Brighton & Hove Albion vs Hull City **Official Match Thread**

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fixtures!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Fact of the day: We're the only team in the top 10 that hasn't won a game by more than 1 goal.

Fact of the Day 2: We haven't been in a losing position in a Championship game so far this season.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Stockdale getting stick on the phone in. Very harsh I thought. For me he was confident and mostly came for crosses and dealt with them well. Good performance for me (and I am one of those who thought he wasn't great last season), so credit where it is due and give the guy some praise

Feb 14, 2010
Stockdale getting stick on the phone in. Very harsh I thought. For me he was confident and mostly came for crosses and dealt with them well. Good performance for me (and I am one of those who thought he wasn't great last season), so credit where it is due and give the guy some praise

Wasnt there but people will observe and comment. Normally the fans call it how it is. He has been p[raised by the fans this season. He was dreadful last season but started very well this year. Im quite confident that he knows he was shit last year and is determined this season to do well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not heard the phone in but if so that's harsh and not how I saw it. Two or three very good punches, a good double save and as usual mostly very good distribution. Very nearly got us into trouble with one bit of fannying around but otherwise very solid.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I thought he was Hull's best chance of an equaliser in the first half. He seemed to be on a different planet to the back 4 and put both Greer and Uwe in trouble with some pass outs.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Hull had loads of possession second half, but I can't remember Stockdale needing to make anything other than a regulation save. A few crosses in the box always makes you nervous, but again, the defence dealt with it.

All in all, a good win against a decent team; it'd be nice if we could smash someone 3-0 though. I'd start to believe that we're top 2 material then.

In my eyes the top teams are the ones who can grind out marginal wins against good opposition. I do agree we're due to batter someone soon though.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I thought he was Hull's best chance of an equaliser in the first half. He seemed to be on a different planet to the back 4 and put both Greer and Uwe in trouble with some pass outs.

I didn't see it that way at all

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stockdale probably worried some fans by double dribbling around the opponents instead of booting it. A couple of dodgy bits of distribution, but his keeping was perfect. Punched a couple of crosses clear, caught a couple, and made the save when needed. Didn't agree with the criticism on Sussex radio.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Harsh indeed - I thought he did everything needed with minimal fuss. The only tiny criticism I'd have would be for his pissing about with the ball at his feet in the first half which could very easily have been trouble in other circumstances - save that for when we're 5-0 up with 30 seconds to play, please.

Overall though he was nowhere near deserving of any real criticism, and should also be highlighted for his STUNNING volley in the pre-match warm-up.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I thought Stockdale looked in absolute command of his area and gave me a lot of confidence. A superb punch from a corner in the first half too. Cracking job from him so far this season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Stockdale probably worried some fans by double dribbling around the opponents instead of booting it. A couple of dodgy bits of distribution, but his keeping was perfect. Punched a couple of crosses clear, caught a couple, and made the save when needed. Didn't agree with the criticism on Sussex radio.

There wasn't much else to moan about ...was all a bit daft

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There wasn't much else to moan about ...was all a bit daft
Maybe the lack of finishing after the first goal? And we defended well, but I imagine Chris would have preferred us to have had more of the ball in the second half instead of being under pressure for long periods.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm now genuinely quite confident about our chances of promotion, the most optimistic I've been since Poyet was in charge. Is anyone else?

I want to be. Last season was really bad, and I'm still not over it in that I still think we're going to slip up and show we've just been lucky. I thought before this game a win would have me being more confident, and wash away a lot of the bad taste, but it doesn't seem to have worked out that way. We again had a poor second half, and it still feels like our success is as much to do with opponents not taking chances. We drop too deep, and today particularly we were too slow on counter attacks with few players looking to get forward and support our attacks.

As mentioned elsewhere, we haven't won a game by more than one goal. When they're that tight and your opponents aren't taking their chances, there is a sense that against better opposition it'll all go wrong for us.

But we've now played Ipswich and Hull and walked away with 6 points. Logically, you'd think that would be an indication I should be more confident, I'm just not. Not yet, anyway.

Hull had loads of possession second half, but I can't remember Stockdale needing to make anything other than a regulation save. A few crosses in the box always makes you nervous, but again, the defence dealt with it.

Mostly, I think I agree, though was a little more generous on the ratings thread. I would add in the second half there was a near post save from stockdale that was better than a regulation save, and a double save (though it was a double save because he parried the first out toward a Hull player). And would also add that Greer needs to accept some of the blame for their confusions, and poor passing. His distribution was quite bad in the first half, better in the second. Good on crosses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here