Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The team is just not good enough. Midfield needs a complete overhaul as just to slow with any movement to help defence or attack.
Hopefully with Webster back it might shore up the defence a little. As ever we need a striker or two. Maupay just cannot convert the easy chances but scores wonder goals when he doesn't have time to think about it.
GP needs to find a plan for when we go behind rather than just winning the possession stats by going backwards and sideways and passing so slow it give any team ample time to get back and defend if they need to.
It took Spuds 5 or 6 passes to carve through us with pace, us after 20 had barely passed the halfway line

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think one of the biggest challenges for Potter is not having the players available to allow him to change it up.

He clearly liked to be able to move between a 4 and a 5 during games and his substitutions often enabled that.
With no BDB or Webster, it has really stifled his opportunities to vary tactics.

Last night I think it was Biss for Welbeck as the main change,
Wasn't really a Poter type substitution, but felt like the only option.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think the fact it came off his shoulder onto his arm means (under the new rules) that it’s not classed as handball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ah.

as you were then.

I was also interested why the first one wasn't considered.
I appreciate the chap was prone on the floor and couldn't do much about it, but I didn't think that mattered.
Does it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well obviously the coach plays a part, just like all of the eleven guys on the pitch. But its not like the Burnley game where the boys lost hard and heavy against similar level of players... this was a different beast. Best team with best footballers won.

He could start with dropping Mavis March and Really Gross. If you’re bigging up Spurs your more clueless than I thought.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's noticeable without Webster and Lallana that we don;t have any leaders on the pitch. We're a very quiet team and when the going gets tough, we lack confidence and are a bit of a pushover. A dream for the opposition to play against at the moment. I think that's something we really need to address in the summer, we need more personality on the pitch.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yup... and beat Manchester City. Football is exciting; anything can happen. But in most games, the side with Son, Kane and Kulusevski are going to beat the team with Trossard, Maupay and March.

Our football isn’t exciting your man is seeing to that

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
It's noticeable without Webster and Lallana that we don;t have any leaders on the pitch. We're a very quiet team and when the going gets tough, we lack confidence and are a bit of a pushover. A dream for the opposition to play against at the moment. I think that's something we really need to address in the summer, we need more personality on the pitch.

Yes, this is key for me. As soon as we go a goal down now we seem to have all the belief taken out of us. Compare that to earlier this season when we never stopped until the final whistle, and rescued a few draws out of potential lost causes

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It’s amazing how timid Dunk is given his physical size and stature at the club. We definitely need more leaders. And I mean that in the broadest sense- leading by example.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
What is most worrying is usually there is a specific area of the pitch you can point to that we need to work on to get back on track. What is most worrying is we look terrible in every area at the moment and have done since Man United.

Goalkeepers having a mare, the midfield has disappeared and the forward keep not scoring. Some major work to be done between now and Norwich

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s amazing how timid Dunk is given his physical size and stature at the club. We definitely need more leaders. And I mean that in the broadest sense- leading by example.

Not sure that interview the other week has helped 'I'm not the biggest speaker, so as a captain I try and lead by example on the pitch' - based on the last 6 games not sure that is the kind of example we need

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Report in The Guardian sums it up pretty well:

A dirty half dozen of consecutive defeats for Brighton means their season has petered out. Their owner, Tony Bloom, spent the afternoon watching his horse Energumene triumph in the Queen Mother Champion Chase at the Cheltenham Festival, before being chauffeured the near 150 miles back to the Amex. A hasty return journey cannot be ruled out.

Their problem is that bubble-wrapped safety-scissors have more cutting edge than their frontline recently. Neil Maupay is on a cold streak, only able to draw blood literally by leaving Eric Dier to play 85 minutes a la Terry Butcher. It was nothing vicious.The closest man to beating Hugo Lloris was one of his teammates, Bentancur with an odd attempted first-half clearance from 30-yards that floated just over. Plenty of huff and puff, but no shots on target and just one goal in six.

There will be no amateur over-dramatics from Brighton supporters. They appreciate how far they have come in a short space of time. Yet football fans crave entertainment, and the large handful of empty blue seats around the Amex had multiplied rapidly well before the close. There are, after all, cheaper ways to be entertained than 10 goals in 15 home league games. “We need to use the pain we’re suffering at the moment to try and get that next win,” said Graham Potter.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Report in The Guardian sums it up pretty well:

A dirty half dozen of consecutive defeats for Brighton means their season has petered out. Their owner, Tony Bloom, spent the afternoon watching his horse Energumene triumph in the Queen Mother Champion Chase at the Cheltenham Festival, before being chauffeured the near 150 miles back to the Amex. A hasty return journey cannot be ruled out.

Their problem is that bubble-wrapped safety-scissors have more cutting edge than their frontline recently. Neil Maupay is on a cold streak, only able to draw blood literally by leaving Eric Dier to play 85 minutes a la Terry Butcher. It was nothing vicious.The closest man to beating Hugo Lloris was one of his teammates, Bentancur with an odd attempted first-half clearance from 30-yards that floated just over. Plenty of huff and puff, but no shots on target and just one goal in six.

There will be no amateur over-dramatics from Brighton supporters. They appreciate how far they have come in a short space of time. Yet football fans crave entertainment, and the large handful of empty blue seats around the Amex had multiplied rapidly well before the close. There are, after all, cheaper ways to be entertained than 10 goals in 15 home league games. “We need to use the pain we’re suffering at the moment to try and get that next win,” said Graham Potter.

He clearly doesn’t read NSC..

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well obviously the coach plays a part, just like all of the eleven guys on the pitch. But its not like the Burnley game where the boys lost hard and heavy against similar level of players... this was a different beast. Best team with best footballers won.

:lol: it’s funny because there’s some people on here who think you’ve got some hero level of football understanding.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yet to a man I thought the team were a notch or two better than Saturday.

Agreed …up until that second goal we were clearly in it….up until their ‘deflected’ first goal there were significant murmurings of discontent in the opposition support ….fed up with the ball being passed around and not getting very far ..now where have I heard that before

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
We are where we can expect to be. Mid table with no chance of making Euro competition and very little chance of relegation. Out of the cups and very little to look forward to except gradual improvement. We are a bit like the old Charlton Athletic under Curbishley so be careful what you wish for IMO.
This is life in the Premier League so get used to it. I sometimes think that teams like Norwich have got it right. One season winning loads and getting promotion followed by the realities of life at the top table. Getting battered every week in the Prem and relegation the following season at least brings its own excitement.
Think I’ll settle for what we have rather than go back to the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here