Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Leeds United **** Official Match Thread ****

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
There was absolutely no justification for booing that performance. Even Mr Leeds Beckford said were were the best team by a country mile.

Booing is for when people aren't trying or give up.

Short Memories!!

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
What would that achieve? We'd still have Locadia and Connolly as our other options, both of whom are behind Maupay in the pecking order. It would make no sense to let our second best striker go on loan.

If we do manage to sign one in the January window?

There is no doubt he is a competent striker (gets in the right area and has the quality to put the ball in the net) so a short period in a team where he is scoring goals can only do him some good.
With DW and a hopefully confident incomer and bring on Evan Ferguson and or Lorent Tolaj as back up.

This is just a thought experiment I am no Graham Potter

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Potter has a reputation for doing the unexected, and was employed, I thnk, in part for his reputation for playing youth. Yet so far, hhe hasn't really done that - Lamptey played a few games before his 20th. birthday, and Sarmiento has had a sniff from the bench (and I'm sure someone will find one or two other isolated occasions - I'm not counting cup games though, just the PL) but we're not really known for throwing in youngsters, are we? (even Big Bob is the 4th. yougest keeper in the PL).

So maybe it's time for Potter to demonstrate that boldness to try something unexpected, to try the 'if he's good enough, he's old enough' approach? More time for Sarmiento - doesn't necessarily need to start, but some regular sub appearances, give Richards a few goes, and even try Ferguson up front - he may be only 17, but he's a big lad, doesn't look at all physiclly bullied by the biggest that U23 opponents can provide.

Oh, and DJ Strollabout. I think his contract ends in June? DON'T try to get him to sign a new one.

Last edited:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
What would that achieve? We'd still have Locadia and Connolly as our other options, both of whom are behind Maupay in the pecking order. It would make no sense to let our second best striker go on loan.
I actually think Maupay had a good game, he chased, harried and got himself into the right places to score (unlike his replacement).

But he clearly is a confidence player. Earlier in the season he would have scored at least one tonight. But having been dropped you can see how he snatches at chances

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wasn't there tonight either.

But a "fantastic performance" is a win. This wasn't. And the oppo were mediocre at best. So the post match interviews from young Tariq (who I love) and from Graham were a bit disingenuous. From GP in particular. Scoring isn't some optional extra.

Well I'd obviously argue that the oppo were mediocre at best because our performance made them look like that. Aside from the lovely football we played, did you not notice our work rate off the ball as well? It was superb!

I can't criticise that team performance today in terms of effort and the football we played throughout.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Although many including me will agree with you to an extent, Jota who scored for Liverpool cost £40-45m. Salah and Mane cost around £35m each (and all three would go for £100m or more if sold in January).
A decent striker is hard to find, and we are not in that league.

But, I think we did well today. It wasn't a "bore draw", it was a fantastic performance (best of the season) apart from the end result. There were so many positives from the match (Lamptey, Cucurella, Trossard etc).
The only problem was bringing on Locadia, which was depressing.]

Your central point is true, we do need a clinical striker, but also Midfielders who can shoot straight (sorry Biss, you are a fantastic player, apart from your shooting).

Your points are well made and maybe a "bore draw" was a bit harsh but despite the very entertaining performance from most of the team, we still didn't convert any of the chances, a couple being "nailed on". Locadia was a strange choice which blunted any edge that we may have had even more. We need to score goals but as you rightly say, top drawer strikers come with a big price tag so we need to look hard for the right solution and look now.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I’m in a positive place, in a week where I could easily have been killed in a car crash and last nights hurricane in Alnwick - well, let’s just say it lends a certain perspective to proceedings.

Sure we didn’t score, but equally they were very, very lucky - just like I was when I walked away from a car wreck on Monday. That’s what life is all about - luck, and tonight they had it in abundance.

For me, I asked for a more positive approach, more zip, verve, effort and (for the most part) I got it. Lest we forget, Leeds are world beating giants and we’re not fit to lace their boots.

Yet we did, whilst cunningly tying their shoelaces together and danced round their lumbering ‘ballers akin to a bunch of Morris dancers twirling about a maypole.

Now, where’s the beer tent ?

This

They were lucky.as with the Arsenal game,we did not get 3 points but i am proud to be an Albion fan

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Anyone see Spurs V Leeds??

There is a reason that they never came close to matching that, GP got the tactics and the team spot on!!
Anyone who booed that will never be satisfied.
When you boo, you are booing the whole team and the tactics.
Did Bobby Sanchez deserve booing??
How about Marc?
Adam?
Lewis?
Joel?
Tariq?
need I go on??

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Disappointing result for a pretty decent performance.
I'd be more worried if I was a Leeds fan tonight.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Potter has a reputation for doing the unexected, and was employed, I thnk, in part for his reputation for playing youth. Yet so far, hhe hasn't really done that - Lamptey played a few games before his 20th. birthday, and Sarmiento has had a sniff from the bench (and I'm sure someone will find one or two other isolated occasions - I'm nit counting cup games though, just the PL) but we're not really known for throwing in youngsters, are we? (even Big Bob is the 4th. yougest keeper in the PL).

So maybe it's time for Potter to demonstrate that boldness to try something unexpected, to try the 'if he's good enough, he's old enough' approach? More time for Sarmiento - doesn't necessarily need to start, but some regular sub appearances, give Richards a few goes, and even try Ferguson up front - he may be only 17, but he's a big lad, doesn't look at all physiclly bullied by the biggest that U23 opponents can provide.

Oh, and DJ Strollabout. I think his contract ends in June? DON'T try to get him to sign a new one.

I think we've both watched a fair few u23 games this season, if I remember the threads correctly. Yes, that goal by Ferguson against Everton was superb!, and he certainly looks good, for the future.

He hasn't been starting every single game though in the U23's even tbf, and it's a huge step up to Premier League level.

Where I would agree with you, is that if Locadia is the only alternative, then yes, it's got to be worth giving the youngsters some first team game time, in the absence of anyone else, all the time Welbeck is injured.

I think someone has already mentioned. Maybe it's devilment in such speculation? but I also wonder if bringing Locadia on is actually Potter sending out a message?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Your points are well made and maybe a "bore draw" was a bit harsh but despite the very entertaining performance from most of the team, we still didn't convert any of the chances, a couple being "nailed on". Locadia was a strange choice which blunted any edge that we may have had even more. We need to score goals but as you rightly say, top drawer strikers come with a big price tag so we need to look hard for the right solution and look now.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with you on that. The lad Ferguson looks very good for under 23s and although he is only 18, maybe there is a solution from within.

However, it will be difficult to find someone in January. Now if we could get Welbeck fit again we might have a chance to stay in the top 10.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Yes, I agree with you on that. The lad Ferguson looks very good for under 23s and although he is only 18, maybe there is a solution from within.

However, it will be difficult to find someone in January. Now if we could get Welbeck fit again we might have a chance to stay in the top 10.

Here's hoping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here