Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Local Plan - Letter from the City Council

Letter from B. & H. council re: local plan

Anyone else had one?

Quote:

Proposed modification of the Brighton and Hove local plan

Following receipt of the inspectors report in Feb. 2004, the city council has considered the recomendations made by the inspector and proposes to make a number of changes to the Brighton & Hove local plan , second deposit draft version, published in 2001. It is now seeking the publics response to the proposed changes to the local plan.

It then goes on to list where copies of the changes are available etc. Also included is a response sheet for myself to the changes, whether I agree or disagree.

Sooooooo.....My question to L.B. is....What should I basically be putting in as a response? I realise it's obviously connected with Falmer being included in the local plan. But as it was so long ago that I originally wrote in support of the changes to the local plan, detail is rusty. Any assist with "helpful wording" would be appreciated......

The City Council are challenging the Local Plan Inspector's conclusions about Policy SR25 Community Stadium.

We should be supporting the City Council on this.

This is the relevant extract from the Director of Environment's Report to the Council:-

Appendix 2: Challenging the Inspector’s recommendations

1.0 Community stadium

1.1 The Local Plan Inspector has recommended the deletion of policy SR25 Community Stadium and recommends that a new employment policy is drafted for the site at Village Way North, based on policy EP7 from the Brighton Borough Local Plan,

1.2 The Inspector considers that, since the site lies in the Sussex Downs AONB, where it is national policy that development should only take place in exceptional circumstances, use of this site for a Community Stadium does not justify a departure from the national protection status accorded to the site. He also considers that the site is too small and that coach parking, limited car parking and assembly areas would have to lie east of the allocated site, beyond the administrative boundary within Lewes District and within the proposed South Downs National Park (SDNP). This concern reflects the planning application boundary, which extends beyond the Local Plan site allocation.

1.3 The Inspector gives little weight to the fact that the site allocated in the Local Plan for the Community Stadium, was identified for employment uses in the adopted Brighton Borough Local Plan and was therefore excluded from the SDNP Designation Order. If (as likely) the boundary of the SDNP is confirmed, as shown on the Designation Order, then the Community Stadium site, as allocated in the Local Plan, would lie outside the National Park and therefore lose its AONB status and protection.

1.4 The Planning Inspector suggests that Sheepcote Valley could provide an alternative site. However that is to give less weight to sustainable transport in identifying a site for the Community Stadium. Sheepcote Valley has no possibility of rail connections; has no public transport links to the wider East Sussex hinterland and is not adjacent to a main trunk road. It is accessed via residential areas. A Community Stadium would have to be located either on a former waste tip where there are known methane gas problems or within an adjacent area where a thorough investigation of the risks from methane gas seepage would be required.

1.5 Sheepcote Valley is in the designated countryside and not allocated for development in any adopted plan and to include a reference to Sheepcote Valley, as a possible stadium site, could run the risk of having a second inquiry. The southern part of Sheepcote Valley comprises the East Brighton Park which is fully occupied by a caravan site, an existing pavilion and a newly approved large clubhouse, as well as the existing sporting activities. Objectors to the SDNP proposed boundary have sought the inclusion of the whole of Sheepcote Valley in the SDNP. As at Village Way North, any development in Sheepcote Valley, would also be adjacent to and visible from, the Designation Order boundary area of the proposed SDNP.

There's more - but I have to go out now. I'll dig around a bit more when I get back.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
There's not a day goes past without the NIMBYs and Lewes DC infuriating me in some way. Thank God at least B&H City Council are on our side.

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
I have sent this message to Supporters' Club members re this letter, and will post the best reponse on here when I have it:

Many of you will have received a letter from Brighton & Hove City Council in the last day or so concerning the Local Plan, and some of you have contacted me to determine the best course of action.

The letter was sent to you because, some years ago - probably as far back as 1998!! - you sent in a letter or form asking for Falmer to be included as the site of the new stadium in the new Local Plan.

As you will know, the Local Plan was examined at a public inquiry concurrently with the stadium applications. And as you will further know, the Local Plan inspector, Charles Hoile, recommended to the city council that the policy relating to the stadium at Falmer (policy SR25) be deleted. This is what gave rise to our major campaign last February which lasted until the Labour Conference in September (and we still have further plans in
the background for the future).

The public inquiry into the planning applications is of course reopening on Wednesday, 2nd February, at Brighton Town Hall to examine other "possible sites", and the outcome of that will influence the Deputy Prime Minister's decision on our stadium plans. But in the meantime the city council has to progress its Local Plan, which covers development in the city for the next decade or so; it cannot be held up because of the impasse over the stadium issue. The council has therefore debated a number of modifications to the Local Plan which, among other things, allow for the outcome of the stadium inquiry at Falmer. If the stadium is approved by the DPM then the Local Plan will allow for it at Falmer; if not, then the Local Plan allows for other sites to be considered.

The city council is right behind the plans for the stadium at Falmer and will be supporting them by opposing the "other sites" at the reopened inquiry. The modifications to the Local Plan are really "technical" to allow for the reopened inquiry without holding up the rest of the process, but the city council needs to consult the public on them.

If you look at the form you received you will notice, at the bottom of page 1, there is a reference number required of the proposed modification you wish to comment upon. The Schedule of Proposed Modifications is not available until 25th January, according to the letter, and you have until 7th March to make your representation.

The best thing to do is, therefore, hang on to your letter and form for the moment. I will take advice on the representations to be made and the reference number, and include the details in the next Supporters' Club Newsletter.

I hope that makes sense. By all means contact me if you need further clarification.

Tim Carder
Chairman, BHA Supporters' Club

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
Brighton & Hove Local Plan (Lord B?)

Help please for an "out of towner"...

Just received a notification of a Proposed Modification of the Brighton & Hove Local Plan seeking a public response to the proposed changes.

It does not state what they are, any suggestions as to what I need to put in the enclosed reponse form.

The "Schedule of proposed Modifications" are available at:

Hove Central Library - City Direct at Bartholomew House, Batholomew Sq. and City Direct at Hove town Hall. I cant get to these places at the mo.

I assume many of you had this re: Falmer ??

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here