Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agree. All very well ‘dominating‘ games, playing ‘brilliantly’, being ‘proud’ (of losing) but if we don’t transform into goals and points, cut out the silly mistakes, then, just as people were applauding this time last year, we’ll be sucked into relegation fight. And all the pressures and mistakes that brings. Let’s hope not. Equally let’s not forget we’ve lost our opening two home games, conceding 6 goals. You’d think it was the other way round reading some posts. Sometimes, gotta just win ugly rather than lose prettily.

I agree to a point, but we really shouldn't be needing to win ugly this season. And shouldn't put ourselves in a position to have to do that come the back end of the season. Playing pretty, exciting football yesterday we shouldve been 3 up by half time. Same v Chelsea. Take chances, that's all we need to do, like last week v Newcastle. Even then we could and should have won by more though!

It is fantastic not to be stinking the league out in terms of our style of football anymore, though. We certainly seem to have more of a cutting edge than last season where we struggled more in and around the box. This season so far it's been missing gilt edged chances

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You’re so keen to point out all our failings but don’t forget we haven’t lost away this year. I know we’re likely to lose at Goodson next week but try balancing your opinion about the team, and manager.

Made that point elsewhere. Keen to offer balance rather than victim mentality, and context such as West Brom drawing against Chelsea and Palace beating Utd (at OT, again) not basking in another glorious defeat. Let’s win ugly and get points on the board.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree to a point, but we really shouldn't be needing to win ugly this season. And shouldn't put ourselves in a position to have to do that come the back end of the season. Playing pretty, exciting football yesterday we shouldve been 3 up by half time. Same v Chelsea. Take chances, that's all we need to do, like last week v Newcastle. Even then we could and should have won by more though!

It is fantastic not to be stinking the league out in terms of our style of football anymore, though. We certainly seem to have more of a cutting edge than last season where we struggled more in and around the box. This season so far it's been missing gilt edged chances

Problem is, we don’t. All the should, coulds and if’s that repeatedly get trotted out every week on NSC. You’re talking about stinking the place out and still losing. I’d like us to stink the place out and win occasionally sos to speak! It’s called game management. We’re not very good at it and must improve. Especially, as evidence suggests, we don’t yet have the players to regularly finish teams off, hold a lead etc. Here’s hoping though

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Problem is, we don’t. All the should, coulds and if’s that repeatedly get trotted out every week on NSC. You’re talking about stinking the place out and still losing. I’d like us to stink the place out and win occasionally sos to speak! It’s called game management. We’re not very good at it and must improve. Especially, as evidence suggests, we don’t yet have the players to regularly finish teams off, hold a lead etc. Here’s hoping though

But we weren't winning much when stinking the division out either.

Seems flawed logic to think that we'd suddenly play ugly and win under Potter. We'd create far fewer chances, meaning we'd score fewer goals? May concede fewer too, but I'm not so sure. We've generally defended well this season, and conceded fewer goals last season than under Hughton. Goals we have conceded have often been switching off or not being clever enough straight after scoring

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Many commentators said we were stinking the place out under Hughton getting ugly points.
We improved our points tally last season with Potter, so I’m happy enough to go with that.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But we weren't winning much when stinking the division out either.

Seems flawed logic to think that we'd suddenly play ugly and win under Potter. We'd create far fewer chances, meaning we'd score even fewer goals? May concede fewer too, but I'm not so sure. We've generally defended well this season, and conceded fewer goals last season than under Hughton.

That’s my point. Still the same result. I’d like a few more win uglies, if that’s what it takes, to get points on the board I’m games like yesterday. Save the pretty stuff for Newcastle’s of this world.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Many commentators said we were stinking the place out under Hughton getting ugly points.
We improved our points tally last season with Potter, so I’m happy enough to go with that.

Ugly wins. Against Chelsea’s and Utds. Stop bleating. Start listening.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That’s my point. Still the same result. I’d like a few more win uglies, if that’s what it takes, to get points on the board I’m games like yesterday. Save the pretty stuff for Newcastle’s of this world.

Changing the mentality of the players to revert to Hughtonball for some games when he has coached the team to play out from the back just complicates and confuses things. Care to name a team who can play both ways and change from game to game?

It’s not just a tweak of tactics it’s two diametrically opposite ways to play

Have we even got the players to successfully play Hughtonball anymore? You need Duffys, Stephens’, Murrays’ and Mooys

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Changing the mentality of the players to revert to Hughtonball for some games when he has coached the team to play out from the back just complicates and confuses things. Care to name a team who can play both ways and change from game to game?

It’s not just a tweak of tactics it’s two diametrically opposite ways to play

Have we even got the players to successfully play Hughtonball anymore?

It doesn’t have to be wholesale changes, for 90 minutes either, answer most likely lies in game management. But we live in such binary times so guess I’m alone on this one...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It doesn’t have to be wholesale changes, for 90 minutes either, answer most likely lies in game management. But we live in such binary times so guess I’m alone on this one...

So now you want us to play Potterball and Hughtonball in the same game? Wow

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My opinion is bleating and I should listen to you?
:lolol:

Right oh.

Come off it, you do bleat and blather on every comment. Predictably. Like a shark to chum, you turn up without fail whatever whenever. :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

God, another person who uses ‘wow’ in a debate. Wow off then.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Just when you think things can’t get any worse Leeds score against Sheffield United

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
God, another person who uses ‘wow’ in a debate. Wow off then.

No more than your ridiculous suggestion of how we should play deserves. Clueless along with your suggestion that bottom of the table United’s under 23s are so much better than ours

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No more than your ridiculous suggestion of how we should play deserves. Clueless along with your suggestion that bottom of the table United’s under 23s are so much better than ours

Reserves, youth, B side, cup side, second fiddle... it’s a ubiquitous term for who they’ll put on next week to play our equivalent. Theirs is superior to ours (On paper) unless you really believe that’s not the case in which case fair enough. We shall see.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

i did think when Hughton left that it would have been great if we could have to coaches , him to organise the defence and another (potter) to organise the attack. Impractical i know especially with wingbacks but it does highlight our issues. But if i had to chose one style then potterball is at least entertaining and if we get lucky and more importantly honest reffing decisions then it will deliver more.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Maybe the compromise is to play ugly for first half of the season , get 30 points on the board then try to get 10 from playing nicely for rest of season.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No you’re right, I think we could be a little more pragmatic. If we’re vulnerable after scoring perhaps we need to foul and time waste for 5 minutes or so after a goal to try and settle down. Same thing when we’re playing out time at the end of a game. There is a place for winning ‘dirty’ if required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here