Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I mean its a team sport, they win and lose together. The wins against Spurs and Arsenal were team efforts, the draws and losses at home are team efforts. Its not as simple as "the manager decides if you win or lose".

Unfortunately GP is in charge, he has shown that he can win away but his home record is getting worse year on year. There is a fundamental problem and his job is to work that out. The Amex crowd have been extremely patient with him as many haven’t seen a win since Leicester in September (Brentford being almost impossible to get home from). At many clubs the atmosphere would be a lot worse and more toxic at home.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The proverbial game of 2 halves.

Possession 49% v 51%
Shots on target 5 each
Corners 6 each

So the stats would indicate a fair result overall, but we still can't win at the Amex.

At least it was 2-2 and not 0-0 for those attending.

And a decent game of football in the sun.

Things could be worse.

The first half stats were very similar too, to my surprise.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Draw was just about the right result. First half was a 10-8 in our favour, second half a 10-8 in theirs.

Onwards and upwards.

And the ref today (and his linesmen) were absolutely dire. I don't think I've ever seen Potter angry like that at the officials, which says a lot.

hope he says something in his press conference because the officials were not good.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Some very strange decisions have to say - stopped play for offside when we were breaking, a good number of fouls given against Brighton that weren't or were weak when similar Southampton ones were play just allowed to play on.

I don't think Southampton were a bad side , their passing was pretty good and they looked faster and fitter, by no means a rubbish team.

Some bad defending mainly because the midfield was weak.

I like March but his inability to take responsibility for passing and shooting is beyond me. Cucurella put in a fantastic ball and really don't know how he failed to connect.

Solly March is one that really needs to be shipped out now if we are to progress. Never seems to take players on and always looking for the safe pass backwards rather than attempt to put the ball into the box. Never scores either anymore, just don't get him

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Another point in the bag,good game to watch,draw was a fair result i thought,what's important is we will be playing EPL football again next season,this is number 1 priority, everything else after that is a bonus.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Decent first half (bar the howler from Sanchez) but awful in the second half.
A draw probably a fair result in the grand scheme of things but throwing away a 2 goal lead is not good at all.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Ward-Prowse ultimately the difference between an Albion win and a draw. He showed why he is an England international today....

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Unforgivable not to match their intensity early on in the second half and lapse of discipline either side of half time has cost us 3 points today.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Decent first half (bar the howler from Sanchez) but awful in the second half.
A draw probably a fair result in the grand scheme of things but throwing away a 2 goal lead is not good at all.

I think he was at fault, but howler is a bit harsh. Understandable in the moment with the old adrenaline pumping though. His positioning was wrong, it was a technical fault rather than an egregious individual error.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Shocking response to a 2-0 lead (given the fact that the second was an OG). It really pisses me off how we seem to switch off, all of a sudden, and become the team that's chasing the game.
We were pretty much in control, until a few mins before they scored the first, and it was bloody predictable that we'd come out struggling. second half.
It truly is the damn hope that kills you.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think he was at fault, but howler is a bit harsh. Understandable in the moment with the old adrenaline pumping though. His positioning was wrong, it was a technical fault rather than an egregious individual error.

But surely you must realise it's only acceptable to talk about any errors he makes? Saves he makes (and according to Radio Sussex he made at leasr one very good one today) don't count.
It's so desperately important that some even re-opened the 'Can we talk about Sanchez?' thread - that's how desperate it's got!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter discovered a winning formula at Arse and Spuds.

Close all defensive weaknesses, flood the midfield, play no strikers.

So, today, instead playing 2 very indifferent out and out strikers.

Giving Stains complete control of midfield, also leaving Veltman and especially Cucurella vulnerable to wide players. Sometimes they were completely unmarked when receiving the ball 25 yards from the nearest Albion player.

8 attempts compared to 18.

Too clever by half, I think that’s a big misjudgement.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Fair. To call it a howler may be a little harsh, but he set up the wall to cover one side of the goal and then seemed surprised to see the shot coming towards the other side and still failed to save it as he dived in slow motion. Poor keeping imo.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Potter discovered a winning formula at Arse and Spuds.

Close all defensive weaknesses, flood the midfield, play no strikers.

So, today, instead playing 2 very indifferent out and out strikers.

Giving Stains complete control of midfield, also leaving Veltman and especially Cucurella vulnerable to wide players. Sometimes they were completely unmarked when receiving the ball 25 yards from the nearest Albion player.

8 attempts compared to 18.

Too clever by half, I think that’s a big misjudgement.

Completely agree, our midfield was a man down and we're carrying an extra duff striker

Woeful management.

Webster and Dunk were poor, Maupay a waste of a shirt. . . . Very strange substitutions, a point is a fair result but it really should have been game over at half time. Instead we threw it away.

So nice to see Gross score, haven't seen a replay but they took their time with VAR so must have been close.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't feel like we controlled either half. Felt like we played like the away team pretty much from the moment we got the fortunate first goal - sitting back and defending, hoping for something on the break. Some of our counter attacks were great, but not sure any really looked like resulting in a goal, and it took another defensive error to extend the lead. Sitting back predictably led to a free-kick which we all knew Ward-Prowse would score. Second half we continued to sit back. Then looked to March and Gross to turn the game around., I don't know that they've ever really turned a game around. Shore up midfield, fresh legs in a working approach, they're good options. Taking the game by the scruff of the neck and turning it in our favour is not something I remember them ever doing. Though looking at our bench I'm not sure any of them were game changers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here