Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

Safe to say the Geordies are pretty negative on tonight and relentlessly bashing Bruce (“Greggs on legs” one of them calls him [emoji23]).

C.b.a to format this, but here’s a selection of Newcastle comments, note our reputation is growing as there’s acknowledgement of our manager and the way we play football.

Bruce needed sacking after the Sheffield United game for playing 5 at the back against the worst side in premier league history. He's a clueless coward and is taking us down.

3-0 Brighton I reckon.

————————————

Newcastle are 11/2 against another relegation rival even the bookies are not giving us a hope Brighton have had 70 odd shots at goal in three games i can see nothing more than a big loss here

————————————-

Potter seems confident, with Brighton's style of actually playing football with players in their correct positions and formation and if they find their shooting boots they will murder us.

————————————-

We'll play for 0-0, we'll get a 2-0 loss.

—————————————

This will be the game that makes Brighton safe and makes it us vs Fulham for relegation.

2-0.

—————————————-

Think it'll be a draw tbh, 0-0 or 1-1.* Another moral victory for Greggs On Legs as we have 3 injuries.

——————————————

I reckon we're going to get battered, also think we'll be relegated 2 or 3 games before the end of the season.

Bruce factor.

——————————————

It takes a lot to depress me but wishing we played as good a football as Brighton.....well ffs.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Nearly every win we get, is when we have less possession than the opposition. When we counter attack and forward players have less time to think on the ball. Newcastle will know this, sit fairly deep and aim to frustrate us with two banks of four. This is when we struggle as a side. Our tempo slows and there is a lot of passing in front of the opposition. Our final ball is never that good, so we end up playing the numbers game. Trying to bombard the opposition into submission but all PL teams are well drilled and we get repelled quite easily.
We will have more possession tonight and Newcastle will look to soak it up. That is a given. We need to take the lead and let them try and force the pace. It could be a very tense affair and a draw is favourite, particularly as its a ' must not lose ' for both teams.

I think it's something like 8 of our last 9 wins have come from games where we've had the minority of possession, the one exception being... Newcastle.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We rarely rise to the occasion in these relegation nailbiters so not expecting too much. Hopefully, a good performance and result tonight but a draw wouldn't be the end of the world.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why, when this is the only PL game today, is it such a late kick off? It also clashes with Wales vs France rugby which is fecking annoying

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes the hardest working striker in the business will start and as usual have a good game.

Much maligned player, OK he’s not scoring but his constant niggling and chasing down everything makes space for others to feck up easy chances, and yet Maupay gets slagged off more than those that miss sitters. Go figure.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Much maligned player, OK he’s not scoring but his constant niggling and chasing down everything makes space for others to feck up easy chances, and yet Maupay gets slagged off more than those that miss sitters. Go figure.

Because he's been playing like CMS without the lovely hair. He has been poor in and around the box (ask his wife!).

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Maupay stuck home his 'offside' goal well enough, not sure that his confidence has gone, just he needs better chances.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Taking Maupay off, and putting on Welbeck against Leicester cost us the game. No one putting their defence under any pressure after he went off, they were able to build from the back at will.I thought that was the main thing Potter got wrong in that game, but, he appeared to have learnt the lesson against Southampton.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
A crucial, must win game if we have any ambition of staying up this season. A repeat of last weekend, please. My only concern is our home form is diabolical

Not according to Adam Lallana -

"We're not building the game up because there are still nine more to go after this weekend. It's a big one against Newcastle but we're not playing with the pressure of it being a 'must win', because when you play like that it's difficult to perform".

There's an awfully lot of football to be played, even after this one.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why, when this is the only PL game today, is it such a late kick off? It also clashes with Wales vs France rugby which is fecking annoying

Only if you're Welsh, French or a fan of watching public school boys sticking their heads up other men's bottoms.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes the hardest working striker in the business will start and as usual have a good game.

I'm reminded of your Gross comment on the pick Potter's pick thing. If Maupay is fit he's my third name down on that after Sanchez and Dunk (also if fit).

His work rate is crucial to the chances we create. Anyone who doesn't see that presumably spends the game ball watching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here