Date: Sunday 19th March 2023
Kick-off: 14:15 GMT
Referee: Jarred Gillett
Assistants: Simon Long, Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: Simon Hooper
VAR: Michael Salisbury
Additional VAR: Simon Bennett

Brighton and Hove Albion celebrate a goal

Brighton's impressive form and style of play has prompted praise from Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola

Brighton & Hove Albion will provide as tough a test as any of their higher-profile Premier League counterparts in Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final, says Grimsby Town boss Paul Hurst.

About 5,000 fans will follow the League Two side to the south coast, to take on a side 76 places above them.
Albion, in seventh, have lost just one of their past 12 games.

"They might not have the worldwide name of a Man United, Liverpool or Man City," Hurst told BBC Radio Humberside.

"But in terms of how they're playing, they're a fantastic team and when [Pep - Manchester City boss] Guardiola mentions the style of play and manager, you know it's something to behold."

Seagulls gameplan gives Hurst 'loads' of dilemmas

Grimsby's player celebrate their win over Southampton

Grimsby have already won at Premier League side Southampton in the FA Cup this season

The Mariners reached the last eight of the world's oldest domestic football cup competition by winning at Southampton, another Premier League outfit in that part of the world - and also dumped out Plymouth, Cambridge, Burton and Luton en route.

Hurst's mind has also been preoccupied by maintaining their fourth-tier status, helped by a midweek win at Sutton United, while also looking toward this weekend's tie.

The 48-year-old says the video work has been "ominous to watch", given the "loads" of dilemmas that Premier League teams have struggled to cope with.

All he is focused on now is fine-tuning his team selection and making sure the side give it their all.

"We'll need luck, and I'm not ashamed to say that in the slightest," Hurst added. "We are going to need discipline and lots of energy, but ultimately we know the size of the task.

"That's going to be extremely difficult. But while it's 0-0 and there are two teams out there, you've got to give it your best shot.

"Whatever happens on Sunday, there will be no disgrace. The players should be very proud, the club and supporters; but at the same time there's that bit where you just want to do well and give a good account of yourselves. We've got nothing to lose."

Seagulls ready to take opportunity​

Albion's long climb from near-extinction and a nomadic existence, to an outfit of genuine Premier League quality has changed expectations and given fans an opportunity to experience moments they might never have thought possible in the late nineties.

The Seagulls have not been to an FA Cup final in 40 years, and marking the anniversary of the two Manchester United matches with another appearance in the showpiece would be apt.

It is an opportunity not to be missed for boss Roberto de Zerbi, who would take the club to only their second semi-final in the cup since 1983 if they beat Grimsby.

"I want our people and fans to support our players, because Sunday is a difficult game," De Zerbi told the press.

"We cannot go there and think 'We are Brighton in the Premier League and Grimsby are in the fourth division' - because we will make a big, big mistake.

"We have to play seriously, because for us it's a big opportunity to go to Wembley and we have to think about this before the game."

Roberto De Zerbi's Grimsby Town Press Conference

Last edited:

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
What a great day this is going to be for everyone associated with both BHAFC and GTFC, whatever the result.

On behalf of all Albion fans I'd like to extend a warm welcome to Grimsby fans and to congratulate them on having reached the FA Cup QFs, a tremendous achievement for a mid-table League 2 club, promoted from the National League less than a year ago. Albion fans, more than most, will appreciate and respect Grimsby's achievements, having similarly found ourselves rooted in the lower echelons of the football league just over two decades ago. We know only too well from our own, recent history what occasions such as this can mean to a smaller club and its fans, especially one which has reached the QF entirely on merit, having dispatched five higher-ranking teams in the process.

Grimsby's support has been phenomenal throughout this season's FA Cup campaign and they have made many friends en route, having entertained us all with their fans' fishy frolics. And so, continuing the theme, here's a Seagull's take on today's game, suitably populated with piscine puns!

It haddock-curred to most Albion fans that this is a great chance for us to reach an FA Cup SF. We have home advantage at the Amex (Grimsby's and our fans will easily fillet). Cod willing, I hope we batter Grimsby and repeatedly fill their net. If we flounder, everyone will carp on about it and we'll be herring about it for years to come. We must salmon up our strength, flex our mussels and pursue a turbot-charged performance up-front, sticking to defensive bass-ics at the back (it's a shame Lamprey won't be fit).

Of course, we need to be aware of the scale of this challenge and app-roach Grimsby with utmost respect and a sense of porpoise. Our Wembley bream is still alive (in no small part due to the commitment of Tunny Bloom and Paul Barbel) and that should now be our sole focus. If we can secure a plaice in the SF that will be absolutely brill.

I'll be perch-ed on the edge of my seat, watching with baited breath, hooked with excitement until the final whistle. For those who can't get to the game, I understand that MyAlbion will be assembling a live commentary team comprising former Albion legends Glenn Moray, Craig Mackerel Smith, Hake Forster-Caskey and Adam Eel-Abd.

I hope that everyone has a whale of a time today. UTA!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What a great day this is going to be for everyone associated with both BHAFC and GTFC, whatever the result.

On behalf of all Albion fans I'd like to extend a warm welcome to Grimsby fans and to congratulate them on having reached the FA Cup QFs, a tremendous achievement for a mid-table League 2 club, promoted from the National League less than a year ago. Albion fans, more than most, will appreciate and respect Grimsby's achievements, having similarly found ourselves rooted in the lower echelons of the football league just over two decades ago. We know only too well from our own, recent history what occasions such as this can mean to a smaller club and its fans, especially one which has reached the QF entirely on merit, having dispatched five higher-ranking teams in the process.

Grimsby's support has been phenomenal throughout this season's FA Cup campaign and they have made many friends en route, having entertained us all with their fans' fishy frolics. And so, continuing the theme, here's a Seagull's take on today's game, suitably populated with piscine puns!

It haddock-curred to most Albion fans that this is a great chance for us to reach an FA Cup SF. We have home advantage at the Amex (Grimsby's and our fans will easily fillet). Cod willing, I hope we batter Grimsby and repeatedly fill their net. If we flounder, everyone will carp on about it and we'll be herring about it for years to come. We must salmon up our strength, flex our mussels and pursue a turbot-charged performance up-front, sticking to defensive bass-ics at the back (it's a shame Lamprey won't be fit).

Of course, we need to be aware of the scale of this challenge and app-roach Grimsby with utmost respect and a sense of porpoise. Our Wembley bream is still alive (in no small part due to the commitment of Tunny Bloom and Paul Barbel) and that should now be our sole focus. If we can secure a plaice in the SF that will be absolutely brill.

I'll be perch-ed on the edge of my seat, watching with baited breath, hooked with excitement until the final whistle. For those who can't get to the game, I understand that MyAlbion will be assembling a live commentary team comprising former Albion legends Glenn Moray, Craig Mackerel Smith, Hake Forster-Caskey and Adam Eel-Abd.

Isn't it odd how the mind works at 5.00 in the morning :lol:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Leaving for the game shortly. Really looking forward to it although having watched Man City last night I’m not sure why we are bothering!

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015

No sure how original? -but a wonderful parody!

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Looking at Manchester City's form, getting into the top four in the Premier League is now a more realistic goal for BHAFC than winning the FA Cup.
Leaving for the game shortly. Really looking forward to it although having watched Man City last night I’m not sure why we are bothering!
We can live in hope though that Man City have an injury ridden, red card plagued off day in the FA Cup semi-finals against a team that isn't us. We of course manage to beat Grimsby and then thump our opponents in the other semi to find our way through to the final, which we approach in peak form.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Think we've got enough quality to do them. Expect them to defend well and try to hit us on the break.

It's their cup final so they'll go for it but towards the end of the second half I expect our strength, skill and fitness to show.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Would be nice if we dialled down the complacency and entitlement.

They’re going to be bang up for this. I predict a physical game and Gillet is an awful referee. Need to bring it on the pitch and stands, you can’t coast through a cup QF no matter who the opponents are.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Would be nice if we dialled down the complacency and entitlement.

They’re going to be bang up for this. I predict a physical game and Gillet is an awful referee. Need to bring it on the pitch and stands, you can’t coast through a cup QF no matter who the opponents are.
I’ve not read any on this thread as yet?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Oh do stop carping on 🙄

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
"We cannot go there and think 'We are Brighton in the Premier League and Grimsby are in the fourth division' - because we will make a big, big mistake.””

This is it 100%... I expect a hard physical game, we know what Northern lower league sides are like. Never mind a high score, let’s just get through and be in the semi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here