Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Bus Drivers To Strike

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Those profits are being eroded year on year by reductions from central government to local authorities to fund concessionary travel and cuts to the Bus Service Operator Grant which allows a percentage rebate on fuel duty.

My heart bleeds for them. There aren't many businesses that get a large chunk of their infrastructure paid for by the taxpayer. I guess at least their multi-million pound profits will get a boost now the fuel price has dropped.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Isn't most of that use by pensioners with free bus passes and kids with free bus passes? I find them too expensive to use!
As do I for in-town travel (although I sometimes do use the short hop up from the Open Market back to Fiveways). But I can't believe all the increase is down to kids and pensioners, surely the council must have had some success in persuading people to use buses instead of cars? (To say nothing of the increase in population).

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
At £4.10 for a day saver (using M-tickets - cash on bus is £4.70) I assume that the senior management of Brighton and Hove Buses are quaffing swans blood from crystal goblets in the staffroom.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As do I for in-town travel (although I sometimes do use the short hop up from the Open Market back to Fiveways). But I can't believe all the increase is down to kids and pensioners, surely the council must have had some success in persuading people to use buses instead of cars? (To say nothing of the increase in population).

Brighton & Hove Buses makes around £6m profit per year.

Edit: In 2013, they made a £7.1m profit on a turnover of £59.3m.

It would be nice for the company to not keep increasing prices - fleecing their customers as they do, especially if fuel prices are stagnant or falling, and salary inflation is low.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brighton & Hove Buses makes around £6m profit per year.

Edit: In 2013, they made a £7.1m profit on a turnover of £59.3m.

It would be nice for the company to not keep increasing prices - fleecing their customers as they do, especially if fuel prices are stagnant or falling, and salary inflation is low.

Indeed. I also moan about privatised rail fares - but at least they're regulated. The licensed bandits who run the buses can charge what they like

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
Bus drivers get £11.50 an hour, greedy *******s. All they do is sit on their arses all day.

No they don't my brother is on the buses at Brighton& Hove, this strike is about a lot more than pay ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The bus company is seeking to find ways to avoid the UNITE trade union going ahead with industrial action on these two dates in respect of a pay offer. The company employs over 1,400 people, the vast majority of whom do not want this industrial action to go ahead. The strike vote was carried among the UNITE members involved when 363 voted in favour of industrial action.

The pay offer is for a 2.3% increase plus an improved Sunday and Bank Holiday premium rate, taking the value of the offer to almost 2.5%, coupled with a minimum of a further 2.5% from June 2015. This offer will, in little over 7 months, be worth 5% or more.

Sounds a fantastic deal to me, speaking as someone who has not had a pay rise for 4 years and is now earning less than I was in 2006.
Only idiots, fools or left wing agitators would vote not to accept this great offer. Oh, unless there are the usual " re-structuring " enforced changes in working practices and changes to the pension scheme tied in to the deal which the company are not publicising.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No they don't my brother is on the buses at Brighton& Hove, this strike is about a lot more than pay ???

I think the £11.50 an hour quote is worked out from doing the best paid duty on the rota and working overtime on your off day which coincides with a bank holiday :lol:

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
A punter in the cab told me today that one of the reasons for action is down to the "new broom" who came in recently to replace Roger French is insisting that the 30 minute break the drivers get after 5 hours work is likely to be shorter if they arrive at the depot late due to the traffic / roadworks problems.
If the strike goes ahead then i hope to benefit from the extra punters wanting a cab.
Every cloud and all that !!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
First the council squeeze motorists off the road onto buses. Then the buses are withdrawn. Great system!!!

Is that all we can look forward to in the future?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here