Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tranmere Rovers *** Official Match Thread ***

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Yes and Peterborough and Huddersfield both play on Tues

Looking ahead to Tuesday night, Huddersfield and Posh both have quite a way to travel when they play an improving Brentford and a Sheffield Wednesday side desperate for points respectively - got a good feeling both of them will fail to win.

Last edited:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Looking ahead to Tuesday night, Huddersfield and Posh both have quite a way to travel against when they play an improving Brentford and a Sheffield Wednesday side desperate for points respectively - got a good feeling both of them will fail to win.

I certainly think Brentford will be a test for Huddersfield

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Peterboro are increasingly looking the form horse for 2nd place - Hudds are currently a bit like us, grinding out results while not in the best form, and SCC are very hit and miss. One of either Orient, Bournemouth or MKD is going to be very disappointed to miss the play-offs but whichever of those make it look likely to be the losing semi-finalists anyway (on current form at least)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
page 13/14 of this thread is funny when we get the pen :)

well done the man who predicted the goal was coming as soon as Noone came on

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good important win in a game at home against bottom half opposition. These are the games we'd have slipped up in previous years but was confident as we kept going we'd get one. Been very steady lately keeping lots of clean sheets, 4-3 freak match excluded.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
We looked somewhat pedestrian in the 1st half, playing 4-3-3. Little width, especially on the right, meant a congested area and Tranmere defended resolutely around their 18 yard box without troubling our own goal much.

Second half, the move to 4-4-2 with Noone coming on changed the dynamic. The combination of better balance on either flank and Noone being prepared to run at their defenders created the openings we needed.

Their keeper pulled off 2 or 3 good saves which stopped us opening the scoring sooner.

I counted SEVEN handballs during the game (6 Tranmere and 1 Brighton) that the ref / linesmen ignored before the ref finally blew up to give us the penalty. To be honest, that was one of the marginal ones and could have been viewed as ball to hand from where I was watching. Another poor ref in my opinion - 5 / 10.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The way I saw it, we were playing a 4-1-3-2, with Kish in his usual position in front of the back four, and Bennett, Dicker and Sparrow in the middle. It surprised me a bit the number of longish balls played to the front, with only two forwards. We don't normally play that many long balls when we have three up front, so I don't know what the thinking was there. Perhaps GP was just trying something different to see if it worked, which tbf, it wasn't. The three in midfield seemed to cramp each other a bit, and with Tranmere defending deep, it got a bit congested outside their box. :smile:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Team news:

Adam El Abd should regain his place in Gus Poyet's starting eleven after serving a one match ban. Tommy Elphick is expected to make way. Matt Sparrow will be hoping to retain his place after impressing against Brentford on Tuesday night. Manager Poyet will have to decide whether to go with the successful 4-3-3 formation or play 4-4-2.

For Tranmere Ian Goodison and Marlon Broomes are defensive doubts whilst the match will probably come too soon for Dale Jennings, currently recovering from injury.

The match will be officiated by Steve Rushton.

My prediction?......

2 - 0 to the Albion, goals from Murray and Sparrow.

Nearly in terms of scorers but is this the fourth official thread victory on the bounce for BBBW?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Nearly in terms of scorers but is this the fourth official thread victory on the bounce for BBBW?

Indeed LB I am on a five-timer. Fingers crossed!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Afrer watching Tranmere today would their manager Les Parry win the title of worst manager in the division.

Why? He set out his team quite well, they effectively stifled us for 60 minutes. A soft penalty gave us the lead, which wasn't his fault. If the ref didn't give us that penalty they might have held out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But that had no tactical nous about them. I thought they were awful and all they could do was try to hustle us out of playing. I think he should have stayed as their physio but like us with Hinsh he was a cheap option.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Harsh. They took a well deserved point up there by hustling us. They are playing a team with better players and a better tactician as manager.

We are the second best team in the division after all.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I agree about them trying to hustle us, and of course this meant that they didn't actually create anything. I chuckled when one long ball was headed by El Abd, who outjumped their big CF to get to it :lolol:

Watching most of the oppo this season is a bit like watching BHA pre-GP tbh :smile:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Did El-Abd end up with a boiled egg type bump on his head?

I was reading in the programme that Adam felt he needed to work on various other aspects of his game to make it as a central defender, as he admitted that he is short for the role. He worked very hard on his spring and it certainly worked when he beat Enoch to the ball. Brilliant moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here