Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just out of interest, will the central pole continue to look as shit as it does at the moment or is there some sort of finish still to be applied. Nowhere near as shiny and futuristic as it looked in the pictures. Plus it casts a bloody huge shadow along the prom when the sun's out but I suppose people will soon get used to that.

It will have subtle lighting up the pole and the pod. Will probably look ok at night and from afar. During the day it will look like a grey pole.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Jack Straw's i360 Watch!

View from the top of Manor Road by race course.

Attachments

• i360 8.8.15 NSC.jpg
    i360 8.8.15 NSC.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 575

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Drove past it yesterday and if the top cans are the finished article I'm very unimpressed. Surely they are going to paint it white or something?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I worked in the UK the company I worked for had a few dealings with Hollandia and they seemed an efficient company getting projects completed on time and budget, so that side of things seems safe enough (although with any 'one off' project there can be problems). I hope it succeeds and becomes a popular tourist destination, but personally I think it will play second fiddle to the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth which I think has a much better design and has a great location for views from its observation desk. But the Spinnaker had problems – it came in over budget and I don’t think they ever got the external scenic lift to work properly, and Portsmouth Council got a lot of flack over its handling of the project. I wonder if they considered building the 360i at the Marina linking it in with the Volks Railway and bringing business to the area? – too far for the tourists I guess.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Jack Straw's i360 Watch!

View from the Pier this evening.

Attachments

• i360 sunset NSC.jpg
    i360 sunset NSC.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 521

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A couple from yesterday morning. You'll need a sideways glance at the second one!

Attachments

• P1100194.JPG
    P1100194.JPG
    974 KB · Views: 358
  • P1100195.JPG
    P1100195.JPG
    810 KB · Views: 351

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
When I worked in the UK the company I worked for had a few dealings with Hollandia and they seemed an efficient company getting projects completed on time and budget, so that side of things seems safe enough (although with any 'one off' project there can be problems). I hope it succeeds and becomes a popular tourist destination, but personally I think it will play second fiddle to the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth which I think has a much better design and has a great location for views from its observation desk. But the Spinnaker had problems – it came in over budget and I don’t think they ever got the external scenic lift to work properly, and Portsmouth Council got a lot of flack over its handling of the project. I wonder if they considered building the 360i at the Marina linking it in with the Volks Railway and bringing business to the area? – too far for the tourists I guess.

The Spinnaker Tower is great, yes. But I think that the i360 is going to be just as iconic. It's so different to anything we have seen before, and will become a World famous landmark.

It's location compared to the Spinnaker - much better in my opinion. Right on the beach, and in Brighton, not Portsmouth.

I think that rather than playing second fiddle, the i360 could damage the visitor numbers to the Spinnaker.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

We can debate the merits of the design and local location of the two towers but the i360 will surely be seen and talked about by far more domestic and foreign tourists. In my mind this alone will swing our tower ahead of Portsmouths.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've never heard anyone talk of the spinnaker. Do people go to Portsmouth so they can go on it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've never heard anyone talk of the spinnaker. Do people go to Portsmouth so they can go on it?
Being equidistant between Brighton and 'there', we occasionally go to Gun Wharf Quay, but have never been to Brighton Marina (which I've always assumed to be a similar chav fueled 'experience').

The tower does come into that as it's mightily impressive and always, weather permitting, worth going to the top.
But then again Portsmouth harbour always has a pooh load of stuff going on.

Brighton it'll be the sea and the downs, hardly the naval dockyards, HMS Victory etc.

hms-victory.jpg

282587640_b804acf0b6.jpg

2415160_c10f1a91.jpg

5.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I really hope there's more work to be done to the outside because that looks pig ugly at the moment - more like a chimney for a powerstation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The tower does come into that as it's mightily impressive and always, weather permitting, worth going to the top.
Always? I've never thought of viewing towers as more than a one time thing.

But then again Portsmouth harbour always has a pooh load of stuff going on.

Brighton it'll be the sea and the downs, hardly the naval dockyards, HMS Victory etc.
Yes, fair point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always? I've never thought of viewing towers as more than a one time thing.

Yes, fair point.

Freaking out the kids by jumping up and down on the glass floored section is always a personal highlight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here