Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I've noticed this when I look at the comments under articles on the Guardian website (which I stopped doing after I realised that there's about 10 regular and coherent contributers and 90% of the rest only post under Liverpool or Man U results).

Basically:
Nobody gives them enough credit
Everybody's against them.
Their team doesn't cost any more than anybody else's because they've never spent £80m on a single player.
They're not financially doped because their accounts show they make a profit.

I don't get the impression that winning actually brings them any satisfaction at all. It's mostly negative "take that UEFA/FA/United/Liverpool" rather than any positive reaction.

And yes, the City fans I know personally are lovely, but I could say that about almost any club.

Probably because most of them aren’t real football fans, just glory hunters. Haven’t been to a game, probably aren’t even from Manchester.

One word of caution, if things continue to progress here we’ll start to pick up these kind of fans. We’re an attractive club to watch right now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There's also nothing quite like beating a gambling funded team

Sneer all you like at the source of Tony's wealth, but he hasn't used unpaid creditors' money to fund us.

(When you next come up with a stone to throw, it might be worth considering that the see-through stuff surrounding you is a little fragile).

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Well, that was a fun way to spend lunchtime! I was one of the lucky few to be there last night (and my ears are still slightly ringing, and my voice slightly husky) despite my occasionally dodgy back throwing itself out at the weekend, and I'm currently walking like I've #### myself!

Whilst I posted a couple of comments from before the match (Pep watching the goalie warm up, chatting with his ex-chum GP) I'd not been back on the thread as it was such breathless stuff at the game itself. The heart rate monitor on my new Fitbit was put through its paces when BDB did his goal mouth scramble! :lolol: So, have just read through the whole thread and it relived various bits.

It was a really magnificent evening... The team did us proud, my fellow fans were in fine voice (one of the loudest games I'd been to? As with the Chelsea friendly and the Southampton games, both with 2,000-odd of us, those lucky enough to be present made up for those we knew would have loved to be there), and the final result was entirely justified. I was rather relieved too that we managed to hold the lead for the final 20 or so minutes, and not fall into a late error/dodgy ref or VAR decision. Looking forward to Sunday's final match even more now!

And just three weeks until the fixtures come out! :albion2:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
and what about that Foden-****. Guard of honour, roundly applauded by all the home stands, no abuse whatsoever toward him or his team at all first half, scores after HT and cups his ears!?

I don't normally get that wound up by that pantomine sort of thing, but the long absence of fans, getting back to the grounds, just seemed a really, well pathetic thing to have done to a team or set of fans that have never given you anything but respect generally, including a large portion of the ground applauding your last title win.

"Foden Foden what's the score, Foden what's the score?" enjoyed that though. :lolol:
I wasn't there and I didn't see the game on TV, (so I'll understand if you stop reading at this point!), but listening on MoTD it seemed like Foden was booed every time he got the ball, certainly in the early stages. I wondered why we were being so ungracious to an exciting young English talent, and in that respect I quite understood his 'cupping' gesture when he scored.

So was he being booed? And if so why?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I wasn't there and I didn't see the game on TV, (so I'll understand if you stop reading at this point!), but listening on MoTD it seemed like Foden was booed every time he got the ball, certainly in the early stages. I wondered why we were being so ungracious to an exciting young English talent, and in that respect I quite understood his 'cupping' gesture when he scored.

I was there, in the South Stand and didn't hear any booing. Other than maybe going down a bit easy (although I didn't really note that either from him), I'm not sure I registered any cause to boo him or heard any. If he was then might explain the ear cupping then and I take it all back.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Really? They got the arse about that? A couple of fist pumps because his side have got back into the game? Nothing disrespectful at all if you ask me. Potter doesn't have anything to apologise for.
Yeah, funny how it turned from a friendly chat just before the second half to the finger wagging at full time over that.
I've seen his hairy little pit bull assistant acting like that in previous games on TV too, he seems a complete arse.
Edited to say he reminds me of Dave Hedgehog from Bottom ��

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Probably because most of them aren’t real football fans, just glory hunters. Haven’t been to a game, probably aren’t even from Manchester.

One word of caution, if things continue to progress here we’ll start to pick up these kind of fans. We’re an attractive club to watch right now.

I agree in general, but unfortunately I don't think attending games or being from Manchester provide full protection from boggle-eyed delusion.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

The crowd were definitely determined to belie our reputation for being too nice and, having seen how much it helped, I am fully in favour. After a year of feeling a bit frustrated and powerless watching football on screens, I have to say it was thoroughly cathartic too. Mahrez was booed by the East Stand when he ran forward to make the first goal. I think Foden got some, but it seemed to be Gundogan who was getting most of it. I saw AJ's tackle on him live, but haven't yet seen it up close on TV. It looked worthy of a yellow in real time as he caught him when over-stretching for a ball that was out of his reach. However, Gundogan spent a lot of time on the deck and, after he got up he was booed by a partisan crowd not convinced that he wasn't laying it on thick to try to get AJ a red. To be fair to Gundogan, I don't think he was. He was hurt. My memory may be fooling me, but I think Foden stuck his oar in with the ref in at the time and got a bit of booing after this intervention.

Good goal from Foden, but Webster really should have known what he would do on that foot and forced him wide. I think he was in two minds because White was with Foden and he would have been leaving space in the middle had he tried to shepherd him.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Before kick off, the club put a fitting memorial video, on the big screen, of those who have died in the last season.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Absolutely gutted. Went to every home game up till Covid in that season, could have got a ticket tonight being in 2nd tier, my pub finally reopened tonight after 7 odd months so had to be there. Couldn't believe the scoreline, incredible, so so jealous !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

One of the Sky boxes went down in my pub, so I could only show the 1st half as all my bookings were for the Chelsea game.

I'm right pissed off.:censored:

Chickenlittle

Feb 6, 2017
South coast
The team - Magnificent

The crowd - Magnificent

Graham Potters reaction at the final whistle - Pure class, unlike Pep & Co.

Another mention for the crowd, you were that 12th man for us tonight

Nice to see Dunk and Duffy on the pitch at the end

That will go down as one of my all time favourite games over the last 59 years.

Here's a poem I wrote back in 2011, some of it is on the wall in the East Stand Lower concourse, it sums up how I feel tonight.

Me and Dad

Please take me to The Goldstone Dad, I'd really like to go
I've never seen a football match, oh please just make it so
I'll take you son but you must behave and not just muck about
But watch and cheer the boys in blue and maybe give a shout
And watch out if the ball comes near, just mind your head and dip
And pay no heed to naughty words that slip through grown ups lips

So off we went that rainy day in 1962
To see the team in brilliant shirts with stripes of white and blue
The Goldstone was an awsome sight seen through my keen young eyes
The terrace, pitch and people, flood lights towering in the sky
Crowds of people, sights and sounds, the smell of grass and fags
Listening to the grown ups talking, laughing at their gags

The teams ran out and cheers began, some boos for the opposition
A song rang out and singing started from all in our position
What is that song called Dad? I asked, and why are people singing
That's Good old Sussex by the sea, it sometimes helps us winning
We won the game and I was hooked, please can I come again?
I didn't mind the standing Dad, I didn't mind the rain

And so began my love affair with the team in blue and white
I really had no choice at all, it always just felt just right
Dad died in 1975 and look at what he missed
promotion to division one, league trophies being kissed
A small slight lad called Peter Ward the best we'd ever seen
The FA Cup at Wembley, just United spoiled our dream

The trio of devious traitors who ripped our club apart
The Goldstone being torn down would have broken his tired heart
Two sad years without a home, the club saved by Dick Knight
Moving to The Withdean to save our clubs dire plight
Ten long years of fighting trying to get our stadium built
Small minded Parish Councillors live with their share of guilt

The ups and downs, the wins defeats, a rollercoaster ride
But always cheering Albion on with love and hope and pride
And finally The Amex rose after all the years of pain
With thanks to Mr Tony Bloom, no more freezing in the rain
But when I take my seat at last, one thing will make me glad
That day in 1962, The Goldstone, me and Dad.

Leigh Sturgeon 2011

I think I have something in my eye :cry:

Brilliant :bowdown:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Manchester Evening News correspondent Stuart Brennan after his first bizarre salty rant is now into conspiracy mode. Classic case of whine made of sour grapes and a board of hard blue cheese.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...news/var-man-city-decisions-brighton-20631006
Oh goody - a journo telling the world what referees should do - cock!

Actually, looking at it objectively - something our friends in Manchester appear unable to do - didn't the VAR do exactly what we've been wanting the VAR to do ever the bloody thing was invented; only to intervene when the on-field referee has made a clear and obvious error (a howler to you and me).
The decisions in this match were all in the 'could have been given/could have not been given' category - 50/50 - could have gone either way - however you want to put it. This time, they were in our favour and weren't overturned - a rarity for this season! In fact the only potential 'clear and obvious' error was the ref missing the handball that should have given us a penalty - but let's leave that one alone. We don't want to rub it in to those poor suffering Citeh fans, do we?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here