Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Brighton ignores St George’s Day

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There's a bloke in Lewes who flies the flag of St Edmund in his garden, England's original patron saint before he was usurped by George. I wonder who'd win in a saint-off?
Ah St Edmund…
The Viking saint…
keep em coming…
IMG_0344.jpeg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The whole 'these days' thing confuses me too.

When were the halcyon days he is wishing to hark back to, I don't remember any St Georges day celebrations at school or beyond, and I spend my late teens and 20s looking for any excuse for a party.

Fwiw, the whole Australia day thing is big over here but also incredibly cringe and tin pot. I enjoyed the post earlier arguing with the Frenchman because if I am honest I feel an arrogant superiority that we don't stoop to such levels.
Yes indeed. Growing up in the 60s and 70s I really don't recall any St George's day celebrations. Well apart from when I was in the Cubs as St George is also the patron saint of the Scout movement. So on the 23rd April we'd , um ..... well actually I can't remember what we did. I think all that happened was that Akela would tell us that St George was the patron saint of the Scout movement (Boy Scout movement as it was then) and also the patron saint of England. Then we probably went and played football.

So there were no celebrations, no parades, no street parties, no bunting, no tuppence off a pint of mild 'n' bitter - and that glorious non-celebration has continued to this day, only now it's seen as a sign of how the English are also oppressed victims unable to celebrate our own culture.

So I shall have a traditional, old-fashioned, proper English St George's day - I shall do bugger all to celebrate it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes indeed. Growing up in the 60s and 70s I really don't recall any St George's day celebrations. Well apart from when I was in the Cubs as St George is also the patron saint of the Scout movement. So on the 23rd April we'd , um ..... well actually I can't remember what we did. I think all that happened was that Akela would tell us that St George was the patron saint of the Scout movement (Boy Scout movement as it was then) and also the patron saint of England. Then we probably went and played football.

So there were no celebrations, no parades, no street parties, no bunting, no tuppence off a pint of mild 'n' bitter - and that glorious non-celebration has continued to this day, only now it's seen as a sign of how the English are also oppressed victims unable to celebrate our own culture.

So I shall have a traditional, old-fashioned, proper English St George's day - I shall do bugger all to celebrate it.
Same here, don’t recall a single year when St George was celebrated. It only seems in recent times folk have even bothered with the St George cross;,it was the Union flag when I was a kid. Starting a celebration now seems a bit false, a plastic show of patriotism. Besides, it’s too close to International Workers Day…I save my energies for this.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Happy birthday William Shakespeare
Maybe we should have a Shakespeare Night, much like the Scots have Burns Night which they seem to enjoy infinitely more than their patron saint day. At least Shakespeare is indisputably English, unlike either of the other nominees. Not sure what his flag would be like, or what special, fun things we'd do to celebrate!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe we should have a Shakespeare Night, much like the Scots have Burns Night which they seem to enjoy infinitely more than their patron saint day. At least Shakespeare is indisputably English, unlike either of the other nominees. Not sure what his flag would be like, or what special, fun things we'd do to celebrate!
All things considered, doing nothing and complaining about the injustice of it all seems the most appropriate thing for today.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Happy St George's Day!

And with just 3 days to go until 26th April, what better way to celebrate than to hit the bar with Morris? (Dancing also available.)
morris2.jpg

Brighton Morris​

We are a Morris Side from Brighton, who dance in the Cotswold tradition – dances from Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and our own from Lewes, East Sussex. (We use hankies, sticks and no face paint). In general we practise in the Winter and dance out in the Summer.

The side welcomes those who feel they fit into a male-presenting space, whether cis male, trans men, non-binary or gender non-conforming.

St George’s Day – First Dance Out of the Season​

Date/Time
Date - 23/04/2024
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm

We meet to dance for St. George’s Day, Shakespeare’s birthday, Shakespeare’s death day and so much more.
We are joined by our lovely friends from Cuckoo’s Nest Morris.

Chimney House

28 Upper Hamilton Road

Brighton

morris.jpg

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Happy St George's Day!

And with just 3 days to go until 26th April, what better way to celebrate than to hit the bar with Morris? (Dancing also available.)
View attachment 181094

Brighton Morris​

We are a Morris Side from Brighton, who dance in the Cotswold tradition – dances from Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and our own from Lewes, East Sussex. (We use hankies, sticks and no face paint). In general we practise in the Winter and dance out in the Summer.

The side welcomes those who feel they fit into a male-presenting space, whether cis male, trans men, non-binary or gender non-conforming.

St George’s Day – First Dance Out of the Season​

Date/Time
Date - 23/04/2024
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm

We meet to dance for St. George’s Day, Shakespeare’s birthday, Shakespeare’s death day and so much more. We are joined by our lovely friends from Cuckoo’s Nest Morris.

Chimney House

28 Upper Hamilton Road

Brighton

View attachment 181092

Whenever I see Morris dancers, I start to wonder whether we'd have been better off if we hadn't won the war.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
'Saint George's Day is the feast day of Saint George, notably England's patron saint, but celebrated also by Christian churches, countries, and regions of which he is the patron saint, including Bulgaria, Ethiopia, Greece, Georgia, Portugal, Romania, Syria, Lebanon, Catalonia, Alcoi, Aragon, and Rio de Janeiro.'

He gets around, does old Georgey boy, doesn't he? :lolol:
A bit of a tart is he not.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Same here, don’t recall a single year when St George was celebrated. It only seems in recent times folk have even bothered with the St George cross;,it was the Union flag when I was a kid. Starting a celebration now seems a bit false, a plastic show of patriotism. Besides, it’s too close to International Workers Day…I save my energies for this.
Why can’t we have an International Non workers day ?
It’s Health and Safety gone mad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why can’t we have an International Non workers day ?
It’s Health and Safety gone mad.
I like the idea of this; celebrate by sitting on the couch watching day time tv.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here