Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham United *** Official Match Thread ***

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
At will. Far more effective attacks than our fannying around their penalty area.
Pretty easy to be effective and pick a pass when your attackers outnumber the defence. Less so when there are 8 or 9 opponents in the way all the time. That does tend to lead to some ‘fannying around’ looking for a gap. Admittedly there were a couple of occasions where it felt like we should have a got a shot away.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Brighton possession 79%, WHU 21%
Brighton shots total 25, WHU 12
Brighton shots on target 10, WHU 7
Brighton corners 17, WHU 4
Brighton fouls 10, WHU 9

Yet we lost 1-3 !

The bleeding obvious we missed Caceido and MaCallister plus WHU had a game plan and stuck to it while we didn’t appear to have a plan B.

RDZ looked a dejected figure sitting on a cool box and I reflected on his final words of Friday’s press conference where he said something to the effect “I have ambitions I hope TB and PB have the same” reminded me of GP and the “smashing of the glass ceiling “

Today we were not quick enough in transition and the one touch passes knowing where the pass can go before you received the ball to many sideways passing the triangles were not there and we seemed to not be able to try anything different

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That was as professional a mugging as you're likely to see.

90 minutes of peak Duncan Duffy defending from the whole team coupled with clinical counter attacks.

Might have been a different story if we'd not given away the first goal but we did and weren't good enough to do anything about it thereafter.

They were a bloody painful watch but were good value for their win.

Genuinely surprised by that xG number, we seemed to squander good chances

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is what I'm struggling with.
This idea that teams setting up like this won't be the norm.
Why would any manager not at least try and do this given that's now three teams in about the last ten matches that have tried the same trick and come away with an easy three points?

Dyche gave the blueprint. Including always target Brighton’s right, they play a slow midfielder as a RB 70 yards upfield.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The formation when we had the ball based on actual positioning at 0-0 and 0-1, appeared to be:

Mitoma-Welbeck-Ferguson-March-Milner
Estupinan-Gilmour-Gross
Dunk Webster
Verbruggen

A throwback to a century of football prior to Alf Ramsey.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
You can’t dominate a PL match with 78% possession and be awful.

Three of those good saves aren’t made another day and you’d then be saying something completely different. Moyes has come straight out and said similar. Fine margins.

Obviously you never saw some of the Potter games the season before. All huff and puff with no end product.

Believe it or not, the object is to get the ball in the net. Yes possession is nice and some of those stats show us tippy tapping around but how come we have your famous 78% possession and yet half the XG if Wet Sham? Because we didn't do anything with the possession except pass it around and take the odd tame shot.

I'm annoyed as the next fan. Why didn't Webbo tap it out or let it run out for a throw in instead of passing it to Antonio? Or his other defensive errors for the other goals? Or Estupinians comedic scuff out, or Dunks dink straight to the goalie or the many passes that went astray, or, or, or....

None of those mistakes happen when we're firing on all cylinders and playing well. So, I thought we played awful compared to how we have and can play.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
You can’t dominate a PL match with 78% possession and be awful.

Three of those good saves aren’t made another day and you’d then be saying something completely different. Fine margins.
Obviously you never saw some of the Potter games the season before. All huff and puff with no end product.

Believe it or not, the object is to get the ball in the net. Yes possession is nice and some of those stats show us tippy tapping around but how come we have your famous 78% possession and yet half the XG if Wet Sham? Because we didn't do anything with the possession except pass it around and take the odd tame shot.

I'm annoyed as the next fan. Why didn't Webbo tap it out or let it run out for a throw in instead of passing it to Antonio? Or his other defensive errors for the other goals? Or Estupinians comedic scuff out, or Dunks dink straight to the goalie or the many passes that went astray, or, or, or....

None of those mistakes happen when we're firing on all cylinders and playing well. So, I thought we played awful compared to how we have and can play.
Calling the whole performance awful is just lazy. You’re just one of those who can never see past the result.

Of course there were bad errors and we weren’t anywhere near our best, yet we still did plenty enough to have won or drawn the game.

I’ve just watched match of the day and Ariola had a blinder. Maybe you should refresh your memory.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The formation when we had the ball based on actual positioning at 0-0 and 0-1, appeared to be:

Mitoma-Welbeck-Ferguson-March-Milner
Estupinan-Gilmour-Gross
Dunk Webster
Verbruggen

A throwback to a century of football prior to Alf Ramsey.
Just looking at that line up you can see why WH found it so easy to counter us with the freedom of 85% of the pitch. Very little pace to track back, milner especially completely out of the picture. Talk about poetic license!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Calling the whole performance awful is just lazy. You’re just one of those who can never see past the result.

Of course there were bad errors and we weren’t anywhere near our best, yet we still did plenty enough to have won or drawn the game.

I’ve just watched match of the day and Ariola had a blinder. Maybe you should refresh your memory.
Precisely.

Brighton lose, and a load of entitled 'fans' wet their pants.

West Ham played cleverly and exploited our weak area - right back - multiple times. And two excellent front men took their chances.

I'm not sure how well it would have gone down had West Ham played like they did yesterday, at home. Or indeed how well it would have gone down had we played like that. Like Bumley of old.

We played well and I enjoyed our performance. We lost. Never mind. Will will win often.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My take on the game is we need to calm down . It’s ok to go 1-0 down. Top teams don’t panic they keep playing the game probing for an opening.
We were so desperate to score a goal we left holes all over the pitch and as a consequence it was soon 2-0.
To be fair that’s the first time I’ve seen Roberto looking unsure about what to do. He was up and down from his seat like a madman. He should have got the message across you dont have the time to take three touches in the box when there are like 80 players in it. Gross has a shot at long last instead of trying to pass it into the net and hey presto we score.

The other thing our whole game plan seems to reliant on giving the ball to Mitoma and hope he unlocks the door. Again another team leave the right side open and put three on Mitoma, we need a right sided winger who can beat a man and create some damage.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Other teams will try what West Ham did. Some will succeed. Most won’t because a} they’re perfectly set up to play in that predominantly negative way as they also showed last season & against Chelsea and b) we’ll often score first, at which point the whole plan unravels.

Moyes did a job on us. On to the next one.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Other teams will try what West Ham did. Some will succeed. Most won’t because a} they’re perfectly set up to play in that predominantly negative way as they also showed last season & against Chelsea and b) we’ll often score first, at which point the whole plan unravels.

Moyes did a job on us. On to the next one.
Moyes did his only job on us. The same job he’s tried every other time he’s played us. We walked into it aided and abetted by a criminal first goal giveaway; at which point his plan gains momentum.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
It is what it is. With the style of football we play we rely heavily on not making any bloopers when defending.

Webster gifted the first goal. West Ham's game plan looked for speed on the counter to nick a goal.

Even then we started the second very purposefully but on a counter Webster allowed Benrahama time to pick out Bowen. Even so Perv was asleep and shd have cut the ball out.

The third saw Webster allow Antonio freedom to turn him. Their finishing was clinical.

I'd rather allow WHU their day in the sun...it was about time...we go again.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Brighton possession 79%, WHU 21%
Brighton shots total 25, WHU 12
Brighton shots on target 10, WHU 7
Brighton corners 17, WHU 4
Brighton fouls 10, WHU 9

Yet we lost 1-3 !

The bleeding obvious we missed Caceido and MaCallister plus WHU had a game plan and stuck to it while we didn’t appear to have a plan B.

RDZ looked a dejected figure sitting on a cool box and I reflected on his final words of Friday’s press conference where he said something to the effect “I have ambitions I hope TB and PB have the same” reminded me of GP and the “smashing of the glass ceiling “

Today we were not quick enough in transition and the one touch passes knowing where the pass can go before you received the ball to many sideways passing the triangles were not there and we seemed to not be able to try anything different
I think it's significant that with only 21% possession the had 7 shots on target against our 10.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think it's significant that with only 21% possession the had 7 shots on target against our 10.
Yes I agree but with two banks of defenders one of 4 the other of 5 playing 5 to 10 yards apart getting through to take any shots on target was an achievement

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I was delighted WH beat Chelsea but fact is they set up like they did today and should have been 2/3 down before they scored. I have never sen a side set up like they did today with apart from long ball to Antonio had no intention of going forward. They went ahead through a gifted goal followed by another later on. 9 times out of 10 we would have won that game.
West Ham were in a relegation battle most of last season and most supporters moaned how defensive Moyes was with many wanting him out. Still playing the same way and because they have 7 points it is now acceptable and supporters think Moyes is a genius. Just shows to so many it is all about results.
Thankfully I can never see De Zerbi reverting to those tactics

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here