsuson was also magnificent holding the ball up and bringing the midfield into play, watching an 18 year old bully International centre backs was inspirational and then you had Colwill absolutely ruining Odegaard's day.

Other teams have better individuals, other teams have more experienced players, other teams have more expensively assembled squads. These are good reasons why we can't win everything and sometimes we may take a hammering. Doesn't mean the football isn't out of this world, esepcially when things do click.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here