[Brighton] Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Brightonian means born and bred
you might have been born in Brighton and lived somewhere else all your life but you are still a Brightonian and the reverse is the same you might have lived in Brighton nearly all your life but it does not make you a Brightonian.

This with bells on :thumbsup:

I haven't lived in Brighton since 1998 but I was born in Central Brighton and grew up there and still call myself a Brightonian.
I hear people being called Brightonians just because they have lived there for a couple of years.

A Scouser living elsewhere other than Liverpool is still a Scouser.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I haven't lived in Brighton since 1998 but I was born in Central Brighton and grew up there and still call myself a Brightonian.
I hear people being called Brightonians just because they have lived there for a couple of years.

spot on

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Sorry for the predictability but someone here may not have heard this before...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But a scouser is a certain type of person from Liverpool. Not everyone from Liverpool is a scouser in my opinion. For example I wouldn't consider the actor Tom Baker a scouser but he was born and raised in Liverpool.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
But a scouser is a certain type of person from Liverpool. Not everyone from Liverpool is a scouser in my opinion. For example I wouldn't consider the actor Tom Baker a scouser but he was born and raised in Liverpool.

think he is 118

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

In your opinion, I won't argue with that. :)
What do you mean by a certain type of person?
Tom Baker might consider himself a Scouser, I can't comment as I've never met him.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The thing that has ruined Brighton is all the idiots who move here and then want to change things, if you don't like it then don't move here

Indeed. Particularly the numerous stories of people moving to the Lanes and North Laine and then complaining about noise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In your opinion, I won't argue with that. :)
What do you mean by a certain type of person?
Tom Baker might consider himself a Scouser, I can't comment as I've never met him.

All I meant by "certain type" is the idea that only a subset of people born and raised in Liverpool are scousers. I wasn't trying to define one. Fair point, he may well consider himself a scouser. Again I was just using him as an example. The wife for example was born in the same hospital as Craig Noone and raised in Liverpool until 11 but doesn't consider herself a scouser.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Couldn't agree more. I did London for a couple of years and never got on with it. I still work here mainly because its where the majority of the companies I could work for are and because the money is that much better up here. However at the end of each day I can't wait to get back home and away from the horrible shite that you read about day after day in the Evening Standard. Compare that to Sussex.....the current number one read story on the argus website is about a lorry getting stuck in the Laines and this morning Sussex police tweeted about a tree being stolen!

Don't get me wrong it's not Narnia down here. Bad stuff does happen (road rage attack the other week prime example) and there are some grotty parts (even in Brighton!!) but it's a damn site better than a lot of places in the world.

:annoyed:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
All I meant by "certain type" is the idea that only a subset of people born and raised in Liverpool are scousers. I wasn't trying to define one. Fair point, he may well consider himself a scouser. Again I was just using him as an example. The wife for example was born in the same hospital as Craig Noone and raised in Liverpool until 11 but doesn't consider herself a scouser.

think she is though 118

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Maybe your wife doesn't consider herself a Scouser as she left the city as a child.

Everyone that I have met that was born and lived in Liverpool for a number of years is always proud to call themselves a Scouser.
I have found Geordies to be the same.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Although the band was formed in Brighton, none of them were born there. Jez is from Crawley but that's as close a local connection there is. Aside from Jez who (afaik) still lives local, the rest of the band live elsewhere these days.

Not true. Charlie, the drummer, is a mate of mine. He lives with his family off Elm Grove.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Maybe your wife doesn't consider herself a Scouser as she left the city as a child.

Everyone that I have met that was born and lived in Liverpool for a number of years is always proud to call themselves a Scouser.
I have found Geordies to be the same.

I think your criteria is too narrow and a little bit irrelevant, as are scousers and geordies .....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed. Particularly the numerous stories of people moving to the Lanes and North Laine and then complaining about noise.

Quite.

The most egregious example of this is the way that inhabitants of the new flats by the Open Market have objected to the stallholders opening up at 7.00 in the morning. They now can't get in until 9.00, which means they don't really start trading until 9.30. Sod the stallholders who are now losing business

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry, I'm not with you?

I am trying to understand the relevance of being a Brightonian due to some set of specific rules and if it has any relevance to anyones Brighton status.

What is the difference or not of a person that was brought up in two parts of the city, but undeniably 'old' Brighton that have very little common experience.

Its just a thought as I have never considered myself a Brightonian, but have always considered myself from Brighton although I have never lived inside the city, but my whole life experience has been based around the city.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Things that annoy about Brighton

1: The litter is strewn about the streets, I don't care who's fault it is be it students or lazy arse residents who don't cover up rubbish. The council need to sort it even if they need new bins for everyone, its a feckin eye sore and makes the city look like a dump.

2: Cockneys be them on a day trip or just moved in.

3: Left wing hippies, muesli mountain right on media hipsters.

4: 20mph "everywhere" is not required.

5: Way to many coffee shops in the laines,

:rant:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am trying to understand the relevance of being a Brightonian due to some set of specific rules and if it has any relevance to anyones Brighton status.

What is the difference or not of a person that was brought up in two parts of the city, but undeniably 'old' Brighton that have very little common experience.

Its just a thought as I have never considered myself a Brightonian, but have always considered myself from Brighton although I have never lived inside the city, but my whole life experience has been based around the city.

It's just my opinion, there are no specific rules.

I just don't get it when people from Surrey that have lived in Brighton for a couple of years are called Brightonians.
And why shouldn't I be a Brightonian just because I have moved along the coast?

When you say you have never lived inside the city, how close to Brighton have you lived?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports