Votes: 34 29.3%
  • NOC- Conservative Largest Group

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Green majority, I can’t see any other outcome in Brighton despite their efforts previously…

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Everyone needs to vote for Tim, he represents the people

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Everyone needs to vote for Tim, he represents the people
Bloody nice chap.

BC76725C-AF6B-446B-8460-807965AB36D8.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the Greens will hoover up a lot more seats at these Locals. Tory voters will stay away and I think the current Labour Party seems to appealing more to those Red Wall seats currently and a lot of Labour voters will vote Green.
With postal voting which is huge now, weeks ahead folk still vote for the party they’re loyal to.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Funny story about the rural Greens. I lived in a village out there and was asked if I wanted to stand as a paper candidate for the district council just to get a name on the ballot paper. There was only one candidate. I didn't go through with it.

A good job too.

I woke up on the Friday to find the one candidate had won one of the seats.

I could just imagine the telephone going at 8am and Mrs Bucket asking me what I was going to do about the pot holes. 'Wrong number, love' 'Oh, I thought this was Councillor Lines....'
Yeah, my Mum always stood as a paper candidate for the Lib Dems in staunch Tory districts in Worthing. She always knew there was absolutely zero chance of being elected, but given the way the wind is blowing in Worthing she's not doing it this time. At 90 she can't take the risk!

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Solid Tory. Lots of cap-doffing working class conservatives here, still living in fear of Harold Wilson and his white heat of technology (which they think will put them all out of the jobs, er, they no longer have). Think of the scythes!

In seriousness, my constituency is Maidstone where that hatchet-faced bat whose name escapes me holds sway. Maidstone. Oh well, never mind.

(We have a very good liberal group here in Faversham who normally win the local council. I tend to vote for them locally).
No - Swale is actually run by a cross party coalition ( Labour, Lib Dem, Independents) brought together to keep the Tories out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well, you southern softies know what to do: mobilize the vote against!

:wink:

Some us have already and he's a little upset. So much he's suggested I've committed libel and I'm harressing him. He even said he was going to report my IP to the police. Though he's between a rock and a hard place with that one as to get my IP he would show he's broken the law. 🤣

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Just as long as :

a. It's not the Greens
b. That idiot Timmy doesn't win a seat in Hangleton and Knoll

Then I don't much care who wins.

No doubt @Falmerfourtickets will now accuse me of libel and harrassment for correctly calling him an idiot. How did you go with reporting my IP to the police Timmy ? Knob jockey 🤣

I am sure people aren’t stupid enough to vote for the Greens.

Labour should get the majority.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It will be a minority administration, neither green or Labour will win a majority. I’m voting green and will in all likelihood return a green councillor

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Isn’t Wealden staunchly Tory?

I know a lot of people through work in the district, ‘working class’ to wealthy business people, apart from 2 LibDems I think, all loyally blue. Even the Remainers.
It was, though things have changed a bit recently. Forest Row is pretty bohemian, based around the Rudolf Steiner school at Michael Hall, and Emerson College, also run by them. It's a hotbed of locally produced organic food among other things, including a couple of bio-dynamic farms, and it has become even more popular with people moving out of London since the COVID pandemic. The Greens first won it about 3 local elections ago, and it's now a stronghold (I think they beat the Tories by 1000 to 400 in 2019, when there were only 2 candidates). Their activity has now spread to surrounding areas (I mentioned Withyham and the 2 by-elections last year).

Hailsham and Uckfield both have pockets of Labour support, though I suspect their supporters will normally vote Lib Dem in general elections (note, though, that Labour have finished second in the Parliamentary seat at the last few elections). The Lib Dems are mostly strong in Polegate and Willingdon, though they do win a few seats elsewhere. Crowborough (apart from Jarvis Brook) and the rural areas are very strongly Conservative, though, and this means they will nearly always win the council. No-one else gets anywhere near in general elections (Polegate is in Lewes for them, and Willingdon in Eastbourne).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was, though things have changed a bit recently. Forest Row is pretty bohemian, based around the Rudolf Steiner school at Michael Hall, and Emerson College, also run by them. It's a hotbed of locally produced organic food among other things, including a couple of bio-dynamic farms, and it has become even more popular with people moving out of London since the COVID pandemic. The Greens first won it about 3 local elections ago, and it's now a stronghold (I think they beat the Tories by 1000 to 400 in 2019, when there were only 2 candidates). Their activity has now spread to surrounding areas (I mentioned Withyham and the 2 by-elections last year).Hailsham and Uckfield both have pockets of Labour support, though I suspect their supporters will normally vote Lib Dem in general elections (note, though, that Labour have finished second in the Parliamentary seat at the last few elections). The Lib Dems are mostly strong in Polegate and Willingdon, though they do win a few seats elsewhere. Crowborough (apart from Jarvis Brook) and the rural areas are very strongly Conservative, though, and this means they will nearly always win the council. No-one else gets anywhere near in general elections (Polegate is in Lewes for them, and Willingdon in Eastbourne).
It’ll be interesting.

I’ve had some lively recent conversations with folk from Jarvis Brook, Crowborough, Ashdown Forest and Crowborough. Including very much non-posh, non-wealthy people. I was surprised at their affection still for Brexit and the loathing of anti-hunting types, to pick two big issues to them. [Not one of them had actually ever been participants in hunting, but they wanted townies from Brighton and Hove for example to keep their over-extended noses out of rural Sussex affairs]. All loyally blue, including ‘working class’ people.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Look around. It's a mess. So, you are blaming others for their inept performance and squandering of money like the ridiculous bike lane schemes?
Maybe if you take a little look at the history of cycle lanes, and who supported it, you may get a better understanding.

Advice- Try not to use The Argus as your only source in doing so.

A small start. Brighton & Hove city plan, which mentions cycling provisions a lot, introduced in 2016- When Labour led the council

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am all of the above
Given that you're a cyclist, I'm surprised that you seem to have a problem with the expansion of dedicated cycling lanes. They are necessary in order to increase cycling across the city which, in turn, is necessary to address the climate and other crises.
I was fortunate to spend five years in the Netherlands during my youth: you have to make provisions in order to build a culture.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How ? They have never had a majority in the council.
Can't be bothered to list everything as I'm on my mobile - might do when I get home, but lets start with giving the local taxpayers a large bill for the i360. I accept a handful of Tories also voted for it but ALL the Greens did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here