Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Effort is not the problem (though I admit to being concerned at seeing the team celebrating after the Norwich game like it's already done. It's not.) We passed them the ball, directly, fifteen times in the first half alone. (I'm in Spain, the Spanish commentators counted and reshowed them). If you do that against any team in the Premier League, you'll lose, and you'll make them look good. If you do it against a team that's already good, you'll get humiliated.

Also there were, what? Eight fouls in the entire game? I don't ask or expect us to beat teams that have been assembled for the price of a small country's economy, but I do expect us to try to compete. Snap at them, try to ruffle a few feathers. At least try to pass the ball to a teammate. This stuff should not be beyond Premier League players no matter who the opposition is. (Look at Valladolid's performance against Barcelona tonight for an example. A similar gulf in quality and budget but a world of difference in the approach. And the result.)

We have been too soft for years. The top teams take you out if you threaten, we run alongside and admire the skill

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
We were utter shit tonight. An embarrassingly foul, nostril stripping, steaming hot pile of dung, so rotten the state of Denmark seemed like a scented candle by comparison. We need better players. And I’ve yet to be convinced we‘ve got the right manager. Jury still out for me, seems incredibly naive at times.
Worst display so far under Potter. That game shows how important pace is in the PL, and we had zero in that starting XI. I thought Bernardo was pacey but he was roasted by Walker. Thought Connolly had a bit of pace but he never had a sniff, boy against men. Only player in our squad with genuine pace is Lamptey, we're glaringly light here. Even Ryan, normally reliable was awful today. Trossard had a couple of decent moments but struggling to think of any others who can hold their heads up. Dreadful performance

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You’re absolutely gutted that we’re likely staying up. Gaining brief relief tonight,

For balance, we all loved your recent trip to Anfield. For 90 minutes, ripped apart, Roy looked shell shocked.

Gutted. Almost as gutted as someone might feel to spend their hard earned timed trying to convince an Albion supporter they actually follow Palace. Wifey must be proud x

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Worst display so far under Potter. That game shows how important pace is in the PL, and we had zero in that starting XI. I thought Bernardo was pacey but he was roasted by Walker. Thought Connolly had a bit of pace but he never had a sniff, boy against men. Only player in our squad with genuine pace is Lamptey, we're glaringly light here. Even Ryan, normally reliable was awful today. Trossard had a couple of decent moments but struggling to think of any others who can hold their heads up. Dreadful performance

Agree about pace. Need to focus on this for next signings.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Again, all i am doing is disagreeing. What is so difficult for you to deal wit about that? You joined in 2013, the pilchard before 2011, so come on, out Albion me, i dare you. Prove your worthiness.
Why can you not cope with opposing views? What you hiding?

You have got your own problems according to the Holmesdale fans complaining about your style of play with three defensive midfielders etc. Maybe join in with those discussions .

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

There is a bit of a misconception about Connolly that he is quick, he isn’t. He’s got a great engine and never gives up and likes to
play on the shoulder of defenders and hassle them constantly but he isn’t particularly quick at all. Regularly seen him try to outpace defenders this season and nearly always gets caught.

He’s got great potential and talent but speed isn’t one of his strong points.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter should get the players in for 10am training tomorrow morning and if anyone's a minute or more late, halve their wages for the week. 36 points from 35 games is relegation ratio in any other season.

Totally unacceptable. Now the wait for tomorrow. Thanks a fooking bunch.

There is a bit of a misconception about Connolly that he is quick, he isn’t. He’s got a great engine and never gives up and likes to
play on the shoulder of defenders and hassle them constantly but he isn’t particularly quick at all. Regularly seen him try to outpace defenders this season and nearly always gets caught.

He’s got great potential and talent but speed isn’t one of his strong points.

Agree with this, there's a Cruijffian saying though:

"Speed is often confused with insight. When I start running earlier than the others, I appear faster."

I think he is already quite good at this and experience will help him a lot. He is averagely quick but it is apparent he sees the right spaces, he just needs to experience how PL defenders deal with this compared to PL2 defenders, and he'll be able to utilise that cleverness to larger extent. You'd be surprised to know how many strikers are pretty clueless in this aspect. I was shocked hearing pro coaches talk about the lack of insight of a lot of strikers while doing my coaching education.

Needs a bit of muscle as well but that usually comes naturally, the difference between a 20 year old and a 25 year old in terms of strength is pretty big.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
All the performances since the break have below par, except 80 mins against Liverpool and 10 minutes against Arsenal.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Agree with this, there's a Cruijffian saying though:

"Speed is often confused with insight. When I start running earlier than the others, I appear faster."

I think he is already quite good at this and experience will help him a lot. He is averagely quick but it is apparent he sees the right spaces, he just needs to experience how PL defenders deal with this compared to PL2 defenders, and he'll be able to utilise that cleverness to larger extent. You'd be surprised to know how many strikers are pretty clueless in this aspect. I was shocked hearing pro coaches talk about the lack of insight of a lot of strikers while doing my coaching education.

Needs a bit of muscle as well but that usually comes naturally, the difference between a 20 year old and a 25 year old in terms of strength is pretty big.

Speed of thought is worth half a second, which at 15 mph in at least three yards.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Joe Hart twiddling his thumbs at present.
Could do a pay per game, with a small retainer if an unused sub for games.
Ryan declining as season goes on, did the same last season.
If that was a team that had to show Potter what they could do we have serious attitude problems.
Didn't try at all and goal difference takes a pounding......as predicted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If that was a team that had to show Potter what they could do we have serious attitude problems.

The answer to Ryan's declining season (it's not declining - one poor game) is Joe Hart.

https://news.paddypower.com/football/2017/07/17/five-worst-joe-hart-blunders-ahead-west-ham-move/

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I don't think that Joe Hart is an upgrade. I think that we need to hold off on judging Maty, I think he is a good keeper for our level. The City game being a huge exception but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blimey, last night wasn't just about the score (that was the flattering bit). That was the worse Albion performance I can remember in a long time, as many have said Propper was woeful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here