Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Middlesbrough ***** Official Match Thread *****

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I think it's all going to come down to the last day, and Barnsley. Does anyone know what happens when you play the theme from The Great Escape backwards?

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
My punt was 2-1 on the basis that we are at home, in pretty good form, have key players fit and are playing a team that have the capability to score but are playing away. Not very scientific I know but it's just part of the fun of being a football fan.

I was wondering if you actually bother attending games as surely it's a waste of time paying to watch 90 mins of indeterminable, unforeseeable and essentially random actions when you could just watch Final Score at 4:50.

Can you prove the outcome isn't the result of chance then? Publish your research in a peer-reviewed academic journal and claim your Nobel prize, if you can.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I think it's all going to come down to the last day, and Barnsley. Does anyone know what happens when you play the theme from The Great Escape backwards?

As long as it has nothing in relation with playing stairways to heaven backwards. Then i'm happy.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
even bloody Watford looks a tough game now!

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011

I shall remind you of that response a year from now when we're 6 points adrift of Southampton at the bottom of the Premiership, having been relegated 3 weeks before. Feel free to do the same to me with this response, when we're challenging for a place in Europe next year.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I shall remind you of that response a year from now when we're 6 points adrift of Southampton at the bottom of the Premiership, having been relegated 3 weeks before. Feel free to do the same to me with this response, when we're challenging for a place in Europe next year.

Hooray for optimism! Swansea and Norwich sure are struggling down there in the bottom 3... Hold on.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

Thing is, even if we were in that position, we'd still be in a better position than we currently are, with more money from parachute payments and a year in the Premiership behind us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
even bloody Watford looks a tough game now!

Yes - we are all aware of how massive the Reading, West Ham and Brum games are..but isn't there always supposed to be a late runner who comes from nowhere and gatecrashes the play-offs? Watford for that, any one?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yes - we are all aware of how massive the Reading, West Ham and Brum games are..but isn't there always supposed to be a late runner who comes from nowhere and gatecrashes the play-offs? Watford for that, any one?

Last year Forest did it by winning five out of the last seven games. Leicester have even blown this. Cardiff could do this.

I think we thought the north-east challenge from Boro was going to be a problem: Will Middlesbrough park the bus?

BBC SPORT | Football | Championship | Predictor

Packing the midfield causes problems.

Last edited:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

page bookmarked :thumbsup: :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Congratulations to [MENTION=3779]seagullsovergrimsby[/MENTION] who helped himself to 54 posts in this thread, so far. [MENTION=12225]MacKenzie[/MENTION] sits second, with exactly half, 27 posts.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Can you prove the outcome isn't the result of chance then? Publish your research in a peer-reviewed academic journal and claim your Nobel prize, if you can.

If by "chance" you mean, to quote the OED, "a possibility of something happening" then that is what my very unscientific guess was.

If you mean, to quote the OED again, "the occurrence of events in the absence of any obvious intention or cause" then I would argue that that a football game is not absent of any obvious intent or cause. After all, the ball is not moving without any cause - it will have been kicked, punched, headed etc. etc. Of course the detail of who will affect the motion of the ball, how and when is completely indeterminable and that is exactly what I said in my original post.

With that in mind I would agree that to try and predict the outcome of a game with absolute certainty is impossible. You and I both know however that all that is really happening is pure speculation and no one takes it seriously (unless they are betting on it of course). It's just a shame that you seek to mock what fans have done for generations and will continue to do with some pseudo intellectualism hardly worthy of a spotty 6th former.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If by "chance" you mean, to quote the OED, "a possibility of something happening" then that is what my very unscientific guess was.

If you mean, to quote the OED again, "the occurrence of events in the absence of any obvious intention or cause" then I would argue that that a football game is not absent of any obvious intent or cause. After all, the ball is not moving without any cause - it will have been kicked, punched, headed etc. etc. Of course the detail of who will affect the motion of the ball, how and when is completely indeterminable and that is exactly what I said in my original post.

With that in mind I would agree that to try and predict the outcome of a game with absolute certainty is impossible. You and I both know however that all that is really happening is pure speculation and no one takes it seriously (unless they are betting on it of course). It's just a shame that you seek to mock what fans have done for generations and will continue to do with some pseudo intellectualism hardly worthy of a spotty 6th former.

It was a banker certain 1-1 draw and lots of us predicted the result. Not me. BHA v Middlesbrough - Score Predictor 18% approx. Is that a record?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here