[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When one of the top teams are on that sort of form you need some luck.

The linesman missing the ball going out and VAR missing the offside was the only luck going, and it wasn't coming our way.

1st Half, strange selection, obviously trying something different (no idea what ?), but were always going to struggle against a United team who were excellent. 2nd half, much, much better, but absolutely killed by superb counter attack.

Well played Manure, bring on Norwich.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Utterly embarrassing display, corners shite, passing shite, determination lacklustre.....

Let’s hope they are saving themselves for Saturday.

Let’s hope results go our way again.

Not embarrassing

We do need to improve our corners

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

And time to switch off before the Man U wankfest begins.

Lol, none of those Man U fans on the Zoom screen are in Manchester I bet.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The team selection stunk of a half arsed saving our selves for Norwich to be quite honest. Might as well have gone the whole hog and dropped Dunk as well save him from getting banned. Lamptey at right wing after his performance in the last game?

United are in good form and we handed it to them on a plate despite being in confident good form ourselves, that’s what irks me but hey ho, big game Saturday now.

Mar 25, 2010
Cumbernauld
I’m sorry but most of us would have had us down for a loss today. Utd were class tonight. Yes, we could have been better at defending the first two goals but the third was sublime. We always needed to win against Norwich and pick up points in the last three games. Things haven’t changed. I can’t understand all the negativity. A 95th min winner against Arsenal after being poor for most of the game changed the mood on the board but things are the same. We need to target the games we are likely to get points from. This wasn’t Utd, City or the Scousers.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
But that's the point they don't. Liverpool and City have players who perform consistently.

City need a centre back (Kompany still not properly replaced) and replacements for Sane (assuming he goes to Bayern) and Silva. Prob need a right back and a goalscorer too/

If they lose their appeal, it will be tough for them to attract absolutely top class players.

Good chance their standard slips a bit next season.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
A bit deflating tonight, most likely due to the third goal effectively killing the contest. I look forward to that nervous tension when watching Albion, and sadly that was diffused pretty quickly this evening.

I can see the logic to GP's tactics: play a high press with quick players like Lamptey (at RM) and Connolly to pin United back, with driving runs from Yves and Davy. Then second half when we start to tire bring Mooy, Trossard, Maupay etc on. However, after the first ten minutes our tempo dropped and United were utterly ruthless and shot our tactics to pieces.

Onwards and upwards. Trossard again proved how much better he is as a second-half sub. I really think MacAllister is a gem. The balls he plays are weighted and timed to perfection. I think he's the kind of player that isn't going to go and win the ball himself, but if we can get the ball to him in a bit of space, he'll do very good things with it. I hope GP settles on a position for him in the team.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Trossard looked good when he came on

Our problem, for different reason than under CH is still the same.. .. playing a system that the manager thinks will compete with or beat the opposition that utilises the strengths of our players.

THere were glimpses of hope in the second half, if one of those chances went in, who knows.

I don't think we were that bad, I saw much worse last season, but we were totally outclassed.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We were set up completely wrong and failed to hunt the ball in the first half. Not helped by dodgy officiating from ref, lino & VAR for the second goal and hit by a sucker punch that killed the game. Better that we went on to make some chances and if we could trade some misplaced attacking passes and missed close chances not going our way in this game for something dropping for us on Saturday, we would do. Anything from this would have been a bonus and with the system wrong, the tempo missing and the crowd not there to try to keep the officials honest against the top six, we weren't going to get it. We move on.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's how wound up it's got me, I can't even raise a snigger or an eyebrow

Don’t worry sometimes you get outclassed. It hasn’t often happened to us let’s forget it and get ready for the next one.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Best things from the game, given the first half performance it did not damage our goal difference as much as it was looking like it would do and Dunk avoiding the 10 yellow card ban. Things will look so different when we take 3 points off Norwich. As said teams below us still to play Man U

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports