Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Council: Money-Grabbing T*ssers

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm afraid there is a simple rule to follow with parking in Brighton & Hove.

Never ever ever expect the council, the wardens or anyone in the parking office to ever give you the benefit of the doubt.
So;
Never overhang a yellow line by an inch
Never overstay in a bay by a single minute
Never make an error completing a visitor permit
Never fail to display your permit or your ticket so the fuckwits can't see it with ease
Never try and reason with these people

The only way to avoid this street robbery, is to tow a caravan and park it on a playing field or other grassed area

Nonsense Nige.

Our car was supposedly parked too far from the kerb (we were quite a distance actually), and got two tickets - 12 hours apart. We protested and they immediately cancelled one of the tickets. We protested some more and they eventually cancelled both.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Nonsense Nige.

Our car was supposedly parked too far from the kerb (we were quite a distance actually), and got two tickets - 12 hours apart. We protested and they immediately cancelled one of the tickets. We protested some more and they eventually cancelled both.

Why was that ,just down to poor parking?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Really not sure what your problem is. If we the driving public are expected to stick to the letter of the rules then it seems reasonable that councils should do so as well. Unfortunately many many ticketing schemes run by councils are flawed because they don't run according to the law. Pepipoo make sure that people who get tickets that do not conform the the law get them cancelled. I'm not sure what there is to object to. If the councils got it right then there would be no way people could get off parking tickets.

It that was the case I would not have a problem , but it's not is it.
The majority of its work is not fighting the injustice but actually getting people off who have park illegally.
The advice I hear most is check the to make sure they have recorded the details correctly, make model, colour, name of road etc,
And if they havn't then the ticket is not enforable.
That's not injustice, thats getting illegal parkers off perfectly good tickets for which they should be responsible for just because the operator has made a minor error in completing the form, and not a valid reason to excuse someone for illegal parking.
I"m sure you will come back and disect the meaning of illegal parking, but you know what I mean, parking when you do not have right to etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The advice I hear most is check the to make sure they have recorded the details correctly, make model, colour, name of road etc,
And if they havn't then the ticket is not enforable.

Which clearly shows you haven't looked at the web site as incorrect details such as those you mention rarely make the ticket invalid.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I have never said I had or have I ever visited the web site, I'm going on the advice I have seen given out on here.

Really? Where? Car make/model/colour is not relevant.

I think you are making it up as you go along cos you don't like people getting off parking tickets even where the Councils cock up the procedures. Somehow, in your world, it seems that if someone makes a parking error they 'deserve' the weight of a fine even if the Council commit much bigger, unlawful/misleading errors.

We will have to agree to disagree I reckon. You wouldn't be so silly as to pay a fake PCN (any private firm parking charge) though would you? You are surely not that much indoctrinated by what you seem to perceive as 'authority'?

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Really? Where? Car make/model/colour is not relevant.

I think you are making it up as you go along cos you don't like people getting off parking tickets even where the Councils cock up the procedures. Somehow, in your world, it seems that if someone makes a parking error they 'deserve' the weight of a fine even if the Council commit much bigger, unlawful/misleading errors.

We will have to agree to disagree I reckon. You wouldn't be so silly as to pay a fake PCN (any private firm parking charge) though would you? You are surely not that much indoctrinated by what you seem to perceive as 'authority'?

To be fair I think it all stemmed from the discussion regarding Brighton railway station where you stated that it if no visible signs and the barrier was up it was not unreasonable to think you could park for free. Even though it was a main line commuter railway station.
Everyone knows you would not be able to park for free at such a place. Your view on this told me you would be prepared to use any method , ie lack of signs to avoid paying.
Its the avoidance thing that's gets me rather than the genius injustice of incorrectly issues tickets.

You also stated cases of a supermarket car park where they have a max stay period where you determined that this was not enforceable so ensured you parked over the owners limit as you knew they could not enforce a penalty on you.
It's the disregard of owners requests/limits type of attitude I dislike rather than people genuinely helping others.
Its the're land you are using so a bit more respect is called for in my opinion rather than " I'm going to park on your property for free because you can't do anything about it" attitude.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To be fair I think it all stemmed from the discussion regarding Brighton railway station where you stated that it if no visible signs and the barrier was up it was not unreasonable to think you could park for free. Even though it was a main line commuter railway station.
Everyone knows you would not be able to park for free at such a place. Your view on this told me you would be prepared to use any method , ie lack of signs to avoid paying.
Its the avoidance thing that's gets me rather than the genius injustice of incorrectly issues tickets.

You also stated cases of a supermarket car park where they have a max stay period where you determined that this was not enforceable so ensured you parked over the owners limit as you knew they could not enforce a penalty on you.
It's the disregard of owners requests/limits type of attitude I dislike rather than people genuinely helping others.
Its the're land you are using so a bit more respect is called for in my opinion rather than " I'm going to park on your property for free because you can't do anything about it" attitude.

I guarantee that nowhere, and I mean nowhere, will you find a post from @LadySeagull , @BensGrandad or myself that suggests you shouldn't pay the initial parking fee or attempt to adhere to the T&Cs of a car park. What we will all say is that only a fool would pay the illegal penalty issued when you do break the T&Cs by accident - i.e. end up shopping for longer and thus giving the shop more money or accidentally having a wheel touch a white line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here