Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield Wednesday *** Official Match Thread ***

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm a bit puzzled why certain BHA fans think that a draw at Preston is a poor result. We need to average 2 points a game and since the end of ' the blip ' we have taken 20 points from 9 games. In my book, a win at Preston would have been a bonus. We need to win five of our remaining six home games and two of five away. In effect, seven wins, two draws and two defeats and that will be pretty close to an automatic spot.

Pretty close but not there. 8 wins and 2 draws will do it.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
3-0 Albion

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
86/87 wont be enough this season. We need 8 wins and 2 draws from the last 11.

Well, we'll have to disagree then as I'd be very surprised if the team who finishes second gets more than 87 points.
Further more: given the implausibility of finishing 8-2-1, I'd suggest that we are actually out of the running for automatic on that basis.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, we'll have to disagree then as I'd be very surprised if the team who finishes second gets more than 87 points.
If we get 7 wins and 2 draws, finishing on 87 points, I think we'll miss out. Burnley and Hull are both averaging enough points to beat that, and 'boro are 3 points ahead of us with a game in hand.

I think it's too big an ask for us.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've seen you write this three or four times now and it's utter ****.
We don't need to win the next three to 'stay on track' for the top 2. Neither is Burnley a 'must-win'.
We need 86/87 points. It matters not when and how we get them.

Oh and a draw at Preston was fine by any reasonable adjudication.

At least someone is speaking sense about points totals. NSC's collective wisdom seems to think clubs will need c95 points for automatics. I'd be surprised if the team finishing third has many more than that number you indicate ergo that'll be enough for automatics.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At least someone is speaking sense about points totals. NSC's collective wisdom seems to think clubs will need c95 points for automatics. I'd be surprised if the team finishing third has many more than that number you indicate ergo that'll be enough for automatics.
I'm willing to bet that if we get 87 points, it won't be enough. Wanna bet?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Nobody has said 95. Some people are thinking 89 to 90, maybe 88.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm willing to bet that if we get 87 points, it won't be enough. Wanna bet?

Already got one with [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] -- he got in quick at the beginning of the season, and if I lose it's OK, he's going to open up six bottles from his cellar to share with me (and you if you're that way inclined).
As a mathematician, you could have worded things better than that too: would 'the second placed team will get 88 or more points' do?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Pretty gutted to be honest.

Bought 3 tickets for tonight in WSU and was bringing a friend who has only recently moved to this area and he was really looking forward to his first visit to the Amex.

We all 3 have the dreaded lurgy and feel so :shit: that we won't be able to make it. Damned annoyed:angry::tantrum:

Likewise, and I think I've seen others post this today also, I'd bought a ticket last week and am now feeling utter shite so probably can't make it. Going to take every medicine under the sun to see if I can hold out for a few hours but it might not be worth it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nobody has said 95. Some people are thinking 89 to 90, maybe 88.

I'll keep the poster's name who posted this to myself:

I have us finishing 5th.

Hard to predict Hull dropping many points. Battle for 2nd and 3rd will be tight. I also had Derby to finish 4th, but did (hopefully) over score the other teams.

projected total
Hull 103
Burnley 95
Boro 95
Derby 83
BHA 82
Weds 80

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I've seen you write this three or four times now and it's utter ****.
We don't need to win the next three to 'stay on track' for the top 2. Neither is Burnley a 'must-win'.
We need 86/87 points. It matters not when and how we get them.

Oh and a draw at Preston was fine by any reasonable adjudication.

It's amazing how people are responding to this season. Pre-season, doom and gloom.

Now, an away draw to a team that was in relatively good form and could sneak into the 7/8th place this season is not good enough.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
91 or 92 for promotion as far as I'm concerned, 90 as a lucky outrider.

We really need a win tonight.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Already got one with @Goldstone1976 -- he got in quick at the beginning of the season, and if I lose it's OK, he's going to open up six bottles from his cellar to share with me (and you if you're that way inclined).
If we get promoted, yes please. If not, I think I'll be too miserable to share anyone's company.
As a mathematician, you could have worded things better than that too
I'm not a mathematician :(
: would 'the second placed team will get 88 or more points' do?
I was going for 87 or more, since we can't (realistically) beat them on GD.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Curbishley does not think we will a catch the three leaders. http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/03/0...cts-who-will-be-promoted-from-the-champions/?

He thinks they are better teams. He's right, its a chase and as serious contendors we have got to win this one. I will be disappointed if Lualua is not in the squad as I think he could score against a good defence if it gets difficult. His ability to shoot with both feet gives him the edge in skill.

Predict 2-1 Shots 14-8 ON target 6-5. Very close. Shots from within penalty area 10-3 the difference. Stephens to score and Murphy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Radio 5 are helpfully advertising airing the Sheffield Wednesday vs Brighton game tonight. It's not in Sheffield for Christ's sake! I know they are massive and I'm surprised they're not just advertising 'the Sheffield Wednesday' match tonight.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's amazing how people are responding to this season. Pre-season, doom and gloom.

Now, an away draw to a team that was in relatively good form and could sneak into the 7/8th place this season is not good enough.
Taken in isolation, a draw against Preston was perfectly respectable. It's only in the context of dreaming of a top two finish that some of us think it wasn't good enough. We shouldn't expect to finish second, but after our season it's understandable that we dream of it, and the dream got harder on Saturday. That's all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here